What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is it possible to shift a maingear wheelpant sideways?

NM Doug

Well Known Member
I've noticed that the maingear pants of 1PF don't have much tire clearance along the inboard bottom edges. The right main pant has less than a 1/4" just forward of the seam between the front and back halves. This is, I imagine, the source of the black smudges I've seen on occasion on the aft lower inboard edge of the right pant: tire rubbing on the pant edge?

I would like to increase the pant/tire clearance and was considering taking a dremel to the pant edge, but when I looked at the tires from the front, it looks like the pants themselves are mounted a little outboard from a position where they'd be centered on the tires. The photo below is of the right main when viewed from the front. Is there a good way to add spacers or something on the inside of the pant to move it inboard, without messing up the fairings? Otherwise, I might be looking at having to take off a fair amount of the inboard bottom edge.

Thanks for any suggestions or alternatives -
Doug

2aaf51g.jpg

Start moving the pant, and the leg fairings won't line up right. I suggest you go back to the original plan and take off some of the pant with a dremel or other sanding method. Easy and quick.

Greg

I would just cut the opening a bit larger, I think you are looking at a big can of worms to try moving the pant.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thicker wheel spacer and redrill for cotter pin?

Would cause brake alignment issues. Keep the lid on the bucket of worms and just dremel/sand the pants.

it possible to shift a maingear wheelpant sideways?

I agree with the sanding group. I originally sanded my wheel pants openings to fit the smaller Lamb tires that came with the kit, then later replaced the Lambs with the Desser Monster Retreads and needed to increase the opening for the larger tires. I used the Harbor Freigt 6x48 belt sander for the job. The free end of the belt sander is the perfect radius for the wheel pant and with a 80 grit belt, the job took about 20 seconds. Good luck, Dan

Draw a line and use a hand file or a sanding block. don't be afraid to sand fibreglas by hand. A dremel will leave an uneven line and you will end up hand sanding anyway. You won't be taking very much material off to open this wheelpant another 1/8" or so.

Last edited:
It looks like the inboard clearance needs to be enlarged to match the outboard clearance. It is way too narrow. You can leave it like it is and wait for the first flat tire to rip it open for you, or be proactive and sand it as described by others. A generous opening does not adversely effect top speed in my experience but it sure keeps your wheel pants from self-destructing when a tire goes down. Ask me how I know this.

Back