What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prepping to Start

BOHICA

Well Known Member
Hello to all.

Working to take the leap. Currently I am working on prepping my shop, getting it all organized. I have ordered tools for an RV-14a. I have ordered and already received the Vans LightBox kit so I can get some practice in before I get started.

Plan to order empennage kit in December 'ish time frame so I can start my build in January.

Only Question I have so far is if folks are going with the AeroLED strobe/position sold by Van's or if there is a better option out there that is being used?

Plan is to finish in 3yrs so that I can pay as I go. If I can finish empennage by March or April I should have funds to order QB wings/fuselage.

Chose the RV-14a based on speed and cockpit size and should have the range I need for my primary mission. I will be flying it routinely between Austin TX and Livingston MT (KLVM).

Congrats

Welcome!

I received the empennage kit last night. That's after prepping the garage for months and ordering and arranging tools.

Don't forget all the hours spent reading this forum.

Opening everything last night with the local EAA chapter dude was the best Christmas in a while!

Very fun times, indeed.

Andy

Regarding your AeroLED question, they are a quality light, and more importantly, the kit is designed to easily accept them. I've been working on my slow-build kit for 4 years now (emp and wings complete, and I'm about halfway done on the forward fuselage) with about 1400 hours invested so far. The one thing that has been driven home is that if you go off-plans on ANYTHING, it will cost you in terms of difficulty and time. I can't emphasize enough how much extra time you face. And it doesn't matter how convincing my words are, you really won't gain an appreciation for what I'm talking about until you are up to your ears in the project and try doing something off-plans (like a heated, AOA pitot). The cool thing about experimentals is that you can experiment. But Van's has already thought through much to make this a great plane and a great kit. My opinion; go with the Vans supplied AeroLEDs.
Oh, and when I started I thought I could finish in 2 years. That was 2 years ago and I figure I have another 2 to go.

Regarding your AeroLED question, they are a quality light, and more importantly, the kit is designed to easily accept them. I've been working on my slow-build kit for 4 years now (emp and wings complete, and I'm about halfway done on the forward fuselage) with about 1400 hours invested so far. The one thing that has been driven home is that if you go off-plans on ANYTHING, it will cost you in terms of difficulty and time. I can't emphasize enough how much extra time you face. And it doesn't matter how convincing my words are, you really won't gain an appreciation for what I'm talking about until you are up to your ears in the project and try doing something off-plans (like a heated, AOA pitot). The cool thing about experimentals is that you can experiment. But Van's has already thought through much to make this a great plane and a great kit. My opinion; go with the Vans supplied AeroLEDs.
Oh, and when I started I thought I could finish in 2 years. That was 2 years ago and I figure I have another 2 to go.

That is a very good point... that being said I'm not flying until I install my homemade cupholder. :D

+1 for "off plans costs time"

I am coming up on 3 years and also coming up on first flight. So it can be done. But I did not spread the cost out much. I ordered the empennage kit in January 2018, the fuselage kit by April, the finish kit that December, the firewall forward kit in April 2019, and the wing kit in July 2019. The engine and propeller came sometime in early 2019.

I could have delayed the wing kit order without delaying my build. I didn't really start on it until at least January 2020. It went together quickly, just as the empennage and fuselage had done, I just had too much left on the canopy and finishing kit to start in on it.

Don't set a deadline. Set goals, be prepared to adjust them, and enjoy the journey. One day, you're going to open your garage door, pull your car in, and realize that you miss seeing the half-finished airplane kit that you liked to spend your evenings with.

I agree with others' comments on AeroLEDS and build time - I'm very impressed with quality of the AeroLEDS product, functionally they're very good as well. They work with the standard wiring harnesses and cutouts in the wings, and fit the wing tips well. I know that other options out there are good but some are much more work to fit. Ziptips are expensive and require some modification of wiring.

If you're doing QB wings and fuse 2-3 years is reasonable. I did QB wings, SB fuse, and finished in 31 months. But I probably averaged 20-25 hrs a week on the build. Deviations from Van's plans do add time, but some of that depends on the deviation. For example, I did Beringer wheels/brakes which I don't think added much time EXCEPT getting the gear brake lines nailed down - I worked with Tom at TS Flightlines on those and I think they've got their setup nailed down now. Using TS/AS hoses and lines saved me time and I think the quality is far better than I could have done.

RV-14 aftermarket is getting better all the time in terms of "off the shelf" additions/mods. All it takes is $.

Another time saver is having panel done by companies like SteinAir or the quick panel from Dynon/Advanced Flight Systems. Adds cost but reduces work AND probably results in a more reliable and serviceable panel. Biggest caveat with SteinAir in particular is to order well in advance.

I'd recommend getting familiar with current delays on all major components of your build - kits, engine, prop, and avionics if you're using outside services to bulid panel or custom harnesses, etc - and plan accordingly.

Last edited:
Noted on the AeroLED's. I sort of suspected they were good. Just wanted input from others.

I am planning to go with a quick panel. Might go with Aerotronics in Billings Montana as I can drive over and get the panel.

Noted on the AeroLED's. I sort of suspected they were good. Just wanted input from others.

I am planning to go with a quick panel. Might go with Aerotronics in Billings Montana as I can drive over and get the panel.

Good option as well. One thing I would do differently would be to wait and rivet the forward skin (in front of canopy) after panel is mostly installed. Access panel option also available now for that area.

Last edited:
Back