What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

To filter or not to fuel filter?

daddyman

Well Known Member
That is the question.

I do not see an inline fuel filter from the fuel selector to the fuel boots pump in my plans. There is enough room to plumb it in on the floor under the -7 modification cover.

Thoughts?

Daddyman

Every engine, even lawnmowers, should have a fuel filter. Many don't realize it, but a gascolator is also a fuel filter (that needs periodic cleaning). Carbs and servos have filters, but often are very small and only designed as a last resort filter.

I can't even imagine the thought of skipping a fuel filter on an engine that is there to keep you from falling out of the sky. I have now serviced two planes that stopped running due to fuel contamination and that is with filters. Without the filters, it would have happened MUCH sooner and with a lighter contamination load, probably not happened at all.

Last edited:
I'm assuming you're referring to a fuel injected engine and the little "hump" near the fuel selector where the boost pump is. I concur with the other post that you absolutely want a filter. Van's sells a kit with an electric boost pump, filter, mounting plate and cover that's made to fit there. Don't spend a lot of time trying to reinvent the wheel or over-think it...Van's has gotten this stuff down after a few thousand planes.

thanks to all

I'm assuming you're referring to a fuel injected engine and the little "hump" near the fuel selector where the boost pump is. I concur with the other post that you absolutely want a filter. Van's sells a kit with an electric boost pump, filter, mounting plate and cover that's made to fit there. Don't spend a lot of time trying to reinvent the wheel or over-think it...Van's has gotten this stuff down after a few thousand planes.

Yes, I know the gascolator has a "screen", and my O-360 is carbureted, not fuel injected.

And the answer is...
Clean fuel

Thanks,
Daddyman

Back