What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mass arrival of 40 RVs at Oshkosh 2012

John RV8

Well Known Member
The Airventure website list several different aircraft groups planing "mass arrivals" on Sunday. There are Bonanzas, Mooneys, Cessnas, J-3s and RVs.
The smallest number (of planes in the group) of planes expected on the list was Mooneys at 39 a/c, RV's 40 a/c (we can do better than that!!) Cessnas 75 a/c, J-3s 75 a/c and Bonanzas 100 a/c. Who is organizing the RV's ? Who can be part of the group? Do you need a formation card? Anyone have any information? Thanks

OSH RV Mass Arrival at 1330 on Sunday (7/22)

I am organizing the 40-ship RV Mass Arrival at OSH. It is intended to bring attention to Van's 40th anniversary of being at Oshkosh. It will be a formation event and does require formation cards. It will be similar to our previous arrivals with a Large Formation pass down the flight line, then breaking up into 4-ships over the lake for return to the pattern for landing. I already have the 40 participants selected.

The RV Mass Arrival will be at 1330 on Sunday.

Last edited by a moderator:
OSH Arrival

Stu, Thanks for the info. I was thinking the "mass formation" of 40 planes would be associated with the arrival of the RV-1 on Monday and the salute to Van that goes with it. I wondered if the 'mass arrival' (not a formation) on Sunday may have been for those of us not worthy too be in the other group.

I'll be arriving at KOSH sometime in the afternoon on Sunday. Probably solo this year, but might be in a 2 or 3-ship group depending on any possible last minute plan changes by buddies.

Got the empty wallet syndrome this year, so will likely be camping on the field frugal-style instead of staying in Wautoma at a motel like the past 5 years and flying/driving in daily.

Stu, Thanks for the info. I was thinking the "mass formation" of 40 planes would be associated with the arrival of the RV-1 on Monday and the salute to Van that goes with it. I wondered if the 'mass arrival' (not a formation) on Sunday may have been for those of us not worthy too be in the other group.

All RV drivers are worthy, just some have not have the training to do close formation.

The RV Mass Arrival previously described will be Sunday at 1330. Then on Monday there is another RV event associated with the RV-1 and Van's 40th anniversary recognition on the plaza.
http://www.airventure.org/news/2012/120531_rv1.html

Just wanted to know something.

When these Mass Arrivals are scheduled, do they shut down the airport to accommodate? ie. Those trying to get in are put into the holding pattern till all designated aircraft have landed ?

I assume the arrival ATIS would indicate as such.

I'm planning on coming in on Sunday afternoon.

Thx,

Darren

No they do not shut down the airport.
With multiple landing runways, arrivals are directed to the right place.
You will not hear anything on atis.
Follow normal arrival procedures. If all goes well, you will not even notice its happening.

Mass Arrivals

Typically during a Mass Arrival, normally on 18/36, at the right time, the Fisk Controller will start vectoring all the Ripon/Fisk arrivals to 09/27, allowing the Mass Arrivals to land on 18/36. Then, as soon as the Mass Arrivals are down, the Fisk Controller will start back up the 18/36 vectoring. As long as someone does not shut down a runway, all goes well.

Ok, thanks for the info. fellas.

I wish the Mass Arrival would be on Monday when the RV-1 is coming in. It should be the 1, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12 and the 14 (all shrouded in a Black drape with only the canopy sticking out:)). Then do the big reveal!

That's how to make an entrance:)

Darren

Last edited:
Ok, thanks for the info. fellas.

I wish the Mass Arrival would be on Monday when the RV-1 is coming in. It should be the 1, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12 and the 14 (all shrouded in a Black drape with only the canopy sticking out:)). Then do the big reveal!

That's how to make an entrance:)

Darren

Many planes in the Sunday 40-ship RV Mass Arrival will also lead the Parade of RVs into OSH on Monday for a 1445 narrated arrival during Showcase.

RV Mass Arrival on Sunday

The 40-ship RV Mass Arrival has been practiced at SQI and is ready for the 1330 arrival time on Sunday. Larry the Narrator has a script to warn and advise of the pending arrival. It will be led by Falcon Flight of 10, followed by an 18-ship in a unique formation comprised of members of West Coast Ravens, Denver Renegades, KC, and Cincy River Rats, followed by TeamRV 12-ship. A Flight of Forty to honor Van's 40th anniversary.

Could somebody advise Van to be outside and looking up?

Saw the Mooneys yesterday...Sad, i had done that 3 times in the past when i was a Mooney owner and you had to reserve months in advance as they capped at 100. Wonder what happened with them?

The Flight of 40 is fueling and packing this morning. One more brief and we'll be northbound. The pictures out of the practice flights look simply awesome. Don't miss it, it looks really neat.

40-ship Participants

Every year someone asks who the pilot participants were for the 40-ship Flight of Forty Large Formation, so here goes.

Falcon Flight 10-ship
1- Stu "Falcon" McCurdy
2- Bill "Gunnbody" Gunn
3- Lowell "Pfantom" LeMay
4- Ron "Shorts" Walker
5- Pat "Glider" Tuckey
6- Roy "Jarhead" Geer
7- Jeff "Shiner" Jackson
8- Steve "Lizard" Richmond
9- Tom "Woody" Jett
10- Scott "Scoot" Card

The 4 (West Coast Ravens and Denver Renegades)
A1- Mark "Dula" Dulaney
A2-Dan "Sunblock" Hall
A3- Dave "Rodoc" Leonard
A4- Brad "Tailwind" Ransom
B1- Jim "Gringo" Gray
B2- Mike "KB" Smith
C1- Tim "Tank" Redden
C2- John "Brick" Brick
C3- Steve "Shifty" Payne
C4- Dan "Lava" Miller

The 0 (The KC Flight, Cincy River Rats, and Denver Renegades)
E1- Bill "BeeGee" Gill
E2- Steve "Weasel" Cox
E3- Phil "Ripper" Lamb
E4- Keith "Jazz" Schult
F1- Kevin "Husker" Loseke
F2- Jon "Mutha" Thocker
F3- Bud "Joker" Newhouse
F4- Kent "Yobo" Yohe

Spares (who turned out invaluable and a very important part)
1- Gary "Condor" Sobek
2- Paul "Rosie" Rosales
3- Axel "Closer" Alvarez (who actually flew the A3 spot in the arrival)

Team RV 12-ship
A1- Mike "Kahuna" Stewart
A2- Jerry "Widget" Morris
A3- Ron "Smokey" Schreck
A4- Bob "Subob" Goodman
B1- Greg "Greese" Reese
B2- James "Chatterbox" Clark
B3- Danny "Speedy" Kight
B4- Tad "Stripes" Sargent
C1- Len "Leggs" Leggette
C2- Tom "Dubes" Dubrouillet
C3- Bob "RB" Gibbons
C4- Tony "Sleepy" Spicer

FFI formation pilots from 12 different states all met at Whiteside Co, Rock Falls IL (KSQI) on Friday, briefed and practiced on Saturday, and headed for Oshkosh at 1230 on Sunday for our 1330 RV Mass Arrival assigned slot. Rodoc and Rosie and Axel executed their procedures perfectly during an unscheduled event on the way to OSH.

On Monday, Falcon Flight, the 4 and the 0 repositioned to Dodge Co (KUNU) along with the RV Parade to brief and depart for a 1445 Showcase RV Parade arrival of the Surprise RV-14, flown by Ken Krueger, the -12, -10, -9, -8, -7, -6, -4, -3, and the RV-1 flown by Van himself. Rosie flew his -6A in the Parade and proved invaluable in helping the non-formation firewalled -12 stay in position, along with assistance of Condor and Axel coaching. We were scheduled to land in front of the crowd on RWY36, but with the winds 290/15G20 we decided RWY27 a better option.

Congrats to all for a disciplined and well flown Arrival and Parade.

Congrats also go to Bob "Nasty" Mills who planned all the West Coast Ravens participation but could not participate due to a unscheduled event at home. He handed it off at the last minute to Dula who did a great job.

Also congrats to Dave "Hog" Klages who did the graphics for the TShirts and Mercedes "Cougar" Eulitt who got them made and shipped.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back