View Single Post
Old 05-13-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schristo@mac.com View Post
CS 1900 can be purchased as a two part mix in a can... easy to make a small batch as needed and pretty economical.

can be hard to find a source so here is a link http://www.sealpakcoinc.com/
More good info. When I got mine, the only way I could find it was in SEM tubes. In fact I got it from Van's. They had it in stock but would not ship. I had business in Portland, so I stopped by & bought two tubes. Then brought it home by (ahem...) other means. It does stink to high heaven. It's been some time since I looked at the MSDS, but I remember that the contents made it obvious why it had become a hazmat substance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay.pearlman View Post
I talked to 3M about their products. The 2000+ is good to 300F. It is meant for fireplaces and not for commercial construction. Under heat, it turns black. It can be replaced by scraping it off and adding more. May or may not be appropriate - 3M support was not comfortable with its use in our environment.
Maybe it's my cynical side, but I'm not surprised that 3M would be uncomfortable, though maybe I'm reading their response wrong. Interesting that's it's only good to 300?F. My recollection was that it was dependent on whether or not it was exposed to direct flame. Thanks for calling 3M. I'm as guilty as anyone of discussing technical data with everyone except those who are likely best-qualified to have the answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Lars, I earlier assumed Fire Barrier 2000+ to be intumescent but after studying the MSDS sheet I'm not so sure. Didn't think about it at the time, but my photo record of burn sessions doesn't show much (if any) swelling typical of intumescent products. And, the MSDS doesn't list vermiculite, just calcium carbonate. There are ways to make calcium carbonate products intumescent, so I dunno. I'll look more closely at that particular aspect when I heat some along with the CS1900.

FWIW the 3M latex fire caulks do list vermiculite.

The primary advantage of an intumescent product is the ability to swell and seal a hole left behind when something else burns away or melts. A good example would be a plastic pipe passing through a concrete wall in a building. The fire melts the pipe but the hole is immediately sealed. In the airplane app we have push-pull cables and wires passing through the firewall, but they are mostly steel or copper and won't entirely burn away in any case. So do we really need an intumescent?
Thanks, Dan. So far I've used the 2000+ on small stuff. I still have an unused tube of CS-1900 in the freezer at my hangar (you do have a mini fridge in your hangar, don't you?) awaiting installation of the top forward skin. The SEM cartridge contains lots more than I'll need, so I have the option of using the excess to seal the metal penetrations I have for electrical conductors (took the easy way out and used Safeair1 kits).
960+ hours as of June 30, 2020. Where did the time go?