What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Suggestion for Manifold Abs Pressure Fittings/Tubing

PhatRV

Well Known Member
I need to install the MAP sensor and running a same air hose to the right PMAG on my engine. Unfortunately, I have the Dynon supplied MAP sensor, its inlet port is too large for the small Vans nylon hose in the kit. I also need to split the same MAP air line into the PMAG inlet. Both of the MAP sensor and PMAG have the same hose inlet size which is approximately 1/8".

What is the tubing material and hose connectors you guys use for the MAP sensor? The Vans MAP kit comes with a steel braided hose that connects from the #3 cylinder and has a restricted AN fitting at the other end. The plastic air line connects from this restricted AN fitting to the sensor.

Thanks in advance for any reply.

I used the 3 port manifold that Van's supplies and connected all the transducers to it.

I had a custom length manifold pressure line made, and ran it parallel to the oil pressure line along the firewall. I fabricated a small tube to run from the VA-168 to an AN fitting on the firewall which has a 1/8 hose barb installed -- Tygon tubing from there connected to the Plasma III ignition boxes.

Attachments

• IMG_0214.jpg
    IMG_0214.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_0216.jpg
    IMG_0216.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_1071.jpg
    IMG_1071.jpg
    385.4 KB · Views: 347
I ended up getting a selection of plastic and brass tees and adapter fittings and playing around with locations and assemblies. Got the fittings from hardware stores, auto parts stores, etc.
I used the black rubber tubing supplied by EMag and the Van's sensor manifold as a splitter. See photos.
The terminal block is a 5V bus for the Dynon sensors. The MAP sensor is below the terminal block.

Attachments

• 2017-06-02 20.26.01.jpg
    2017-06-02 20.26.01.jpg
    391.8 KB · Views: 381
  • 2017-06-02 20.25.40.jpg
    2017-06-02 20.25.40.jpg
    388.3 KB · Views: 385
Thanks for all the pictures. I haven't thought about using the manifold fitting in the Vans FF kit since the braided line is too short from #3 cylinder. I have to check if I can tap the MP from the #4 cylinder.

I used silicone vacuum tubing. See no need for braided hose in this application. Get the appropiate sized, brass 1/8" NPT to 1/8" barb fitting (for the cyl) and a brass tee for 1/8" I thought Dynon used the GM map sensor, which has a 1/4" fitting I thought.

Don't use rubber vac hose. It will break down in a few years from the oil mist floating around.

Last edited:
I used an 1/8” NPT to Male AN-4 fitting in cylinder 3, an AN-4 braided hose to a bulkhead fitting (AN-4 to 1/8” NPT) thru the firewall, then an 1/8” NPT to barb fitting and silicone vacuum tubing (the thick wall stuff) from there to the steam gauge. Plastic or brass barb Tees would be a good choice behind the firewall if you have other devices to serve. Parts were most cost effective from Summit, JEGS, Grainger, Amazon. The Van’s manifold will be used FW forward for the MP sender if I upgrade to an EMS.

I also bought a cheap clear in line fuel filter (cleanable) to use as a “gunk trap” on the inside of the firewall to protect the instrument — but haven’t installed it yet.
I got the “clear” (whiteish) silicone tubing expecting fuel/oil staining to be visible if gunk accumulates in the lines.

Peter

Last edited:
I used the braided vacuum hose that came with the Van's FWF kit. I connected one end to the #3 cylinder and connected the other end to a 45 degree fitting mounted to a bracket I made and riveted to the firewall. I made a line from aluminum tubing to run from the 45 degree fitting to the sensor manifold block. I put a nipple fitting in the manifold and connected the manifold to the Dynon sensor with Tygon tubing

Last edited:
I used the braided vacuum hose that came with the Van's FWF kit. I connected one end to the #3 cylinder and connected the other end to a 45 degree fitting mounted to a bracket I made and riveted to the firewall. I made a line from aluminum tubing to run from the 45 degree fitting to the sensor manifold block. I put a nipple fitting in the manifold and connected the manifold to the Dynon sensor.

I would re-think the vinyl tube here. I think you would be surprise to find out how little heat it takes to deform it. Vacuum applications require a much more resilient wall strength than pressure and vinyal at 200* simply won't cut it.

Larry

Keep the pictures coming. Lkitson, my current solution is almost like yours in that I have a homemade bracket that holds the metal braided line to the rear of #3 cylinder. I've been shopping around for the hoses to run directly from the bracket to the Pmag+sensor, but the hoses are either too large for the PMAG or too small for the MAP sensor. I wish they standardize the vacuum connections.

I would re-think the vinyl tube here. I think you would be surprise to find out how little heat it takes to deform it. Vacuum applications require a much more resilient wall strength than pressure and vinyal at 200* simply won't cut it.

Larry

Thanks Larry. Good point. I'll change to silicone.

MAP Plumbing

Another Option, dual P-mags....
I used a manifold with three ports. Plumbing was straight forward.

Port 1 - input from cylinder #3
Port 2 - output to manifold pressure sensor
Port 3 - install a barb fitting and run your line (with a T fitting mid way) to your Pmags.

all%2Bhose%2Bsizes.JPG

With ~1,000 hours on the hobbs, this has worked well :)

There are many ways to do this. I like the silicon tubing approach. I also ordered some brass and stainless fittings from McMaster. I still haven't actually hooked it up yet but lots of ways to skin this cat.

This is how I mounted my MAP sensor and the braided line. I may have to revisit this installation to replace the tube connectors with something similar to what Mickey used.

The picture is showing the work in progress and not all the wires and plumbing are secured with Adel clamps yet. The zip ties are temporary.

Attachments

• 20210124_092649.jpg
    20210124_092649.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 175
Back