What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What have I done wrong?

kdedmunds

I have made it the step 8-12 on the empanage and am starting to cleco the HS spar together. My experience has been if it doesnt go totgether i did something wrong. It has happened a couple of times. So right now I am battling with the HS Stringer Web Assembly aligning properly with the spar.

DSC_1111_zpsnkj5f5wd.jpg

These parts obviously don't line up the way they should.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember doing some head scratching on that part as well, but without pictures or a more detailed description it's hard to know what the problem is. There are several types of ribs in the HS and they all look fairly similar. Make sure you have the correct ribs oriented properly and also the spars and doublers correctly assembled and oriented.

I can't get the pictures to work

Thought I followed directions for the pics. Maybe that's the problem...

I have made it the step 8-12 on the empanage and am starting to cleco the HS spar together. My experience has been if it doesnt go totgether i did something wrong. It has happened a couple of times. So right now I am battling with the HS Stringer Web Assembly aligning properly with the spar.
DSC_1111_zpsnkj5f5wd.jpg

These parts obviously don't line up the way they should.

Look at the string - you pasted the link and doubled up on the http:// part.

This might be the problem >

Not sure that this may be part of your issue.

I posted in the Plan "Gotchas" on 1/20/2015, it's on Page 4, titled:
"Gotcha 08-02, Rear Spar
Attached is a better description of the Plan Gotcha; RV14, Empennage, pg 08-02, Rev 0, 4/15/13. . . . "

More description follows in the posting including a diagram; regarding attaching the HS-906 to the HS-00903-1. If your problem is with the alignment of the ribs where they attach to the rear spar at the doubler plate, this may be your problem.

It looks like you have the top flanges of the stringers going forward. They should go towards the trailing edge.

hstab%2Brib%2Brivets4.JPG

Ernie is correct.
Back up to page 08-09
Note that the flanges on the stringers go the opposite direction (aft) than the flanges on the web (fwd).

Back