What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finishing kit question

lmerrill

I’m in the process of ordering my finishing kit and am looking at what I plan to delete. I think I have it figured out besides one thing. So my question is if I currently have the plane around new door 180 kit do I still need the 10 SAFETY LATCH KIT or am I able to delete it? I am unsure if it happens to use some parts from that kit in the install.
Thanks
Lester

Van's won't let you delete the Safety latch kit as it is a safety item.
So you're getting it either way.. I don't recall using anything from it.

I think I repurposed some of the pieces for spacers because of their thickness. I always love extra hardware (bolts/rivets) too.

Vans let me delete it, I had to provide them a copy of my invoice from Plane Around

Maybe they've changed their stance over the years??

When I asked to delete it from my kit in 2017, this is the response I got:
NO—We do not allow this item to be deleted from your kit shipment as it is a safety feature.

HA, I didn't even ask, and just assumed based on this being brought up here multiple times that Vans wouldn't remove it. Hence I have it sitting on my shelf.

Good for Vans if they will remove if a receipt for the Plane Around 3rd latch is provided (or some other acceptable substitute).

Notice that you wouldn't save much by deleting it, those are cheap parts. The expensive stuff like wheels, cowling and windshield are what really count here (I deleted all of those in favor of alternates).

I got confirmation that my finish kit order had been placed and was told that they are not authorized to remove the safety latch kit from the order. I think I checked the price and it would have saved me about $60. I did have several other deletions that they had no problem removing for me.

Would you mind sharing what is your ETA for crate date ?
I am planning to order my finishing kit with in next 1-2 weeks.
;)

So far I just have a confirmation of my order with deletions. I’ll let you know when they give me a crating date. I know that just a couple weeks ago I looked and it was showing that the finish kit was 8 months out and I decided to order and it jumped to 10 months out. Hopefully it will be shipped before then but I don’t guess I should count on it. If you’re planning on ordering in 2 weeks I would go ahead and do it now.

So far I just have a confirmation of my order with deletions. I’ll let you know when they give me a crating date. I know that just a couple weeks ago I looked and it was showing that the finish kit was 8 months out and I decided to order and it jumped to 10 months out. Hopefully it will be shipped before then but I don’t guess I should count on it. If you’re planning on ordering in 2 weeks I would go ahead and do it now.

Thank you Lester.
I think I will place my deposit on Tuesday. 8 to 10 month in couple of weeks :confused: means 2021 which is looong wait.

Would you mind sharing what is your ETA for crate date ?
I am planning to order my finishing kit with in next 1-2 weeks.
;)
I ordered the Finishing and Firewall Forward kits October 30, 2020. The initial Shipping Date was February 1, 2021, but shortly afterwards that was changed to a Crating Date. About the third week in January the Crating Date was delayed due to workers testing positive for COVID-19. In mid-February I was told I had a crating date (but I was not told what it was) and that “crating takes 4-6 weeks before shipping”. I received a shipping Bill of Lading on March 4, 2021 and finally received the crate on April 1, 2021.

Five months from ordering to receiving my crate. Oh, and about a week after the crate shipped, I received a packing list in the mail. It listed the items which were back-ordered, including the engine mount and the landing gear. When I called to lodge my complaint about the lack of communication the reply was, “the vendors are wielding as fast as they can” and their next scheduled shipment should arrive April 28, 2021. So, maybe I’ll get those parts sometime in May.

The Vans FWF hoses now come from TS for the RV-10. No need to delete these. I received my FWF kit a few months ago.

Back