What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Does this look right?

ShortSnorter

Well Known Member
While working on step 2 on page 09-08 I am question how the tip rib assembly fits together the with bottom skin, front/rear spar assembly. More specifically how the E-904 flange, counter balance skin and E-00902-1 spar sandwich. The only way that I can get the parts to fit together easily is with the E-904 flange between the spar flange and the counter balance skin (which leaves a small gap). Am I over thinking this one or is this how its supposed to go together?:confused::confused:

2m4dqc0.jpg

2vtxpcg.jpg

30iyr6w.jpg

In looking at the plans versus the pictures, it appears that your spars are cleco'd backwards. The front spar flange should face forward and the rear spar flange face aft. Then there won't be any overlap with the rib.

Don't worry you're not the first person that couldn't see the forest because all the trees are in the way. Sometimes when you get stumped it takes a fresh set of eyes to see the obvious. Usually when something doesn't fit right, the orientation on at least one of the parts is off.

bob

Last edited:
In looking at the plans versus the pictures, it appears that your spars are cleco'd backwards. The front spar flange should face forward and the rear spar flange face aft. Then there won't be any overlap with the rib.

Don't worry you're not the first person that couldn't see the forest because all the trees are in the way. Sometimes when you get stumped it takes a fresh set of eyes to see the obvious. Usually when something doesn't fit right, the orientation on at least one of the parts is off.

bob

Thanks for the reply Bob! Here's another picture to give a better perspective of the assembly. Either I'm having "one of those days" or the plans just aren't that clear. In any case I'm still scratching my head!
2dw98qe.jpg

bob

Disregard what I said. I thought the close up photo was of a different spot.

I agree, I would have thought that it should stop short of the spar flange as well.

Have you given Van's a call?

When I got home from work, I checked the RV-10 plans. They appear to be the same on this step. I don't recall any concerns and I don't have any photos from the correct angle to check how mine were.

bob

When I got home from work, I checked the RV-10 plans. They appear to be the same on this step. I don't recall any concerns and I don't have any photos from the correct angle to check how mine were.

bob

Thanks for checking. It went together rather easily as is. I just noticed a gap between the counter balance skin and the tip rib. I haven't measured, but the gap,isn't very big and may be insignificant. I'll try and give van's a call tomorrow.

Update

Thanks for checking. It went together rather easily as is. I just noticed a gap between the counter balance skin and the tip rib. I haven't measured, but the gap,isn't very big and may be insignificant. I'll try and give van's a call tomorrow.

Official word from the factory is that the assembly pictured in the original post is in fact correct (E-904 flange sits inside of the E-00902-1 spar flange and the counterbalance skin sits on top of the spar flange). I guess I just got hung up on the transition gap on the counterbalance skin.

Back