What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Side pocket

A bad loop or some turbulence could cause things to fly around a little.
Mabel some kind of latching cover or at least a keeper to keep the IPad in its place. :)

I (and many others) have metal bins very similar to that. They quickly collect so much stuff that they are jammed full, and nothign will come flying out..... :)

Very useful, and a good use of the space.

I am in the middle of cockpit construction.

Does this mean that the arm rest is not very useful? I have seen bins below the armrest, but not above.

Looks like a good spot to me. I don't see anything wrong with location. The best part is you can always change it if you don't like it.

Arm rests

Seems like a good idea. I wonder if you could install arm rests inside of your vertical? I have noticed that the arm rests in the -8 are too far apart to be very useful for me.

Armrest work perfect

Does this mean that the arm rest is not very useful? I have seen bins below the armrest, but not above.

If you have arms like an orangutan..

Paul is absolutely correct on stuffing so full you can't get stuff out..

They are handy.

Keep in mind some long legged rear seat passengers may need some of this space for their knee.

Sit in the back before final decision.

Carl

Keep in mind some long legged rear seat passengers may need some of this space for their knee.

Sit in the back before final decision.

Carl

I think that would be the same orangutan using the arm rests. If the backseater were so tall their knees hit, their head wouldn't fit under the canopy. I could be wrong....

I think that would be the same orangutan using the arm rests. If the backseater were so tall their knees hit, their head wouldn't fit under the canopy. I could be wrong....

I'm 6'0" and have perhaps 10 hours in the back of the RV8A with my son Steve in the front. While you may assume the rear seat person will always have their legs extended into the rear seat foot wells, I can report from experience that after a while you are shifting around in the back, moving your feet closer. This is when the knee room becomes evident.

Carl

Blain,
Nice mod, and very useful. Only a baboon could use the "armrests" as armrests, as others have said. It's really more of a stiffener for the side skin than a useful armrest. The post about rear seat knee room is a valid one, but I don't think your idea will impinge on the knee room. I made my side pockets like yours, except mine are straight across (I like yours better-more room), and I've added a useable arm rests on the inside at the bottom of the added aluminum piece. I had to shorten my added armrest initially, because of rear seat knee room for a tall rear passenger, but that is inboard of the created storage space, so it is a little more in the way than what you have. My left armrest is at the perfect spot for my throttle hand, and the right one is good for when I'm not hand flying. When I'm hand flying, my right leg is my armrest, as PD mentioned. You'll need a place to put stuff, and you have it with your mod.

I'm 6'0" and have perhaps 10 hours in the back of the RV8A with my son Steve in the front. While you may assume the rear seat person will always have their legs extended into the rear seat foot wells, I can report from experience that after a while you are shifting around in the back, moving your feet closer. This is when the knee room becomes evident.

Carl

I stand corrected. Since I'm vertically challenged it's hard to imagine a knee anywhere near it.

Blain,
Nice mod, and very useful. Only a baboon could use the "armrests" as armrests, as others have said. It's really more of a stiffener for the side skin than a useful armrest. The post about rear seat knee room is a valid one, but I don't think your idea will impinge on the knee room. I made my side pockets like yours, except mine are straight across (I like yours better-more room), and I've added a useable arm rests on the inside at the bottom of the added aluminum piece. I had to shorten my added armrest initially, because of rear seat knee room for a tall rear passenger, but that is inboard of the created storage space, so it is a little more in the way than what you have. My left armrest is at the perfect spot for my throttle hand, and the right one is good for when I'm not hand flying. When I'm hand flying, my right leg is my armrest, as PD mentioned. You'll need a place to put stuff, and you have it with your mod.

Scott,

Any chance of posting a pic? I'm kind of a visual learner and I've never been happy with the current armrests.

Mark

I have the side bins and love them! Mine are stuffed full of various useful items, and I can't see being without the extra storage. Also a data point on tall passengers: my son is 6' 6" and has no problem in the backseat with his knees. The only problem is his big feet. He wears size 15 shoes and with his feet in the wells, the tips of his sneakers are always getting in my way!

I have the side bins and I like them but I do not have them stuffed. Consequently anything I put in there slides backwards and is a little tricky to get out sometimes. Especially when I have my chute on and maybe a jacket.

Also be sure you smooth any edges - some of that metal can give you quite a gash.

(No pun intended on the poster above me ;) )

Last edited:
I had vinyl side panels made by Flight Line Interiors. The panels have pockets that have a stretchy elastic top. This works great for holding anything in place. They will make pockets as big as you wish I am sure...just a thought.

Zipper pocket picture

Bruce,
Would like to see a pic of the pocket without having to subscribe to Kitplanes.

I could e-mail anyone a PDF with more pictures and instructions, courtesy of Kitplanes.

I almost forgot, "As Seen First, Here On VAF!"
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=123214

op5rg5.jpg

9sb91y.jpg

Last edited:
I have a similar setup in my RV4. Maybe a little bit deeper. I have my iPod in a self made aluminium case, with a clip on the back similar to what a tape measure has. That keeps it in place. The case is just a sheet of alloy, with sides bent up to surround the iPod. A couple of heavy elastic bands prevent it falling out of the case.
Only problems I have had are touching the screen and activating something when I pull the iPod out of the pocket and the fact that the RV is so bright in our Qld weather that it is hard to read.

Too cool!

That's some creative stuff right there. I think I'll be puttering with the idea while on phase 1. Should be having builders withdrawals by then.

Thanks for sharing, Bruce.

Too cool!

That's some creative stuff right there. I think I'll be puttering with the idea while on phase 1. Should be having builders withdrawals by then.

Thanks for sharing, Bruce.

Back