What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Floor under the rudder pedals

What have other builders done for additional flooring, other than the outer skin and stiffeners, under the rudder pedals? Looks like it could use something to avoid outer skin dents and possibly add insulation.

I'll add another "yep" for Classic Aero. Looks great and easy to install. Some will say the downside is that the padding between the floor stiffeners is a little heavy, but I think it's worth it for the dampening qualities.

Their seats and glare shield trim are also in my plane. All of their products are top notch and easy to install.

Classic Aero makes a carpet set that fits beautifully. They also provide a closed cell foam that fits in between the floor stiffeners. The carpet and foam reduced the noise and vibration level by a significant amount on our RV-7A.

https://www.classicaero.com/web/pub...97&ProductCategory=RV-7A&ProductCategoryID=13

Their entire interior package is amazing and still looks like new almost 5 years later.

+1 for Classic Aero's products. I've used them in all of my builds.

A great deal of the "noise" in the RV cabin comes from the exhaust, which thrums the floor skins like a drum. Putting any material between the floor stiffeners and in contact with the skin damps the resonant response of the skin.

Classic Aero uses a type of closed cell, rubber foam, about 3/4" thick, and then has automotive cut pile carpet on top of that.

see https://www.classicaero.com/web/pub...=99&ProductCategory=RV-7&ProductCategoryID=12

I plan to run wiring and static/pitot/AOA lines along the left side from the spar forward to a convenient place and then up into the instrument panel. Do any carpet systems allow for a channel in the foam to act as a sort-of conduit?

What have other builders done for additional flooring, other than the outer skin and stiffeners, under the rudder pedals? Looks like it could use something to avoid outer skin dents and possibly add insulation.

I used 1/8” Baltic Plywood with a few 3/4” square Balsa blocks spaced under the foot stress areas. The Plywood was cut to shape and fit tightly, a small cord on the rear end allows the boards to be lifted out.

Aluminumized fiberglass

I use thermal heat barrier. Thin fiberglass with aluminum sheeting. It is peel and stick, cuts with scissors and easy to keep clean. 40$ on Amazon.comes in various sizes.

Attachments

• DE1A222E-3C6F-41C5-B44A-B0A9F6CF822D.jpeg
    DE1A222E-3C6F-41C5-B44A-B0A9F6CF822D.jpeg
    763.5 KB · Views: 43
honeycomb

I would think a composite or paper honeycomb material would be better at attenuating noise. The old school B-727s used it but it was a disaster in the galleys...

floor carpet and leaks

Bought an RV-6a a few years back.
It had some 1/2" black foam with commercial padded carpet on top of that.
I 've been blown up twice in my life, with lots of fire, So, do not care to have any fire or smoke in my ride.
Took it all out and feet are riding on the skins for now, But, I plan on something later so I don't wear through.
What I did notice when removing the foam from floor, firewall and else where was the brake master cylinder fitting was LEAKING behind the foam on the firewall and UNDER the floor carpet. Not good in my opinion. Ate the pain off the floor.
Yes, I had to add fluid to the reservoir just after I bought the plane. But, thought it was due to lack of maintenance on sellers part.
But, that carpet and firewall covering was covering up the leak.
Not like the leaking caliper I found out yesterday. Those are easy to see.
My luck varies from day to day, Art

Plascore

I just bought some Plascore, it's the honeycomb core for boats. $45 for a 2 x 4 sheet, 3/4 inch thick. I'll bond either a thin sheet of aluminum to it or a layer of glass. A lot cheaper than aluminum honeycomb.

I cut a scrap piece of 0.16 aluminum in the same dimensions as the floor area between the sides and center tunnel for each side and glued a piece of closed cell foam purchased at harbor freight used for shop padding (squares of padding used in the shop to stand on while at a bench). It is 3/4” thick and if fitted to either side of floor angle it is just the right thickness to support the thin cover aluminum. It allows your heels to slide on the aluminum sheet when using the rudder pedals (no friction as with carpet) Provides some sound insulation. Easy to build and has been very durable.

Back