What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IFR Legalities

Jasonm

Well Known Member
I need some input on the placement of my future GTN 625. In the picture I have it placed in the far right panel as it will really only be feeding the G3X panel for coupled approaches. I don't plan on installing it right away but have provisioned for it behind the panel. Rumor has it that it must be located a certain distance from the pilot to be considered IFR legal. Has anyone heard of this?

hufzis.jpg

Thanks

I need some input on the placement of my future GTN 625. In the picture I have it placed in the far right panel as it will really only be feeding the G3X panel for coupled approaches. I don't plan on installing it right away but have provisioned for it behind the panel. Rumor has it that it must be located a certain distance from the pilot to be considered IFR legal. Has anyone heard of this?

hufzis.jpg

Thanks

Yes, I'm almost certain it does. I'm looking through my documentation. My 430 was originally installed as VFR only. I got a field approval for approach certified and there is definitely wording in there about the location being accessible. That's for a standalone unit. Not sure if having the G3X affects that or not.

If I can dig it up, I'll post it here.

It's not a rumor. It's in the installation manual, which is part of the TSO approval. Specifically, certain annunciations must be within a certain viewing area. It may be that the G3X will display all of them, in which case you're okay. Ask Garmin.
Regardless, using the GTN requires a certain amount of button pushing, and that looks like a long reach, legal or not.

Last edited:
Why not put it in the center panel, along with the backup attitude indicator, so that the approaches can be flown from either seat?

Thanks all for the help. I've decided to go with a slightly different panel that eliminates the gap between the two panels and allows for the 625 to be located closer to the left seat. I thought about the 7" panel but really like the 10".

I would not want to reach that far to manage my GPS navigator. It's useful for SO much more than just coupled approaches.

Saying you just want to use it for coupled approaches leads one to believe you are not currently instrument rated. If this is true, then before you cut your panel I think it would be a good idea to go fly a real IFR flight (VMC or IMC, doesn't matter, just fly full procedures with an IFR pilot familiar with the plane and panel) in a plane that has a GNS or GTN box. You'll quickly realize why you want your navigator to be closer to you.

Jason,

Read the following AC, starting with page 28 using the page number on the bottom. Starting with paragraph 18. INSTALLATION ISSUES – STAND-ALONE NAVIGATION EQUIPMENT

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC20-138A.pdf

It simple states that the panel has to be within 15 degrees of you normal line of vision, which is about 12" from your center of vision. This is not only for navigation, but also for any fault or intergry errors that might come up while on an approach. You also have to be able to reach it and manipulate it with one hand.

Where your panel looks great, if you had to do some serious IFR, it would be impractical to use.

Good luck on your new panel.

Brian

Jason,

Read the following AC, starting with page 28 using the page number on the bottom. Starting with paragraph 18. INSTALLATION ISSUES – STAND-ALONE NAVIGATION EQUIPMENT

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC20-138A.pdf

It simple states that the panel has to be within 15 degrees of you normal line of vision, which is about 12" from your center of vision. This is not only for navigation, but also for any fault or intergry errors that might come up while on an approach. You also have to be able to reach it and manipulate it with one hand.

Where your panel looks great, if you had to do some serious IFR, it would be impractical to use.

Good luck on your new panel.

Brian

That's not applicable. All required annunciations are displayed on the G3X, so it isn't a "standalone installation".

That being said, you do need to enter information "on the fly" into the GTN on IFR flight plans. You may be cleared direct to a waypoint. Well, you need to enter that into the IFR navigator. You'll need to choose an approach, define your IAF, activate the approach, which also all has to be done thru the navigator.

The Aerosport 10" panel may be a better fit, vs the G900 panel you're showing. The same equipment list lays out nicely on it, with everything in easy reach:

blogger-image-1314367906.jpg

blogger-image--599267631.jpg

Last edited:
The Aerosport 10" panel may be a better fit, vs the G900 panel you're showing. The same equipment list lays out nicely on it, with everything in easy reach:

That's the one I decided on last night. I like how there is only a small gap between the two panels.

synzgp.jpg

Yeah, you couldn't more wrong on that comment.

Not sure how. It led ME to believe it. Anyway, it's just an opinion on the location that was also shared by another poster. All done in a good faith attempt to help avoid cutting a panel that might be difficult to use. Take it or leave it as you see fit.

Last edited:
That being said, you do need to enter information "on the fly" into the GTN on IFR flight plans. You may be cleared direct to a waypoint. Well, you need to enter that into the IFR navigator. You'll need to choose an approach, define your IAF, activate the approach, which also all has to be done thru the navigator.

Having flown, and still flying, a lot of IFR I have to completely agree with this. Place your IFR navigation box somewhere you can easily get to while in the clouds and ATC is giving you multiple changes to your flight plan. Making changes to your navigation box as easy as possible really helps reduce single pilot IFR workload. This will happen a lot more often most people think.

YSV15DME_zpsb39639b4.jpg

Just my 2 cents.

:cool:

Last edited:
Back