What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTR 20 mounting location

Does anybody have pictures or info on where they decided to best mount the GTR 20 on an RV-14. I would also love any other pics of sub panel layout and wire routing behind the panel if you have them.

Billy

The great thing about the GTR 20 (or any remote LRU) is it can be installed anywhere in the airframe. I usually take into account where the antenna will be mounted and what kind of wire runs would be required based on distance. Sometimes it's better to run signal and power wires a long way to the LRU and then have a short run to the antenna, as opposed to putting everything up front and running a long run of coax with it's weight and signal attenuation. So sometimes my remote LRUs end up behind the panel, under the floor or aft of the baggage area based on the configuration and airframe.

Just make sure the LRU as a service loop and can be accessed easily for future maintenance.

Does anybody have pictures or info on where they decided to best mount the GTR 20 on an RV-14. I would also love any other pics of sub panel layout and wire routing behind the panel if you have them.

Billy

I mounted mine on the passenger side forward of the sub-panel (in the glovebox cutout) on a custom rack which I fabricated to fit.

The possibilities are endless, but it depends mostly on what else you are trying to cram into the plane. I have a pretty full panel. No pictures because the wiring is too messy to be proud of, but I hope my description is helpful.

I used some thicker aluminum sheet to make a simple, flat tray that bolts to the bottom flange of the instrument panel frame and sub panel on the pilot side. The GTR20 is mounted on top with the connectors facing inboard. The GMA245R is mounted on bottom with the connectors facing forward. That position gives me access to the USB jack in the cockpit.

I did something similar on the copilot side, mounting my CO detector on the bottom and GAD29 on the top. The top side of that one also has two risers that hold the GTX 45R tray high enough that the unit can slide out over the canopy rail.

Back