What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil priming engine for first start

219PB

Well Known Member
I have a Lycoming 360 that was set up for long term storage and been sitting in a controlled climate for 7 years. My plan is drain the oil, change the oil filter, and pressure refill through the oil pressure port. This will lubricate the cam shaft.

My concern is that the oil filter, oil cooler, and all of the lines will be dry. My oil filter is on a 45 degree upslope angle so I cannot fill the filter prior to installation.

The plan is to remove the top spark plugs, disable the electronic ignition and electric fuel pumps. My engine has the EFII system so there is not a mechanical fuel pump. Then I will crank the engine with the starter to develop oil pressure before I perform the actual engine start.

Is it common practice to try to pre-prime the system by other means? I figure it might take 30 seconds for the oil pump to fill and develop pressure.

Also, would there be any issue with performing this pre-priming procedure while the propeller is not installed? I know that the engine cannot be started without a propeller, but there would be less stress on the bearings if the prop was not there. I ask because the prop is not on the aircraft now and it is a simple matter of scheduling which comes first.

I have a Lycoming 360 that was set up for long term storage and been sitting in a controlled climate for 7 years. My plan is drain the oil, change the oil filter, and pressure refill through the oil pressure port. This will lubricate the cam shaft.

My concern is that the oil filter, oil cooler, and all of the lines will be dry. My oil filter is on a 45 degree upslope angle so I cannot fill the filter prior to installation.

The plan is to remove the top spark plugs, disable the electronic ignition and electric fuel pumps. My engine has the EFII system so there is not a mechanical fuel pump. Then I will crank the engine with the starter to develop oil pressure before I perform the actual engine start.

Is it common practice to try to pre-prime the system by other means? I figure it might take 30 seconds for the oil pump to fill and develop pressure.

Also, would there be any issue with performing this pre-priming procedure while the propeller is not installed? I know that the engine cannot be started without a propeller, but there would be less stress on the bearings if the prop was not there. I ask because the prop is not on the aircraft now and it is a simple matter of scheduling which comes first.

Just an opinion unless some knows of an issue, but pre-oiling with a pressure source, even 15 psi, will reduce the time to pressure drastically. The top of my list for oil would be the barrels, and pre-fogging each one with some oil splatter from the lower side and hand rotate to expel the excess.

Yes, oil pressure from an empty system may be 30 seconds. Just attended one for a dry prime and it was about 25 sec. Starter was not even hot.

If spinning W/O a prop AND spark plugs all removed, no issues, spin away.

The prop will add no significant load to the bearings. So don't leave it off just for that reason.

Just stop spinning when oil pressure is attained.

I prelubed mine

It was easy. I pulled a plug out of the top front of the engine, and fabricated a prelube system consisting of 3? pvc with a screw cap on the back. The bottom was plumbed to the engine, hung the pvc vertical, poured about 1 1/2 quarts in, screwed the cap on which I had drilled and tapped for a air quick connect, and simply plugged my air compressor into it at about 45 psi. It pushed around a quart into the engine. Oil pressure was instant on startup.

Randy
0-380 8A Catto
Dual P Mags 9.5-1?s

It was easy. I pulled a plug out of the top front of the engine, and fabricated a prelube system consisting of 3? pvc with a screw cap on the back. The bottom was plumbed to the engine, hung the pvc vertical, poured about 1 1/2 quarts in, screwed the cap on which I had drilled and tapped for a air quick connect, and simply plugged my air compressor into it at about 45 psi. It pushed around a quart into the engine. Oil pressure was instant on startup.

Randy
0-380 8A Catto
Dual P Mags 9.5-1?s

Randy,

This sounds good. This prefilled the oil filter and cooler? Can you be specific on location of the plug on the front of the engine? Picture?

Thanks,

Paul

as Bill said, just pull a plug off each cylinder and spin with the starter until you get oil flowing out of the pressure sender hose. (fuel off and mags grounded please!) That prop spins fast with no compression, so be prepared for that.
You already did this to purge air out of the oil sender line, right?

as Bill said, just pull a plug off each cylinder and spin with the starter until you get oil flowing out of the pressure sender hose. (fuel off and mags grounded please!) That prop spins fast with no compression, so be prepared for that.
You already did this to purge air out of the oil sender line, right?

I planned to disconnect the oil sensor line at the pressure sender and fill the crankcase through the sender line. It would be mostly full when I reconnected it back to the oil pressure line. Might have a small bubble at the top.

If I fill through the front as was stated earlier, I will definitely crack the line at the sender to bleed.

Back