What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Petit Jean 2012 RV Fly-In Camp-In .... is ON !!

I guess not since it's 2:40 now. I wasn't aware. Is that an EAA chapter? Edit: Googled it and saw that it was.

Last edited:
I will bring you some Oban, it's what got me started liking Scotch. The good news is that there will be all sorts of different ones to try...and after a few drinks of each you will love them all ;-)

Oban 14 is what got me started too!

Aberlour 16 is another non-peated Scotch that's very good..., it's a Speyside malt. If you like the sweeter malts, another Speyside that I really enjoy is Cragganmore 12.

A good place to learn about the world of single malt scotch whiskys is www.ralfy.com. He's done a couple hundred video blog reviews, and includes almost every brand made.

Last edited:
"Scotch" Terrier

With a "Scotch" Terrier on my V. Stabilizer I am sure looking forward to this years Petit Jean :D

Dangerous area

I was thinking of doing a fast flyby after the race in Grove but with all the booze talk I think I'll stay clear.

Bob Axsom

I'm out

Memorial service for one of my dearest, life-long friends. I'll try to send my representative in my place.

Petit Jean RV Fly-In Camp In UPDATE

Just two days out and looking great! Too much info to post but all of you who have registered on-line should be receiving updates from [email protected] . If you are planning on coming and haven't registered (see first post) please do and we'll get you on the update list. Registration link is in first post in this thread.

Just a reminder for those that check .... there are notams in place posted by the Airport Manager and State Parks showing the airport as "closed for EAA Event" and "except for EAA Event Aircraft" and "use caution taxing on grass". What this really means is that you need to be transmitting on 122.9 on the way in just like you normally would. This insures that we know who is coming and what to look for. By definition, if you are reading this ..... you are an "event aircraft" and cleared for the approach :)

Promises to be a great weekend! C U all there :)

!JBR 10/222 MPJ AIRSPACE FLY IN SPECIAL EVENT EAA ACFT CTC 122.0
501-590-9646 501-517-6210 WEF 1211011500-1211042359

Can I assume that the 122.0 MHz is incorrect?

Yes

!JBR 10/222 MPJ AIRSPACE FLY IN SPECIAL EVENT EAA ACFT CTC 122.0
501-590-9646 501-517-6210 WEF 1211011500-1211042359

Can I assume that the 122.0 MHz is incorrect?

Ron,
I'm curious where you found that. The Notam I read says 122.9 which is correct.

Mark

Mark, it was the NOTAM link on the right side of airnav.com for MPJ.

It has since been changed.

Can't make it this year :-(

I was looking forward to being there, but I'm in Colorado with work and won't get to be there. Have fun guys!

It's looking kind of iffy whether we'll make the trek. With the remnants of Sandy Frankenstorm still swirling her edges through this area, the forecast is for a chance of rain each day -- which around here could mean anything from low clouds/vis or high puffy clouds and UV.

Add to that my navigator's recent flying experience to KC last weekend where we both nearly froze our little tushies off, and convincing her to climb back into the plane for a 3-hour+ flight is questionable.

I'll see how the forecast shapes up in the morning and make the call.

If we don't make it down this year, know that I'll be wishing I was there ... had a great time last year. Danny and Marthajane will be our proxies.:D

Add to that my navigator's recent flying experience to KC last weekend where we both nearly froze our little tushies off......

Oh, Don. If you were cold up front you don't know how cold your wife was back there! The backseat of an -8 is no place to be without arctic gear when it's cold and most -8 drivers have no clue because they don't ride back there. That's one of the reasons that I'm not a fan of the -8. The front seat is toasty in comparison to the back. In fact, in the Val, the pilot is commonly overheating while the passenger is freezing in back.

Your wife needs to learn to fly the -8 and stick you in back so you'll appreciate what she had to deal with.

Bummed that I have to miss PJ this weekend. Paul does plan to be there in the -3.

It'll probably be about 2:30pm in the afternoon Saturday before I get there, but still planning on making it. Bringing a brand new bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail single malt to warm up with around the campfire Saturday night ;)

The only RV model I've ever known to have decent heat for all occupants is the RV-10. Every one of the 2-seaters I've ridden in during cold weather, is freezing inside. Worst was sitting in the back seat of an RV-4 coming back from Wichita KS when it was about 20 deg OAT and I had no gloves. Mr. Freeze was shooting icicle rays thru the flap rod holes on either side of me and I had nothing to stuff in them to block the cold wind. The last time I rode in the back seat of an RV-8 when it was cold, I was better prepared... nice warm coat, gloves, and a big towel to roll up in a U- shape to lay in the rear canopy skirt to help block the cold air coming in back there. Also wrapped the rear seat air vent with a towel to help block any cold air leaking in there. We have upholstery covers over the sides of the cockpit of the -8 that helps block cold air coming in from the flap pushrod holes, and the plane is also equipped with aileron pushrod boots which work great to help keep cold air from coming in those holes. The heater in my RV-6 is pretty much worthless. It puts out lukewarm air at best. I may try stuffing some stainless pot scrubbers into the heat muff next time I have the cowl off to see if that improves the heater. One of the things I really miss about my old Cherokee 140... it had a gigantic muffler and cabin heat muff, and the heater in it would almost melt the soles of your shoes to the rudder pedals :p When I flew it home from Iowa after I first bought it, it was 14 degrees at the surface and well below zero at cruising altitude, yet me and my dad stayed toasty warm all the way back to Texas.

Bummed

Well, it's official. We're out. :mad:

The spousal unit went for a walk this morning and then sent me an e-mail that she nearly froze. I think that cold-soaking really did a job on us last weekend -- we both seem to get really cold if the temp is just a little cold. Guess we're just getting old.

Anyway, here's hoping that y'all have fun without us. I'll miss sipping some of that Uigeadail with Neal, Andrew and everybody else, as well as the roaring campfires and the smell of fall.

However, we'll do our best up here. Guess I'll just have to sip some of the nectar in the hot tub at night with a fine ceegar. Best I can do.

Have fun, y'all!

I got heat!!

Just as a data point. I have Vetterman exhaust with mufflers and heat muffs around just one muffler. It will run you out of the plane if you don't keep it almost closed. I did add the aileron tube boots as a lot of cold air comes up through the stick holes if left open.
I plan on arriving around noon Friday or shortly after.:D:D

Campsite team is ramping up!

:)Don Moore is the first of our campsite prep team to hit the site today. All mowed and loverly but I couldn't resist posting his note to the set up team! That EAA Hot Springs bunch is a working crew and even a little poetic :) Have 62 registered (50+ airplanes) with a only a couple of cancels, weather nice, looking good!

Don said >>>>>>

Firewood in place.
Fire pits cleaned out.
Food tent on the ground. (may try to put it up) Adding to the list to bring.
Two Thirty gallon trash cans.
10 pound fire extinguisher for emergency.
Yard rake.

Update from Petit Jean you might pass on.

Thursday morning just after daybreak looking off the mountain to the northwest towards the Arkansas river the fog was hanging low in the valleys with just the tallest of pine trees sticking up above the fog.( would have made a postcard picture) As I drove on toward the airport there were four deer feeding alongside the road in the park and three bucks on the runway at the airport. One of the bucks look like it could have been Bullwinkal himself. The geese are on the lake doing there morning wakeup call, a pair of pileated woodpeckers in the camp site doing there thing." Sounds like it should be rated 10+". The weather is clear and crisp, fall colors just past peak. Hope no one is thinking of sleeping in. What a great start to a RV weekend.

See everyone tomorrow.

Don

end quote >>>>>>>>>>>

C U there! Last updates are out. Fly safe. Check notams, call on 122.9 and get ready for a RV kinda good time!

Last edited:
Oh yeah...those geese! The first time we did Petit Jean with a small group from Texas, those guys kept everyone awake most of the night - they are quite the noise makers! They are also the reason I don't like to make TOO low of passes...

I'm hoping to launch out of Houston first thing Friday - we had fog until 10:00 this morning though, so I am hoping it doesn't repeat tomorrow.

Hey Paul,

An old friend of mine is at Cape Kennedy now for the NASA Social for the final journey of Atlantis. He was one of the 45 selected:

http://www.nasa.gov/connect/social/social_atlantis_nov2012.html

He is sending tons of photos and knows how blessed he is to be in the company of NASA personnel. I sent him your name to drop around, thinking he may get some extra special treatment!! :)

I think that six degrees of separation is even less in the RV world...

Friday: 730 AM. Sitting in Mather Lodge eating breakfast.

Medium jacket is too warm. Hiked in shorts and t-shirt Thursday to Cedar Falls. Almost no water but still a pretty hike. Beaucoup tripping/ankle turning hazards so take your time.

Will head back to the airport after breakfast to greet the greeters.

No Fuel

I just called the fuel folks for petit jean.

No fuel... for the entire weekend. Plan on getting fuel somewhere else.

Amanda and I are looking forward to seeing everyone this afternoon and this evening!!!

Update: For folks traveling up from texas or there abouts, I just talked to the Turnage Farms people at @ 7M3 and the DO have 100 LL. This is just SW of MPJ (about 48 miles)

Last edited:
Beautiful Weather

Beautiful weather 5:00 PM and it is still in the 70's. 40 RVs on the field and many more expected inn Saturday. Temps in the 80s during the day and 50s at night. If you are not here you are missing a great fly-in.

Two observations:

1) The amount of work that goes into this event is not trivial. I watched your hosts setting up and that was no doubt a small amount of work that occurred before today. They are to be commended for doing the work that makes it a great event.

2) I have not been to every RV fly-in but I cannot imagine one that is as good as this one. Camp out. Hotel. Your choice.

Chauffeured trips to hiking sites, between the hotel/lodge and airport. Meals. Cold drinks. A goodie bag that was unexpected.

A campground that has power, a nice restroom/shower. And just a minute or so walk from your plane.

Yes...it is a nice fly-in.

PS, I just came in from a BS session around a fire. Gotta love it.

I just got back to Houston from Petit Jean,and all I can say is Wow! When I think of how this started about six years ago with five or six airplanes of people on a very cold weekend after Thanksgiving - and compare it to the 50 airplanes we had on the ramp last night with huge tents, cooking crews, parking crews, welcome crews, etc....I think this is the new "Central US RV Fly-In" for all within reach!

Great time - great weather, great hiking....sorry I had to come back so soon.

Paul

Good to see you Paul.

Dark has arrived. Dr. Andrew, Adjuster of Attitudes, just prescribed a tasty dose of Scotland.

Danny has lost his chair.

The cooks are trying to hand out more food......hot garlic bread.

Tanya and Scott arrived after you left. No cookies. Special K bars instead. Chocolate. Peanut butter. Crunchy. Gooey. Ummmmmm......good!

Geese just cranked the honkers.

More later...time for a bonfire.

Last edited:
For those of us who have have been able to attend all eight years of this RV flyin/camping trip at Petit Jean, I would like to thank Bill, the Eaa chapters, and all those who have helped him the last few years for doing such an outstanding job of providing meals, firewood, and transportation services that have made this event grow and be able to be enjoyed by more and more RV enthusiasts. Jim

My first time to Petit Jean and I only live 40 minutes flight time from there. Arkansas has some of the most beautiful scenery to be found anywhere. Great experience and the folks that put all their hard work into making it happen deserve a big thank you. Having a long paved runway makes it a perfect place for all planes so no one has to worry about messing up wheel pants. I didn't count planes but it was a great turnout. Thanks for the memories!

Saturday morning I counted 49 planes and noticed a Mooney in place of a previously parked Cessna. Plus a plane was landing. I left Saturday morning so they may have gotten more day trippers.

Did a rain squall come by Saturday night?

No Rain

Saturday morning I counted 49 planes and noticed a Mooney in place of a previously parked Cessna. Plus a plane was landing. I left Saturday morning so they may have gotten more day trippers.

Did a rain squall come by Saturday night?

No rain last night. Stars were quite a sight!
Photos to come.

Mark

Love it!

Dr Andrew is home after a grueling 29 minute flight back to KASG. ;-)

What a spectacular event. I am honored to be a part of such a great gathering of fine folks!

Always great to see old friends and spend quality time with new ones as well.

Looking forward to next year already!

Back to Michigan

Darlene and I made it back to cold Michigan, 562 miles in 4 hours 20 minutes. Had a pretty good headwind the first 240 miles.

My hat is off to Bill and all the volunteers that made this a great event. Everyone went above and beyond to make this a truly top notch fly-in. I'll be spreading the word and maybe we'll have a flight from MI next year.

Really enjoyed meeting so many nice people.

Stay safe,
Gary Kremers
N715AB

Kudo to Bill, Richard and Team

Great fly-in, good weather, good food, good company and superb effort by the local team and volunteers. The spouse even enjoyed it:D
On the list for next year again.:D

For those of us who have have been able to attend all eight years of this RV flyin/camping trip at Petit Jean, I would like to thank Bill, the Eaa chapters, and all those who have helped him the last few years for doing such an outstanding job of providing meals, firewood, and transportation services that have made this event grow and be able to be enjoyed by more and more RV enthusiasts. Jim

The first time we did this fly in Danny and Marthajane Jim and Debby Lane and I were there, the 5 of us. Boy howdy has it changed, and Gotten Better!!!
Bill has made this one of the most fun gatherings for us RV types in the nation, well,,, at least south central.
The first time we had no transportation, firewood, and were rather primitive.
Thanks for making for a fun weekend, hoping for many more.

Thanks Bill!!!

I gotta chime in here - ditto to what everyone else said, this was one great fly-in in every way. Bill, you and your volunteers have created a major RV event in a drop dead georgeous part of the country at the perfect time of year.

Couldn't have been better. Thanks again.

Scorch

Big Thank you

My first time and it was GREAT. Thanks to all who helped get a new battery when I messed up and left the switch on . This RV family is great. We are home and are ready to attend next year. Bill let some us help your chapter next year. Anyone who missed this one it is a big loss for you

How may planes ended up being there?

I thought about at least doing a fly-by and seeing all the RVs parked there but there just wasn't time. Sounds like it is a growing and very enjoyable event. "A Happening" as they used to say.

Bob Axsom

Friday's headwind paid back today.....1:50 KMPJ to south Alabama, a little over 200 knots at 21.2 MPG. Patti and I had a marvelous weekend. Thank you all.

A few photos from the cell phone:

Bill trying to teach everyone how to play Liar's Poker, or Rock, Paper, Scissors, or something like that....

sen75t.jpg

The view from the state park campground on the opposite lakeshore. A few million bucks worth of RVs parked over there....

21myw4h.jpg

Petit Jean - All quiet at the campground

Just posted a write up in a fresh thread and links to a couple of hundred pictures (really :rolleyes:)

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=92792

Link to all 218 downloadable pictures of you and your buddies..Click here http://www.keepandshare.com/photo/44...rv-fly-in-2012

This folder has people, planes, AND NAMES ! Enjoy ! http://www.keepandshare.com/photo/441412/planes-with-names-petit-jean-2012

Full write up.... fresh thread! Pictures like :

_dv12508_09_10_tonemapped-24259630.jpg

Paul .... sorry Louise couldn't make it... glad you could!

dsc_0881-67630546.jpg

Bulldog ..... you dead sticking it in ??

dsc_0508-82629625.jpg

Well.... it's fun so that sorta like an RV ...:rolleyes: AnnaLynn waving to the crowd!

dsc_0568-48739840.jpg

Danny and MarthaJane ..... aren't they cute .... gotta love that Texas bunch :)

dsc_0752-67219604.jpg

John and Amanda Eldridge and the infamous Andrew Barker ;)

Hope you enjoyed this weekend .... it really was about the "gathering" and everyone that attended contributed to the effort! See ya next year :)

Last edited:
Great fly-in indeed. I only wish that I could've gotten there Friday too and stayed all weekend... maybe next year. All my RV friends back here in WFalls that didn't go were wishing they'd have gone after viewing all the photos.

Wow!

Thank you Mark. The picture of the orange and white RV-9A is my plane with my son, Scott. That is the best picture to date of my plane. New screensaver too. :D:D

Last edited:
Back