What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Crankshaft Seal Blowout In Flight and Emergency Landing

Gash

Well Known Member
Last Thursday while flying from Goodyear, Arizona to Boulder City, Nevada the crankshaft seal on my IO-375 blew out. The windscreen on my RV-8 became completely covered in oil in about 10 seconds and I was unable to see anything out the front. Oil pressure remained in the green, but at the rate oil was coming out the front of the airplane, I knew it wouldn't last long.

I was approximately 13 miles west of Kingman, Arizona at 6,500? MSL when this happened. I made a right turn to east and began a descent to the Kingman airport. At the same time, I selected ?Nearest? airport on my Dynon Skyview map display to give me a magenta line to follow since the only thing I could see from 10 to 2 o?clock was thick brown.

I got a Southwest Airlines crew overhead to relay my position and situation to Los Angeles Center in case I didn't make it to the airport for some reason. Out in this part of the desert, 6,500? is sometimes too low to communicate directly with ATC, and sure enough, I could hear LA Center, but they couldn't hear me.

Winds were calm at Kingman, so I chose Runway 21 due to its 150 ft width. I made a quick call on Kingman CTAF to see if there were any other aircraft up that I could do a formation landing with, but nobody else was around. For the first time in 30 years of flying, I was seriously concerned about my chances of getting the airplane on the ground safely. Nothing focuses the attention and heightens the senses like oil gushing over the windscreen and not knowing when it will run out.

I flew slightly south of the airport and set up for a left downwind. I could see alright out the side of the plane, just not out front. After turning final, the Skyview runway picture on my primary flight display really helped out with blind flying. I put the flight path marker on the numbers and drove it in. Of course, the tricky part was the landing. I descended very slowly and looked out left and right repeatedly to make sure I was approximately equidistant from the runway edges on either side. Touchdown was uneventful, and oil pressure was still good so I exited the runway and shut down on the ramp.

A download of my Skyview flight data shows that from the first indication of a problem until touchdown at Kingman was 5 minutes 30 seconds. A post flight check of the oil quantity showed 3 quarts remaining. I started the flight with 6 quarts. So I was leaking oil at about a half a quart a minute. If the crankshaft seal had blown out somewhere else over the Arizona desert where airports are few and far between, there is no way I would have made it to a runway, so I was quite lucky.

The next day, Air?Zona Aircraft Services at Kingman repaired the blown crankshaft seal and helped to troubleshoot the cause. I have an Anti Splat Aero oil separator that uses a crankcase vacuum valve attached to an exhaust pipe. I am very happy with the oil separator and it has always worked exactly as advertised. The inside of the fitting that connects the valve to the exhaust had heavy carbon deposits and was restricted to about 1/8? diameter, certainly enough to cause crankcase over pressure. The fitting has been installed for 24 months and has never been internally inspected. There were no other blockages in the oil separator or hoses to and from the engine. I will now clean out the valve fitting at each oil change. I believe there has been some discussion on this potential problem here.

The risk of crankshaft seal failure caused by carbon buildup inside the vacuum valve fitting should be reemphasized. That?s really the big lesson learned from this episode. I always run lean of peak and my EGTs are typically around 1200 F. I would be interested to know if there is a correlation between exhaust temperature and a tendency for carbon deposits to form inside a valve-to-pipe fitting.

The other point to ponder here is about maintaining aircraft control. I will not patronize the readers here with the oft-quoted platitudes on the subject. However, I will say that for the several seconds during which I had not yet formed a plan for getting my pink butt on the ground, it was comforting to know that I was at least pointed at the nearest airport, and I was at least flying the airplane. The rest of the particulars of how to land rubber side down eventually worked themselves out.

IMG_8419_zps71ccaa69.jpg

IMG_8423_zpsf3f22030.jpg

IMG_8420_zps6733e391.jpg

IMG_8418_zps34d909f7.jpg

IMG_8416_zps169c2f0d.jpg

IMG_8429_zpsd4186f5f.jpg

IMG_8428_zps5cee831b.jpg

Glad you got down in one piece.I see retaining plates for the front seal on ebay from time to time,something to consider.
Rhill

Good job on flying the plane.

Question: Is the seal glued in or just pressed in? If you landed off in the middle of no where, could the seal be pushed back in by hand and flown back to civilization (assuming the vent blockage was identified and cleared and you had some replacement oil to add) , or is the seal damaged in some way?

Bevan

Well don't getting it down. That's a great result.

You're obviously a calm guy. If I had that experience caused by an aftermarket part I might removing it for good.

That's one reason that I have my blowby tube open...I'd rather clean the belly occasionally.

Congratulations,

cleaning the belly

I was cleaning the belly last night thinking about a better way. I think I'll keep cleaning the belly.

Good write up and pictures and above all good flying!

Did you have a blow off slit cut into the hose between the ASA exhaust valve and the crankcase vent?

Nice job aviating

As they say, mechanical things break... 30 years of aviating, I guess your number came up. Glad to see you handled it so professionally.

Great job, hope you get it fixed, tested, washed and back up soon.

The fitting has been installed for 24 months and has never been internally inspected........I believe there has been some discussion on this potential problem here.

Serious question...were you truly unaware of the need for regular inspection and cleaning, and the simple precaution of installing a relief valve?

Good job getting down safely! - Appreciate the write-up. Curious about your answer to DanH's question. No stones, just goes to understand how messages get out. Maybe it should change.

Again - kudos to a cool head. I will add this training to my list in phase II.

Good job getting down safely! - Appreciate the write-up. Curious about your answer to DanH's question. No stones, just goes to understand how messages get out. Maybe it should change.

Exactly...

High Value In These Forums

Congratulations on a great outcome. Your willingness to share not only your experience (perfect "instrument" approach) but also the root cause of the problem will hopefully have more than a few forum readers taking note, and perhaps the supplier of the oil separator considering a safety notice to current users and new customers. Sounds like it's a good device, but may require some additional attention that users may not be aware of.
Well done.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Thanks for Posting

We never know how we might react to these events, great job with getting some help from "above". Their glad to get an aviator down safely. Great aviating and a cool head!!

BTW, the 180 Lyc will give oil pressure down to about one pint if you keep the
nose up a little. The oil pressure will start "bouncing" below that. Seen it.

John

Serious question...were you truly unaware of the need for regular inspection and cleaning, and the simple precaution of installing a relief valve?

Dan, on your first question, yes. Truly unaware. I think I read here a long time ago about this being a problem on RV-10s due to the long length of the exhaust pipe and potential cooling of exhaust gas into a temperature range that promotes carbon build up. But it didn't seem to be an issue with the shorter exhaust run on a 4-cylinder engine. Obviously this incident proves otherwise.

As for the relief valve, again I was unaware. Please direct me to a link where I can buy one. If none are available, then I'll fabricate one for myself. I don't know which was worse, figuring out how to land the airplane, or spending an entire day cleaning up the mess. I don't ever want this to happen again, so if there are further mechanical precautions that I can implement, then I'm going to do it.

Let me add my congratulations on a great job of handling the emergency - well done! Check your PM's Gash - I sent you a message.

This problem with coking up of the valve on the Anti-Spalt systems has been getting notice the past few months, and while Anti-Splat has maintained that it is only an RV-10 problem, we have had written reports right here on VAF of it happening in other models as well. Anti-Splat has ignored this - and now it nearly could have cost an airplane and a pilot.

I have talked with old-timers in the experimental airplane world who said that tried similar exhaust suction systems decades ago, and the valves coked up and seals blew out, so they decided the risk wasn't worth it - there is not much new under the sun, and designers who choose to ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

Based on the reports I have seen, I strongly urge anyone with one of these systems to install a relief valve (at the very least) right away. I too have dumped all the oil from an engine (due to a hose rupture, not a seal blow-out) - it is NOT a fun experience, and if you don't have an airport underneath you, it can end very badly.

Paul

Last edited:
That's one reason that I have my blowby tube open...I'd rather clean the belly occasionally.

Pierre, that's certainly a valid point and a reasonable choice to make. The way I look at it now is that there's no free lunch here. I'm either going to clean the belly occasionally, or I'm going to clean out the valve fitting occasionally.

I also acknowledge that a dirty belly won't break an airplane, but a plugged valve could. I will accept that risk and take all precautions to mitigate it. I now understand that the oil separator is not an install-and-forget item. It will require regular inspection and cleaning, which I will now do without fail.

The big issue here is that I really did not know this was necessary, and I'm sure the manufacturer did not know either, else he would send out a service bulletin. I left him a message and I'm sure we will be in touch today to go over it. Allan is a super guy and I have no hard feelings whatsoever. My goal is to identify what installation and operating conditions cause risk, then to find a way to mitigate the risk, and finally to communicate this as widely as possible to the experimental aviation community.

Lucky Lindy

Congratulations on getting back on the ground safely. Kind of a Lindbergh landing huh? (He had no front window at all in the Spirit of St. Louis). Lindbergh would slip to final while looking out the side window.

My father had a similar experience in a Corsair. He was airborne from an aircraft carrier when a broken hose completely covered his windscreen with oil. His only option, other than to ditch in the water, was put it down on the carrier. He could see the ship by sticking his head out the open canopy, but couldn't reach the rudder pedals while doing that. He obviously made it, obviously because this was a couple of years before I was born...

Great job !

Great job on flying the airplane first! This is a great lesson for all of us to keep what's most important job one. FLY THE AIRPLANE! Good SRM lesson too. Use whatever resources available to you to solve the problem. Glad you are ok and be sure to say hi on frequency next time you talk to ABQ center!

Hi, Great story glad it worked out for the best. I had a thought about the seal installation.
It seems to me that I have seen some with retaining plates for the seals using the 6 bolt holes in the front of the case. It would be easy to make some unless there is some reason not to, Just a thought?

Russ Emick,Jr.
Building RV-8

I will make this short . .

This is a little off the OP, but it goes to the issue of communications. While it is certainly the role of a responsible vendor to be aware of, and notify customers of potential safety issues, can it be done another way?

The huge convenience, instant accessibility, and participation of subject matter experts of VAF has overshadowed other communication paths. Vans can not be the center of this, too much liability. What if a white paper on this failure mode was written, how would some one find it buried in a thread under layers of comments?

Is there a way to post these things here negating all the legal pitfalls? Some way that a percentage of flyers can "agree" or otherwise respond with a collection of endorsing experts?

Recall a post by John Thocker about the Dynon freezing pitot? Even Dynon took their time in responding (12+ months?) but finally documented the issue properly.

Even if these reports, at best, become an awareness tool, isn't it better than leaving thousands of pilots in thousands of hours to rudely rediscover this on their own? Can EAA serve this function - those in the management of VAF and EAA - can you help us understand this?

OK, maybe not so short. Sorry.

If you want to keep oil off your belly, buy a Lycon built motor.

Nice job Gash, I would not want to try and land my 8 "Spirit of St Louis" style under the gun for the first time.

I also acknowledge that a dirty belly won't break an airplane, but a plugged valve could. I will accept that risk and take all precautions to mitigate it. I now understand that the oil separator is not an install-and-forget item. It will require regular inspection and cleaning, which I will now do without fail.

Just to be clear - the oil separator itself is not to blame in this case, just the valve that plumbs the breather into the exhaust, correct?

mcb

Hi, I looked it up and Lycoming parts book show`s retaining plates #73952 take`s 2 oil seal retaining plates. With no bolt holes it takes seal part # 77377

Russ Emick,Jr.

Just to be clear - the oil separator itself is not to blame in this case, just the valve that plumbs the breather into the exhaust, correct?

mcb

No, this is not correct. The clamp-on pipe that goes on the exhaust is what coked up. The valve is probably fine.

No, this is not correct. The clamp-on pipe that goes on the exhaust is what coked up. The valve is probably fine.

Yes, that's what I meant - i.e. "is the oil separator bolted to the firewall at issue here" - answer, no.

mcb

keeping up on issues

I will jump in here, hopefully to add useful information... and not just my humble opinion. The forum topics, ranging from safety to builds and so forth are beyon description in value. Just like any specialized field, the time required to keep current on issues is not insignificant. Making a concerted effort to read and keep current each week can help avoid some disasters.
The coking valve has been under lengthy discussion for some months now.
The advice to examine, either close up during oil changes, or with a small camera periodically has been discussed. The availability of a new saddle mount clamp on fixture from Antisplat is also in the forums. It has a double tube arrangement, thought to reduce temperatures on the inside tube... and therefore reduce coking. I have 60 hours on mine at present and I check it on a regular basis.
The blind landing related to all of us here is many things. An account of a cool, calm and logical pilot who faced a potentially fatal obscuration to forward visibility. He did exceedingly well. We can all store the details away, for the unlikely day we put the same experience to the test.
We can and should also stay abreast of the discussions of non-certified airplane parts that we install on our RV's. It is just good common sense.

The coking valve has been under lengthy discussion for some months now.
The advice to examine, either close up during oil changes, or with a small camera periodically has been discussed. The availability of a new saddle mount clamp on fixture from Antisplat is also in the forums.

Yep, here is a link to the thread------- http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=92980&highlight=coke

You might want to start at page 6------first time I saw any mention of the coke problem---January or so is when it was.

That said, it is not to blame Gash for not reading the thread, as the title may not have been of interest to him--------like so many things the info is out there, but getting it into the right hands at the right time.

As has been said before, great job doing what you needed to do, which is fly the plane.

Thanks for sharing your experience, hope folks will take away a nugget of info that will keep them healthy for a little longer.

Great job and I am so happy the outcome was as anyone could have wished for. Also thanks for the write up and sharing your experience.

Dan, on your first question, yes. Truly unaware.

Darn. I was afraid of that. It's easy to start thinking everybody got the memo....and it ain't necessarily so.

As for the relief valve, again I was unaware. Please direct me to a link where I can buy one.

Choices are:

(1) remove the separator outflow hose from the exhaust check valve and route it overboard in a conventional manner. Obviously, remove the check valve and cap the port.

(2) tee a relief valve into the separator outflow hose so an exhaust tap blockage can't build case pressure. The big thread is here:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=92980

See posts 98, 227, and 236 for relief valve information. Use a NAPA 2-29000.

Well done Brother Gash. Missed you at the nest at Copperstate but recycled carne asada on the inside of the airplane would have been a nasty clean up as well.

I've hated cleaning the belly of my 10 and looked at several alternatives, including anti-splat, but lowering my usual 9 qts to the brain trust's recommended 7 along with turning my outlet tube to drip on the exhaust pipe has reduced belly fouling by 98%. Nevertheless, after reading your comments I'll bump up the quantity on water, night, or rugged terrain flights and accept the cleaning as a risk mitigator.

Not too long ago I flew my first extended night flight from PVU to FFZ. It was smooth as silk, and my wife and daughter were blissfully asleep after a full day of the airplane actually being useful. It was also pitch black and I was admiring the capabilities of the SkyView system. About 20 miles or so ESE of BCE I decided to lean a little further and play around with the MPG rating. About a minute later, the engine suddenly and forcefully "burped". I immediately restored the fuel flow to where it had been and it returned to its normal sewing machine cadence. It had never done that before and hasn't ever since. I took the incident of a sign to fly smarter and always keep the envelope as large as possible. The terrain I was over was almost certainly lethal to dead stick. When my heart restarted, I tried to calculate if I would have been able to glide to Escalante, but there was no way. Off in the distance, I could see the lights of Page. My direct course would take me west of there but I turned toward Page and continued down over TBC, etc. Strong SA obviously benefited you and while it is tempting to fly as efficiently as possible, sometimes it makes more sense to take a slightly more meandering route, the execution of which demands higher situational awareness in itself.

Thanks for the report. Cherish the innermost flight suit as I know you do.

Last edited:
Great write up and even better pilotage. We all hope and train that when an emergency happens we will be ready to take the correct action and it looks like you were ready. Thanks for sharing and giving us yet another reason not to become complaisant in our daily flying.

add this to the list of reasons I'll just put inverted oil system on to keep the belly clean rather than mess around with separators and catch cans

also, GREAT work by the pilot, well done

Last edited:
Escalante

Escalante has some of the most airplane unfriendly landscape I have seen.
Glad you re-adjusted and all was well.
It is one of the places I love to look at.... but don't want to land on.

Great job getting it down without damage. That could have been much worse.

I flew home from Az today and aside from an annoying headwind, the flight was calm and cool. I had plenty of time to ponder this plugged valve situation and I'm wondering if a simple vacuum/pressure gauge teed into the breather line would not provide some useful warning. It seems that the coking over problem does not come on all at once, so it makes sense that a gauge indicating the crankcase pressure gradually going from negative to positive would be a good sign that the valve assembly needs service. There must be plenty of these tiny little suction gauges around now because of the glass revolution. I'll bet they'd work pretty good.

Gash,

Great job handling the emergency!

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Did I jinx you when I said, "this is the cleanest engine area we've seen"..!???:eek:

Very glad you got down safe

Regards,

Scott

Did I jinx you when I said, "this is the cleanest engine area we've seen"..!???

Hi Scott, believe it or not, the engine is now cleaner than before the incident. I used a huge pile of rags and about half a can of mineral spirits and now it looks better than new. Same for the aircraft exterior. The wrap is easy to clean. One wipe with mineral spirits, one wipe with a wet (water) cloth, and it's perfect.

I had a good conversation with Allan at Anti Splat Aero today. I explained the incident and described the coking inside the valve fitting. I also pointed out that I have had the valve installed for two years and had never inspected or cleaned it. Allan explained that he actually did previously send out a bulletin to all of his customers who bought the oil separator and vacuum valve. In fact, he spent considerable effort and expense on the mailings, so it was a serious undertaking on his part. I?m confident that he did his due diligence in getting the word out about this potential failure mode that requires regular inspection and maintenance to avoid.

Allan also explained how to install a relief valve, which is basically the same as what Dan Horton wrote in post #36 in this thread. All I need to do is simply cut the hose going to the exhaust, install a tee fitting, and then attach another vacuum valve (same one that?s attached to my exhaust pipe). If there is ever a restriction at the exhaust fitting again due to carbon buildup, then the relief valve at the tee fitting will save the day.

Now here are a couple of important take-aways from all of this. First, I accept full responsibility for this incident. I?m sure that Allan?s letter warning owners to perform periodic inspections arrived at my home back when he sent it out. I don?t remember reading it, so maybe it got lost or accidentally thrown out with the giant stack of coupons that fill my mailbox every day. Regardless, machines don?t care about owner ignorance. There is no slack for the pilot who ?should have? but didn?t. The system broke because it was supposed to be inspected and cleaned and I did not do it. It?s my fault, plain and simple. Will I ever have carbon buildup in my valve fitting again? Never. Lesson learned.

Second, I hope that nobody here blames the equipment or its source. That would be as unreasonable as failing to do oil changes and then blaming Lycoming when your engine quits. As I explained before, I will continue to use this oil separator because of the benefits it allows. I will just do a better job of maintaining my equipment from now on.

"I made a right turn to east and began a descent..."

"Winds were calm at Kingman..."

"I flew slightly south of the airport and set up for a left downwind."

Great job getting down safely. I had a fuel valve failure in a Bonanza once where the valve jammed when I shifted from one tank to another and the engine could not draw cruise power fuel flow. I had to reduce power because the engine was shaking, probably due to being over lean, and possibly due to detonation. I was 8,000 AGL, over Oklahoma (flat!) in CAVU weather. If you are going to have an engine problem that was about the best place and time to have it.

When I debriefed with an instructor later he asked why I started a descent before arriving over the field and why I flew a normal traffic pattern when I had an engine issue.

This is not to criticize - you are safe and that is the most important thing, but were there other factors that lead you to start a descent and to fly a normal pattern?

As the others have said, "Great job getting it down!"

Regarding the Anti-Splat Aero breather tube...

77.4 hours after installing mine, I thought I should take a look at the clamp on exhaust saddle mount, based on some of the comments I read on this forum.

Here is a picture of mine after only 77.4 hours:
Partial%2BBlockage.JPG

You can see that it is partially blocked in that short amount of time.

If you have one of these, I strongly recommend you remove it and clean it out every oil change, if not more frequently, and you may not have an issue. If you have a weld on fitting, you might want to think about discontinuing using it.

Last edited:
were there other factors that lead you to start a descent and to fly a normal pattern?

Yes, absolutely. Here was my thinking at the time:

1. Descent. Oil was gushing out of my engine fast. It's hard describe the extreme flow volume, but it was breathtaking. My first thought was to reduce the rate the engine was pumping oil overboard by bringing the power back. Data download shows that I initially pulled the power to 17" MAP and descended at 800 FPM until I saw I could definitely make the field, then I reduced to 9" or less for the remainder of the flight. Reduce power = airplane slows down or goes down (or both).

I was really not interested in showing up over the airport too high to land and then needing to orbit, all the while not being able to see out the front and wondering how long my engine would keep running. My thoughts were that I needed to land sooner rather than later, so might as well get on with it.

2. Pattern. I wouldn't exactly call it a normal pattern, but it did include left turns to a landing on Runway 21. Please see the map below from my data download. There were three reasons for choosing this ground track. First, my least obstructed view was out the left side of the canopy. While flying to the airport, you can see from the map that I was "hawking" the touchdown zone, wind sock, etc. while looking out the left side and figuring out how to land.

Second, Runway 21 is the preferred calm wind runway at Kingman. The last thing I wanted to do was to go beak-to-beak with a Pietenpol with no radio. Just because you're an emergency aircraft and you "can" do something doesn't mean that you "should". If my engine had already quit, then of course I would have landed on any piece of concrete, but I was still alright.

Third, from a previous life, I flew a couple thousand hours in the F-16 where we practiced simulated flameout (SFO) patterns regularly. There are "high key", "low key" and "base key" positions relative to the intended point of touchdown. I occasionally practice SFOs in my RV-8 too, and am comfortable pulling the power to idle at pattern altitude and bringing it in for a landing without ever touching the throttle. I just think it's a useful skill to keep in my bag of tricks. Anyway, on this day I saw that I could easily be above a low key position, which in my RV-8 is approximately abeam the touchdown point at 500' AGL. Knowing this gave me more time to look out the left side of the airplane to clear the runway and judge distances. It also gave me few more seconds to wiggle my fingers and toes and breathe through my nose to relax.

map_zpsae3ac31c.jpg

Nice save!

Another positive result made easier by a modern glass cockpit and a pilot who knew how to use it. Congrats on your skills and a nice save. Nice to have a Dynon SkyView in the panel!

I had a good conversation with Allan at Anti Splat Aero today. I explained the incident and described the coking inside the valve fitting. I also pointed out that I have had the valve installed for two years and had never inspected or cleaned it. Allan explained that he actually did previously send out a bulletin to all of his customers who bought the oil separator and vacuum valve. In fact, he spent considerable effort and expense on the mailings, so it was a serious undertaking on his part. I?m confident that he did his due diligence in getting the word out about this potential failure mode that requires regular inspection and maintenance to avoid.

Allan also explained how to install a relief valve, which is basically the same as what Dan Horton wrote in post #36 in this thread. All I need to do is simply cut the hose going to the exhaust, install a tee fitting, and then attach another vacuum valve (same one that?s attached to my exhaust pipe). If there is ever a restriction at the exhaust fitting again due to carbon buildup, then the relief valve at the tee fitting will save the day.

Now here are a couple of important take-aways from all of this. First, I accept full responsibility for this incident. I?m sure that Allan?s letter warning owners to perform periodic inspections arrived at my home back when he sent it out. I don?t remember reading it, so maybe it got lost or accidentally thrown out with the giant stack of coupons that fill my mailbox every day. Regardless, machines don?t care about owner ignorance. There is no slack for the pilot who ?should have? but didn?t. The system broke because it was supposed to be inspected and cleaned and I did not do it. It?s my fault, plain and simple. Will I ever have carbon buildup in my valve fitting again? Never. Lesson learned.

Second, I hope that nobody here blames the equipment or its source. That would be as unreasonable as failing to do oil changes and then blaming Lycoming when your engine quits. As I explained before, I will continue to use this oil separator because of the benefits it allows. I will just do a better job of maintaining my equipment from now on.

I quoted this because this is one of the most professional, emotionless comments I've seen on this site and feel it needs to be re-read. Wether you're a fan of the device or not, the root cause was not inspecting the item due to a lack of awareness. Not negligence, not stupidity, not "I don't care" or "it won't happen to me" but a simple lack of awareness.

Gash did a great job flying the aircraft, remaining calm, and handling the emergency situation. Most importantly for us, he was able to objectively analyze the issue and help make others aware without blasting anyone or anything.

Flying is dangerous. It is up to each individual to determine how much mitigation is enough to make the activity safe for them and their passengers.

Thank you for the write up, the information, and the lesson learned! I am glad you're here to talk about it!

Hi Gash---glad to see you made it OK---two possible solutions---terminate your breather hose 1/2 " above an exhaust pipe---works well--no maintenance--OR you might consider painting a lovely lady on the belly of your airplane---It "motivates" one to keep it clean---John Fleurent RV-8 (first flight 1998)

Back