What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Duckworks lampless install kit details

mbuto

Hi!
I'm trying to determine if the Duckworks round lampless kit is the right choice for retrofitting the landing lights in my -9A. I have 2 Whelen PAR 36 lights I would like to install. I'm not the a/c builder so I don't know the details of the existing light install. (see attached photos). Can someone send me a copy of the documentation for the DW kit? (getting this info from DW has been a challenge).

Thanks,

Mike

Attachments

• Mount1.jpg
    Mount1.jpg
    604.8 KB · Views: 76
  • mount2.jpg
    mount2.jpg
    778.2 KB · Views: 54
I assume you will be removing the light fixture and it’s attach hardware that is pictured. If that’s the case, then the only thing that might be different is the opening already cut in the wing leading edge. It looks about right in the picture. I’ll measure my opening when I’m at the airport today, and see if I still have the plans sheets that came with the kit. The plans sheets have an outline of the opening that you cut out with scissors and tape to the wing to mark your cut line, so won’t have that sheet. I assume your cutout is in the outer most wing bay - that’s important to preserve wing strength - not much bending load out near the tip.

I measured the opening in the wing leading edge on mine and it’s 4 7/8” wide. Looks to be about the same as yours. I think the DW kit should work out fine and you already have the hole cut, which is about half of the job. I found the install plans also. It’s 9 pages. I could copy it and mail it to you, or try to take pictures of the pages to email. Not sure about how clear that would be.

I measured the opening in the wing leading edge on mine and it’s 4 7/8” wide. Looks to be about the same as yours. I think the DW kit should work out fine and you already have the hole cut, which is about half of the job. I found the install plans also. It’s 9 pages. I could copy it and mail it to you, or try to take pictures of the pages to email. Not sure about how clear that would be.

Great! Can you scan and email them?

I’ll try to do that on my iPad tomorrow or the next day - if I can figure out how…. PM me your email address when you get a chance.

Scott's offer and willingness to help is generous. Just remember that the RV-9 uses a different wing profile from the -3, -4, -6, -7, and -8. So the template for cutting the wing opening that Scott sends probably does not apply to the -9. The rest of the instructions probably do apply.

Regards,

Back