What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Improved Work Table...

RudiGreyling

Well Known Member
Hi Guys,

While waiting for my kit to arrive, I had to build a work table or 2.
I used the standard EAA Chapter 1000 Work Table (www Link) as a guideline, and improved on it for my use.

I required 2 storage surfaces and it had to be lighter, bigger and simpler to constuct than the standard EAA table.

In addition my table needs to be 'mobile', since I need to roll it away at night, next to the wall. This way when I need it I can roll it into the center of the garage have access to all 4 sides, and at night just roll it out of the way again.

Lastly the table top had to have a +/-2" overhang on the side all the way around, in order to be able to clamp things down to the table using ordinary G-clamps.

I also had to draw and plan it, since we use metric dimensions on this side of the world, and the standard wood sizes here is not the same as in the USA.

Anycase, since I had to do all that planning and drawing, I thought it good to post for you guys.

I made 2, one for a nice flat surface and another for drilling into.
table_01.jpg

table_02.jpg

table_03.jpg

work_bench_small.gif

Here is the bigger Plan and dimensions

Most of the beams are (77x44mm or 3" x 1 3/4")
Just be sure to use woodglue in addition to 2 screws at each wood joint, since the glue gives it most of the strength, and the screws ensure it does not start tearing appart.

Use it..abuse it..and improve on my ideas! Enjoy!!!

Kind Regards
Rudi

Last edited:
Hoegaan dit Boetie? Those tables look great!!!You could eat off of them.Seeeet... Have you received your kit? Your shop looks great too!!
Take care my friend.
Come see us.
Tw

Hoe is dit my broer!

:D

Those shiny table tops are going to look great with primer on them! I bet you can't wait to mess them up!!!

Nice work! I like the castering wheels!

Keep us posted, Rudi!

;) CJ

TerryPancake & Captain_John, thanx guys...

The shiny one is not going to see any primer :p it's my 'finishing' table.
But the other one, the standard uncoated one is going to see a lot abuse...drilling, painting, deburing etc...:rolleyes:

All the Kits arrived this weekend :D, I will post in another forum when I have organised my thoughts and photos.

Rudi,

Nice table!

I just finished my table(s), and it sounds like you and I were thinking along the same lines... larger than the EAA1000 tables (mine is 8'x3'), with 2" overhang, and moveable.

Here is a shot of mine. The main differences being that I chose to have the legs further towards the ends to maximize storage space underneath, and I included a middle leg because of the span. I think I am going to add a second shelf on half of my table this weekend.

050519_001.JPG

Cheers,
Brad
RV-7 - N609BC
Tail Kit Arrived Last Week

RV7Factory: Rudi, Nice table!
I just finished my table(s), and it sounds like you and I were thinking along the same lines... larger than the EAA1000 tables (mine is 8'x3'), with 2" overhang, and moveable.
Brad, I like your ideas as well, great minds think alike!;)

I limited my width of the table to match my existing build-in cupboards/top and to match easily available width of the shiny wooden tops.

I also limited my bottom storage space to match wood sheet sizes, and to get maximum width without adding a centre pillar, because I wanted to keep the weight down and be able to store long things on the bottom shelves without an obstructing centre pillar.

I think this thread is a great start for guys thinking of build their own table to use the EAA1000, your and my ideas and come up with something that suit their needs to a T.:D

I had 2 solid core 3-0 (36") doors that made excellent tops. One thing I did was to use 2 locking castors to keep the table stationary.

Derrell

Derrell: I had 2 solid core 3-0 (36") doors that made excellent tops. One thing I did was to use 2 locking castors to keep the table stationary.
Ditto...Derrell, I forgot to mention it, I also used castors wheels with a break/lock on them, this ensures the table does not run-away...:p

Nice work

Now to give your plane that attention to detail!

I made mine with a particle board top because that stuff holds cleco?s better, IMHO.

I also rabbited the 2x4 edge rails so I can just lay the 4x8 sheet in there w/o attaching it. That was done to make the replacement easier, which I now need to do since there are holes all over my table.

In addition, I added 2x4 corner braces for stability. I now have a really nice 4x8 raised dance floor when I finish the -9. You can see the bracing in this picture.

N941WR:.... I also rabbited the 2x4 edge rails so I can just lay the 4x8 sheet in there w/o attaching it. That was done to make the replacement easier, which I now need to do since there are holes all over my table.
Ditto...I also planned to replace the tops. The standard top that I'm going to use for drilling into, I did not use any glue on it. I Simply screwed the top to the frame, that way I can also replace it when I need to!

More improvements...

I had to build a bending break, and decided to use my thick straight table top as the bottom surface, and hinged a very stiff top section to it.
table_bending_break_01.jpg

table_bending_break_02.jpg

table_bending_break_03.jpg

Enjoy,
Kind Regards
Rudi

Last edited:
3X8, 2'2"X8 Work Benches

One thing for sure these babies are heavy! I had to move, and have no dought that if a Hurricane comes through the house may not hold up, but these sure will... :)

RV-7 2004 said:
One thing for sure these babies are heavy! I had to move, and have no dought that if a Hurricane comes through the house may not hold up, but these sure will... :)
They sure are. I was dragging one in the shop last year. I let one of the table's feets "rest" on my big toe. A few days later I noticed that my nail had a bump in that area, I was only able to cut it off this week. Be careful moving those tables or you might "cry about a 'broken nail'" :D

If I were to do it again, I'd give wheel to half of the table legs.

Back