What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mistake top wing skins nutplates holes 16-2

I managed to drill #19 the wrong hole (center one) for the only special nutplate at the wing root just behind the stiffener... What could be the best fix ? I thought of using a standard nutplate but the rivet holes do not match exactly up...

Thanks in advance !

IMG-9965.jpg

On my wing kit (circa 2007) the #8 holes are countersunk not dimpled. Unless that has changed you have the wrong nutplate in hand. There is probably enough room to drill the correct hole to #19 and rivet the nutplate on with only one rivet. After drilling and countersinking the correct hole I think the holes will be close but you will be fine. The single rivet only has to hold it in place long enough to start tightening the countersunk screw for the wing root fairing. The wing root fairing is pre punched so you need the #19 hole to line up correctly. In the picture below I'm holding a #19 bit next to the hole you accidentally drilled.

img_6789.jpg

If you are really paranoid back all the holes with a doubler strip and match drill all holes accept the #19. You should be able to rivet that inner nutplate rivet hole to the doubler then rivet the doubler and nutplate through the other holes.

Common error. I would go with a backup strip. Make sure it goes under the entire nutplate and maybe to the next rivet hole (I seem to recall you can only do that in one direction because ot the spar). Drill the rivet locations and the correct screw locations. Then clamp it in place and fill the incorrectly drilled hole with structural epoxy. Smooth the epoxy and re-drill the rivet hole when it is cured. The epoxy will be more than strong enough, with the backup strip and a rivet, to hold the nutplate in place (the main job of that rivet) and the repair will be invisible once painted (or when the wing root fairing is in place).

Thanks a lot Ben and Patrick for the solution, I drilled the correct hole to #19, countersunk and tried with the correct nutplate this time ! It works fine as per your picture. I will think about the doubler now...

IMG-9972.jpg

Back