What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Introduce Myself...

ColbyS

Hello everyone.. I've been learking here for a few months and I've decided to make an account so I can get this ball rolling.. Well I have my PPL as of 01JAN2012. The owner of my FBO told me that I would get a ride in her RV6 after I got my ticket.. I didnt push the issue even though I really wanted a ride. As everyone elses lives are busy and complicated, mine is to.. SURPRISE!!
I was born and raised in Indiana, I am currently active duty in the Army (5 yrs), stationed in South Korea for the next few months. I'm a wheeled mechanic for Uncle Sam and have been busting knuckles with my father ever since I can remember. My next duty station is going to be Hawaii. Which is awesome but creates problems if I were ever going to start a build.
Right now I am leaning towards a RV7/7A. But then there are factors that could change that.. Mainly cost issues.. I would love to do some Aero but what addional costs would need to be done to the engine/systems in order to do Aero? If it's gonna cost way more to do some Aero, I might as well go with the 9. Isnt cost always an issue? Or I suppose I could penny pinch a little more.. hahah
So even though I'll be in Hawaii, I guess I'll find a House/Apt that has a garage even though those are way more expensive, or just work out of a bedroom.. lol I could always do the Empenage and wings in there. (Did I just say build wings in a bedroom? haha)
So as I talk outloud, I am in love with aviation! The aspects of owning and building a RV are so spectiular! I guess I need to do some more research and decide which route I need to take. Which RV am I going to build. Start buying tools now, etc, etc.. I am a hands on type of person, and wanna get dirty! Thank you very much for your time and I apologize now for any dumb *** questions I may ask in the future.
Happy Flying!

Colby,
Welcome to VAF! We're happy to have you here...it's a fun place and you'll learn plenty.

Oh, and there are a few of us here with senses of humor that are a bit off the beaten path...just fair warning.

And remember...there are no dumb*** questions. There are just...well, you know... :D

There is no need to spend any extra to make an RV-7/7A aerobatic. It will do most all "sportsman" type aerobatics just fine like it is.
Only modifications needed would be inverted fuel and oil, and that's only for "sustained" inverted flight. Most all aerobatic maneuvers can be done with positive "Gs".
Even though it can be cone, not many RVs are built for sustained inverted flight.

Welcome to VAF!!

Colby,
welcome.gif
to VAF.

Stick with VAF for a while Colby you will like it here. Have you considered of buying a flying RV? It's buyers market now. You can buy great flying RV of your dream for slightly more then cost of parts. Welcome and thanks for your service!

Welcome to the fun house Colby. I had to chime in mainly because of your build location comments. A number of RVs have been built in tight quarters. Vlad's one of them, at least a fair amount of his. I'm in the midst of building my 9a in my condo, wings up in my one-car garage, and my 2nd bedroom is a makeshift converted workshop for the dimpler, bench grinder, and other small parts prep. Like most everything you dedicate yourself to, you'll find a way.

... or just be boring, skip all the fun (and pain... and cussing... and smiling...) of building, and buy a flying RV. Either way, you'll get that expensive grin one way or another the first time you're behind the stick.

Welcome!

...and another crazy thought!....

get 2 or 3 of your buddies to buy a nice -6a or something....$15 k each maybe....and have it shipped to HI.
by the time you get it put back together, you'll know a heck of a lot more than most pilots do about their ride, and you can fly while you think about building.

( hey guys, can you imagine the scenery???? why would you ever come down, except for more avgas????)

Need some help in Hawaii??:D
Tom

Sure do.. Rent will be free and your hours are M-F 0630 to 1700, and I'm gonna work you like a dog.. ;)
I'm currently searching for some RV'ers in the Hawaii area, not much of an area, hahaha

Have you considered of buying a flying RV? It's buyers market now.

Yes I have thought about it.. I have found a few that I like, but mainly its the panel that I wanna desgin myself. I suppose having nice interrior is easy, I'm not sure who's it was on here but it was an RV-12 that was very apealing to me. I have seen a couple projects for sale on barnstormers. The question of why they are selling it is the biggest key. If i were to buy a project, it would have to be to a point where not to much was done IE: running wires. I am very anal about things like that and wanna have it my way. lol

get 2 or 3 of your buddies to buy a nice -6a or something....

Actually I was thinking about having my parents invest with me, but I would feel guilty cuz all they get out of it are some rides.. Was speaking with my mother the other day and told her once Dad sells the house in Indiana and moves to New Mexico that he should just retire. I'll pay him his weekly salary to build the RV.. but what fun is that for me? I wanna screw holes in my fingers, fling hot parts across the garage, think of taking a sledge hammer to the project and ending it all, and most importantly loose an inch on the hair line.

So many questions and so much more research..
Engine, RV Model type, Panel, then even more once I am ready to start adding electrical components into the mix, compaitablity with each other, how to hook it up, etc etc... but I'm always up for an option.. I'm only 28, I should take my time with this..But dont wanna loose interest. I guess all that it would take is a ride in a RV once awhile to be that kid in the candy store again.

Free rent in Hawaii????????
Hum-------------- what could be better than a pair of shorts, a hula shirt, and building an RV? dont answer that-----

Back