What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9A Root Rib and Elevator Horn Issue

md9680

Well Known Member
Friend
I cleco'd the left elevator horn to root rib and spar and, just to see how it would line up with the skin, cleco'd the spar to the outside of the skin. There's quite a bit of divergence from the expected alignment of the rib and skin. The rib is (as per instructions) riveted to the spar but I suspect I might have increased the radius of the riveted rib flange during the "slight bending" to allow the riveting. Since the rib is now riveted to the spar, how can I put the squeeze on that acute angle on the rib flange? Or is there something else I'm totally missing? Thank you for your replies.

RootRibAngle2.jpg

RootRibAngle4.jpg

Hmm... Worthy of a pause. You didn't change that weldament. I personally don't think you're missing anything. Call Vans. That weldament is funky (you can tell them I said so :). Although, 'maybe' the weld gusset will allow you to bend it into proper shape, which might be acceptable.

Well, Scott, it IS a pretty old kit I'm working with and I've replaced several parts already. Maybe they had an early batch of elevator horns out of spec. Thanks.

bent?

I know it is easy to bend the horn a bit while riveting, but not that much. You said it was an old kit - maybe it got bent in storage? If you can compare the angle with the other side, that could give you an idea. I think you could bend it to be correct, but it is a pretty critical location and I would check with Vans. It probably isn't very expensive and shipping should be cheap too.

Let us know what they say. Good luck with your build.

From Ken S. at Van's:

"Something odd is going on here, but since those parts were shipped well over a decade ago, it's hard to remember if there (were) problems with those parts. Could you get a protractor and measure the included angle of the weldment? I can use that to compare to parts here."

So, I measured 64-65 degrees, for those of you who might be inclined to check your elevator horns.

Will post more info as I get it...

Back