What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Post-OSH Notes from Mark (HBC rally)

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
Let me start by saying that good ideas were generated by the folks at Airventure. That in itself was my measure of success in all that was planned. With new safety recommendations delivered by the NTSB to the FAA directly involving the way amateur-built aircraft are certificated and operated, the reality is policies surrounding those items are being reviewed and scrutinized. With a week?s worth of meetings with groups from all over aviation now in the rearview mirror, I can honestly say that all those groups mentioned in conversation, forums or otherwise were included, and they all have some stake in the end product.

Attendance at the HBC rally was not as large as I had hoped, which was personally disappointing, but only from the aspect that I wanted to collect more thought. I know how important smart, well-guided policy is to everyone building and operating amateur-built aircraft, and I know how soon pen will be placed to paper. I?ll take responsibility for not advertising the event as well as it should have been. For what it?s worth, the time was chosen to enable those manufacturers and alphabet groups I invited the opportunity to finish their day at their respective booths, have a quick bite and make it over to the field. I planned the end-time based on the ability for attendees to make the Red Tails talk and movie showing. I placed the event in the HBC area to enable those who wanted the freedom of food and drink to partake, and, well, quite frankly all of those creations-of-airplanes make one heck of a meaningful backdrop. If you combine all of this with the potential for a first-run low attendance, it just didn?t add up to taking forum space. More importantly, I thought it best to have it on ?your turf?. In the future, I?ll take another approach and try to accommodate the suggestions of those who provided them.

There was a point in time where I stood there with my invited guests, waiting for folks to show up well after the start time and expressed my frustration to the words of ?I guess the homebuilt community doesn?t care.? It was my frustration of knowing I had been unsuccessful in tapping the knowledge and expertise that existed somewhere in the field of airplanes, tents and lawn chairs. I believe I tried to express that point to the group that did arrive, but it never made it to print, perhaps until now. However, in the end, every individual who did attend contributed in some manner, whether it was a thought provoking idea, story, or a simple raised hand as a vote to some of my polling questions.

For those who have reached out to me, whether it was through our talks at Airventure, or through the forums, blogs, radio shows, or emails I received, know I continue to read them all, and thank you for the time it takes to put thoughts into words. With amateur-built aircraft operations now in the spotlight, ideas that enhance safety or improve on our current process are always welcomed. I hope to see or hear from you at the next event. Fly safe, fly responsibly and have fun.

Mark Giron
Aviation Safety Inspector
General Aviation Branch (AFS-830)
Flight Standards Service

Since Louise worked the show in the Federal Pavilion, and the NTSB was right there, she picked up[ a hard copy of their report - the one that Mark is charged with responding to on behalf of the FAA. I have been reading through it and making some notes. When you look at the report in detail, it is easy to see how statistics can lead you down non-productive paths if you only look at the numbers and ignore the details of the various mishaps that make them up. I am going to send my notes to Mark to help with his project because I believe we need well-thought-out solutions that actually address the mishaps themselves, not just responses with SEEM to address them.

I was very pleased with Mark's understanding of the situation - both from an operations perspective and from the political one - and hope to help him in any way I can. If, as a community, we stick our head in the sand, then we will get new regulations and policies which restrict without enhancing. mark doesn't want this, and neither do we!

Paul

If, as a community, we stick our head in the sand, then we will get new regulations and policies which restrict without enhancing. mark doesn't want this, and neither do we!

Paul

I agree Paul. I didn't learn of the meeting until I returned from OSH. It was held less than 200 yds from where I was parked.

Hopefully, we can influence some of the decisions in a sensible and positive way.

Mark is a great guy, and he and I will work together in the future. I missed him being at HBC that night as well due to a conflict. He is a clear thinker, and an asset to the EAB community at FAA. :cool:

More attendance if advertised in HBC and at HB HQ.

I along with another -10 guy walked right past the meeting and we assumed it was private.

I did get to chat with the FAA, NTSB, local ATC while at Osh for the first time. It seemed like many avoided conversation with them. They were all very friendly.

Back