What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Well...Done...Sorta

cactusman

Well Known Member
Well I'm legal. Thanks to everyone on this board for your advice and comments - couldn't have done it without you. Special shout-outs to locals Rich S and Denny M for flight time and tech support, and to Dave (yes that Schmetterling's Aviation blog guy) - lunch and/or beers on me if we ever meet some day - you saved me from myself a few times!

Also Barb B at Van's deserves a lot of credit for helping keep this thing on track over 2 years!

First flight tent Nov 4. Then test phase, wheel pants/paint/throttle redo...does it ever end? lol.

286x10h.jpg

3169cag.jpg

10s6gs4.jpg

Nice job, it looks very nice. Congratulations.

You've made the mistake of flying it before you finished it. It's such a nice flying airplane that it's tough to stop! I've got a few things I'd like to change but can't bring myself to stop flying it.

How come it says Vans aircraft as the builder?

Did you have vans build it?
Interior looks nice. I like the seats. Simple but nice

How come it says Vans aircraft as the builder?

Did you have vans build it?
Interior looks nice. I like the seats. Simple but nice

Built as an E-LSA has to have Van's as the builder.

Abby and Flightline deserve all credit for the seats - saddle leather with cream - i think I drove her crazy over a year with questions. I think the upgrades were definitely worth it.

If it ELSA Vans will be the builder on the reg. If it is EAB, then the last name of the builder will be registered.

Last edited:
Nice job

Very nice job. Have fun and enjoy the fruits or your labor.

Gary

Well I'm legal. Thanks to everyone on this board for your advice and comments - couldn't have done it without you. Special shout-outs to locals Rich S and Denny M for flight time and tech support, and to Dave (yes that Schmetterling's Aviation blog guy) - lunch and/or beers on me if we ever meet some day - you saved me from myself a few times.
Wow, thanks for the thanks! It's always nice to hear that the writing work helped someone out.

Nice job John. I am in Sun City West and would like to drop by and see your plane sometime. What airport are you at?
Jerry

First flight tent Nov 4. Then test phase, wheel pants/paint/throttle redo...does it ever end? lol.

John, nice job getting your plane ready and paper work done. Now comes the fun part. Go FLY!!!

As for it ending... for me, there was a day when I realized I was so busy flying, I couldn't find time to do a 15 minute tweak to a part I wanted to add. My dog flies in the baggage compartment, and I need to make a litter cover for my head phone jacks. Totally optional addition, but I was so busy flying, seemed I couldn't find time to build a simple part. I think that qualifies as a big RV Grin moment.

You will get there. Working on wheel paints/paint/throttle and other finishing touches is great fun. But anything that gets in the way of flying starts to take it's toll...

Last edited:
Thanks for the nod, John. I know you will love flying it. When do we start a PHX weekend breakfast club of RV12's? Maybe brunch would be better -- us retirees don't get up early enough for a breakfast club!:D

Rich

Today RV-12 120691 flew its first flight.

Registered as an E-LSA N112J, it took off from KIWA the early morning of Nov 5, 2014 only to encounter unforecast winds of 03015G25 (rwy 12) upon return that resulted in a go around and diversion to nearby KCHD where we sat out out the winds, waited for a ride home and encountered several EAA types who gave it the twice over!

It has a left banking tendency at max throttle, but flys perfectly hands off during base and final in calm conditions. I have a slightly worrisome high (yet green) right EGT that needs a little investigating.

The video link below is the second flight taken by former RV-8 builder Charlie Wambolt at KCHD as I was beating sunset to make the 5 mile flight home to the hangar.

https://vimeo.com/111068672

Thanks to Vans for making an airplane that I can build and fly.

Great Job Comrade! Nice color combo in your cockpit, raise well spent.;) Cant wait to see it fully painted. Time to start using your Rudders peddles again. Let the fun begin.:D

Last edited:
Looks good, John. Good call on your part. Conservative decision making allows me to enjoy my cocktail while you're driving the bus!:D

Rich

Back