What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

WillyEyeball Wins Sebring

MNForrest

Well Known Member
RV-4blackbottompattern.jpg

BillFreeA.jpg

Rumor has it that Bill McLean won Sportsman at the Fall Sebring IAC Contest in his "Competition Customized" RV-4. Nice job Bill!

Last edited:
Great job Billy!

Old age, inverted spins, and special wingtips. What a combination.

-Dave

Congrats

Bill,
Wow!!! I knew u could do it. WTG. All that daily practice finally paid off. Can't wait to see some pics or video. Tim

Bill got bored with the usual Sportsman figures, and threw in an inverted spin and a vertical roll into his Freestyle flight. I've never seen that before in Sportsman. All scored well. Nice flying Bill!

Hopefully Bill does not ind me sharing his freestyle!

I dare any other Sportsman guys to use it! :D I probably shouldn't say this, but inverted spins actually give you better visibility of the ground under your rotational axis, which many feel makes orientation easier....ONCE you get used to the different sensation, inputs, and inverted sight picture. They just take some adjusting to. Full credit to Bill for taking the challenge above and beyond the minimum requirements of Sportsman. Heck, some would say he's just showing off...sandbagger. :D

Congrats Bill-

Bill helped me out when i was stranded in enterprise with an oil cooler line leak, small world afterall!

Bringing home the gold

RV-4SebringFall2012.jpg
:D
Guess this shows the RVs can compete. Can't believe how much fun many of you potential aerobats are missing. If you have an opportunity to attend one of the contests, you'll understand.
Cheers,
Bill McLean
RV-4 slider
Enterprise, AL

Nice work Bill

Bill,

I have been trying to get more RV pilots involved in IAC for several years. We need someone like you to show how it's done. I would be interested to see your freestyle program if you can post it. Of course the freestyle program is optional in the Sportsman class, but it sure can be a plus if you do it right. You did! Congratulations!

thanks Eric and Damon

I dare any other Sportsman guys to use it! :D I probably shouldn't say this, but inverted spins actually give you better visibility of the ground under your rotational axis, which many feel makes orientation easier....ONCE you get used to the different sensation, inputs, and inverted sight picture. They just take some adjusting to. Full credit to Bill for taking the challenge above and beyond the minimum requirements of Sportsman. Heck, some would say he's just showing off...sandbagger. :D

I want to thank Eric for reviewing and signing off (with the correct Aresti numbers) the free style just a week before his contest, the Mason Dixon Clash in Virginia. He was the contest director, and also won first place on all three flights in the Advance Category. Damon Wack, who has flown in the unlimited category a few years back came to Sebring and critiqued me during a practice session. Forrest Fox gave me pointers in my first contest a few years ago. Eric, Damon, Forrest, and others in the IAC community are the ones responsible for us newbies progressing and the addiction. Look forward to next year.
Bill McLean
RV-4 Slider

Back