What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First flight RV-7, VHS-EWS, Hunter Valley Australia

eddieseve

Well Known Member
First flight RV-7, VH-EWS, Hunter Valley Australia

Hi Guys,

On Monday the 16th July at about 12:30pm, Keith McGeachie my test pilot, made a successful first flight of my RV-7 after a 4 year build.

Duration was 0.4 hours, just long enough to evaluate aircraft handling, no issues where reported and engine temperatures where all in the green, take off was quick even with a fixed pitch prop, and he was off the ground before the first taxiway on 35 at Cessnock.

Static rpm check before the flight for the 72? dia x 85? pitch Sensenich was 2100 rpm, and 2350 rpm on climb out.

I have one dead EGT that we knew about, which I need to sort out.

After the flight we de-cowled and inspected the aircraft from front to rear and found no issues except for some oil that I had spilled on the bottom hinge line, which I assume the negative air pressure was helping to work its way out, this left a small mess on the forward bottom skin, about ? a teaspoons worth.

With the RV reassembled, I took it up to continue its initial run-in, 75% power for the first 2 hours and then varying between 65-70% until oil consumption drops, not sure how quickly I will be able to detect oil consumption, but at the moment after 1.7 hours I can? tell if I it has used any???

I bored holes in the sky over Cessnock airport for about 1 hour and generally got the feel of things, and then did 3 stop and go landings before calling it a day resulting in 1.3 hours of flight time.

My landing technique leaves a bit to be desired at the moment, because once I loose visibly of the runway over the nose in the 3 point attitude, I am not using my peripheral vision to gauge when to continue flaring and am over correcting a little by flaring too early, which resulted in a small bounce for each landing, practise practice practise.

Checked the belly again after pulling it into the hangar and found about 1/8 of a teaspoons worth of oil, I?ll keep an eye on this to ensure its not coming from anywhere else, engine seems dry and oil free, I will de-cowl again before next flight to check all is OK.

Without wheels spats or fairings, I am seeing about 137-140 knots at 2370-2400 rpm, I assume this is about normal.

Handling through the range, I tried 55 knots to 160 knots in a slight dive is rock solid

On climb out my CHTs are hitting about 380-390F and drop to 345-355 in cruise.

EGTs for the 3 that are working are all close at around 1250-1300 ish.

Oil temperature is cold at 165F so might need to block off the oil cooler a little.

A heavily edited version of the link to the video below;

https://fbcdn-video-a.akamaihd.net/..._=1342561056_99f0999982fe329077ec9b2f94350ea9

Or the youTube version if the above does not work;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlUVUob5lFE&sns=em

Cheers
Eddie
VAF 2012 PAID

Last edited:
My test pilot was not comfortable with the internal handle not being accessible from the outside should something go wrong, so he elected to leave it unlatched for the first flight.

It was one of those things that we considered when doing all the emergency planning, so right or wrong that was what went into the first flight plan.

Cheers
Eddie

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Guys,

On Monday the 16th July at about 12:30pm, Keith McGeachie my test pilot, made a successful first flight of my RV-7 after a 4 year build.

Cheers
Eddie

Good job, glad you are now an airplane owner, not a project owner:D

Mate, great work. Hurry up and fly off those Phase 1 hours so we can all have a look at it at Ausfly in September.

Oh and once you start to do wheelers, landings are such a breeze. They are so nice to wheel on.

Mark.

Last edited:
Nice

Congratulations!

I was told to break-in the new engine bij flying different power settings a lot and not to hesitate to run at 80% power or more for longer times, otherwise you may end up with a lazy engine. So that is what I did and my engine uses hardly any oil and cerntainly performs very well (ceiling = 26.640 ft).

I am not an expert, so do what your engine manufacturer tells you to do.

Good luck with a very nice plane.

Regards, Tonny.

Eddie, Thanks for posting your initial phase 1 results. Would you share your weight and balance numbers as well? My 7 will be very similar configured.

Hi Kevin,

I'd like to be a little more forward, so might invest in a lighter tail wheel, the numbers I got were;

The total weight was 498.6kg or 1096.84 lbs

The weights, arms and moments were;

________Weight___Arm______Moment
Left_____513.92___69.0"_____35460
Right____513.92___69.0"_____35460
Tail______69.0___249.6"_____17222

Total___1096.84____________88142

Empty CofG = 88142/1096.84 = 80.36"

CofG range 78.7" --> 86.82"

Cheers
Eddie

Last edited:
First flight

Well done Eddie, great video, great paint job, and such a slim thing as well, my girl tips the scales at 518kg ( 1145lbs.) can't wait to see it in the flesh.

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Steve, welcome to VAF:D

How about photos and info on your plane?

Good to have you here.

I'll see what I can pull together in terms of photos, equipment list etc. and update soon.

Thanks for all the nice comments

Cheers
Eddue

Hi Guys,

A few photo's of the RV-7 showing the paint scheme and with wheel fairings installed, these where removed for the first flight;

Engine and prop are standard Vans;
Lycoming IO-360-M1B horizontal induction
Sensenich fixed pitch 72" dia x 85" pitch
2 x Slick Mags with a GCi CDI module.
RVbits plenum lid.

Panel;
Dynon Skyview D1000
Dynon ADAHRS
Dynon EMS
Dynon Transponder
Dynon Backup battery

Switches;
Aveo Rock Rack

Stick Grips;
Tosten Manufacturing

Electric Trims on Ailerons and Elevators

Garmin GPS 695
ICOM A210 Radio
Flightcom Intercom

Interior by Classic Aero;
Sportsman pack

view.php

view.php

view.php

view.php

Cheers
Eddie

Last edited:
Hi Jamie,

Yep I'll be there, hoping to fly but realistically I can't see me flying those hours off in time, so might have to drive.

I'll have to track you down by camping near your RV which I will have no trouble recognising.

Cheers
Eddie

Back