What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rub Marks on Rudder. An issue?

SC flyer

I'm New Here
Ladies and Gents of the Forum, I am an experienced pilot but brand new to the RV world. I need the benefit of your wisdom and experience. I was recently looking at an RV-6A which I'm considering purchasing. There are distinct rub marks on both sides of the rudder, at the top, partly on the fiberglass and partly on the metal, where it has rubbed the edge of the vertical stabilizer. The rub marks are visible on both sides of the rudder but are more pronounced on the right. I will attempt to upload of a couple of photos.

Any idea why this is happening? Can it be fixed? How much of a deterrent should that be to purchase on an otherwise really nice airplane?

Thanks in advance for your help?

Attachments

• Rudder--Right Side.jpg
    Rudder--Right Side.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 550
  • Rudder--Left Side.jpg
    Rudder--Left Side.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 433
It may be that the rod end bearings for the rudder need to be adjusted in order to move the rudder back slightly from the vertical stabilizer. The rudder would need to be removed but this is fairly easy to do.
Also check the rudder stops and measure the deflection to ensure it is correct per the specs in the manual.
I'm sure that others will join in advising to get an overall pre-buy inspection by someone experienced in RVs.

Rub Marks on Rudder. An issue?

Also check the bottom of the rudder to make sure it wasn't caught in high wind without control locks. Lots of RVs have had the rudder contact the elevators in this situation. Move the rudder to full deflection (both directions) and see how close the elevator is throughout its travel. Look for contact marks on the rudder skin.

Most of the vertical stab tips I’ve seen are tips are trimmed at an angle on the trailing edge to prevent this.

Attachments

• 67EEFBF2-82CD-45F0-AD25-731E3E4F23CF.jpeg
    67EEFBF2-82CD-45F0-AD25-731E3E4F23CF.jpeg
    312.3 KB · Views: 292
Does the rudder scrape against the vertical stab when turned by hand?
If not, I wonder if somebody tried to install a form of gust lock between the two, and that material rubbed.

Most anything can be fixed, but it needs to be done in accordance with accepted practices. And I wholeheartedly agree that you should get somebody with RV knowledge and experience to do a thorough pre-buy. Don't let your emotions get the best of you!

And maybe I'm being overly cautious, but if the current owner let something like this go unchecked, what else might they have let slide that's maybe not so obvious? Just go into this with eyes wide open.

That 3rd solid rivet down appears to be in a figure 8 hole. Mistakes happen. I become wary when a bunch of small craftsmanship issues start to pile up. Would make me look extra hard at the main structural attachments for anything suspicious. How would a couple figure-8 holes do at the SB0036 hinge points considering its poorly designed load path?

easilly fixable, but the fact that the builder didn't check the clearance and notice the rubbing is a bad sign. If this is the only thing, then mistakes happen. However, it could also be poor attention to detail by the builder and there are numerous other, unseen, flaws. I have made mistakes like that (we are all human), BUT never let it just rub paint away without addressing the error in a few hours, let alone years or never. Not a good sign for either the builder or the A&P's that signed it off each year.

Strongly suggest a good pre-buy by someone very familiar with RVs and knows where to look for this type of builder error. You have to assume that approach is pervasive untill proven otherwise. Just imagine if he did the same thing on the control linkage?

Larry

Last edited:
Rudder

The vertical stabilizer paint looks like it isn’t adhering to them aluminum and fiberglass. I agree with the others that the rod end bearing are not properly adjusted and are in too far.

RV 14A flying

Last edited:
This is not a new airplane. I can't imagine anyone flying it and not noticing the paint damage and bent metal. And then not doing something about it. At least it looks bent in the picture. Someone who knows RV's should look at it for you. Good luck.

Back