What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin Oshkosh 2012 Announcements

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Garmin is pleased to share some of our Oshkosh announcements with our portable and experimental aviation customers on VAF.

GDL39 ADS-B Receiver

The GDL 39 receives free traffic and weather from ADS-B ground stations and additionally receives air-to-air traffic from aircraft transmitting on both 978 MHz (UAT) and 1090 MHz (extended squitter).

The 010-11689-06 GDL39 package (for G3X) comes with a GDL39, a snap-in mount, and a bare wire cable for $799 street price. The snap-in mount allows you to remotely mount the GDL39 or just secure it to the glare shield or other convenient location. The top mounted ADS-B In and internal GPS antennas can be remote mounted if you want to keep your glare shield clear.

Similar $799 packages complete with GDL39 and cable are available for GPSMAP 695/696, Aera 500/510/550/560, and Aera 795/796. As an introductory mail-in promotion, customers purchasing a GDL39 package before Aug. 31st, 2012 receive a free carrying case and battery. Support for the GPSMAP 396/495/496 is limited to traffic only.

Connecting a GDL39 to a G3X system is simple with the bare wire cable which comes with the GDL39 package. Just connect the two RS-232 data lines to a spare serial port on the G3X MFD (or PFD in single display G3X system) in addition to power and ground and you can be receiving traffic and weather in minutes.

G3X supports both TIS-A traffic from transponders like the GTX23ES and ADS-B traffic (TIS-B, ADS-R, ADS-B air-to-air). You have the choice of configuring the system to automatically choose TIS-A traffic over ADS-B traffic when TIS-A is available, or just stick with ADS-B traffic all the time.
cf-md%255B1%255D.jpg

Aera5XXTraffic.jpg

ADS-B Traffic on Aera 5XX

TrafficPage.jpg

ADS-B Traffic on G3X

20120716_122728.jpg

FIS-B NOTAMS on G3X

Stations.jpg

ADS-B Ground Station List Shown on Actual Flight at 4500'

fisb_nexrad2.jpg

FIS-B Weather on G3X Map Page

GPS400W IFR Navigator for G3X

As everyone is no doubt aware, the FAA is currently requiring a certified WAAS GPS source for ADS-B Out. To complete our ADS-B In/Out capability for G3X, we wanted a more affordable way for customers to provide that data to the GTX23ES extended squitter Mode S transponder ? and this is it.

G3X customers can now purchase a GPS400W IFR navigator for $3,995 street price and not only will they have the required position source for ADS-B Out, they can also fly IFR enroute and thousands of LNAV, LNAV+V, LNAV/VNAV, and LPV approaches to make this an exceptional value.

ADS-B In/Out Solution for G3X

With G3X you can start small with a complete single display system for as low as $5,995 or a complete dual display system for as low as $8,570 and then add on affordable components to achieve full ADS-B In/Out capability and even IFR navigation/approach capability.

Add GDL39 ADS-B traffic and weather receiver: $799
Add GTX23ES Mode S transponder with 1090 ES ADS-B Out: $2,199
Add GPS400W IFR navigator for GTX23ES position source and IFR approaches: $3,995

Equipping for the ADS-B mandate and receiving the benefits of free ADS-B traffic and weather couldn?t be simpler. With G3X and the GTX23ES you have a single 1090 MHz extended squitter transmitter and you enter your transponder code and flight ID right through the PFD.

And the best news is that this capability is available now. G3X and portable software updates will be available during Oshkosh week.

If you are at Oshkosh next week please stop by the G3X tent, say hello, and let us answer any questions you may have.

Thanks to all our great customers for their support,
Garmin Portable and Experimental Aviation Team

P.S. Stay tuned - another announcement coming later this week! :)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
FAQs
1. Can the GDL39 antenna(s) be remote mounted?
Yes, the top mounted antenna uses an SMA connector. This antenna can be remote mounted with a Garmin 010-11825-10 extension cable (8 ft.), or you can use a SMA to BNC adapter and run a standard BNC coax cable to a blade or dipole style transponder antenna. It works best to mount this antenna on the bottom of the aircraft since the ground stations are below, but other locations can also work well. As mentioned above, the unit comes with a clip-in mount to support remote mounting. You will also need a Garmin 010-10157-00 GA25 MCX GPS antenna (8 ft RG174A/U cable) to remote the internal GPS antenna if your remote mounting location doesn't support receiving a GPS signal.
GDL39WithAntennaRemoved.jpg

2. Who may receive the special pricing for the GPS400W?
This special pricing is currently only available for new and present G3X customers.

3. How long will the GPS400W be sold and supported?
At this time, we are not life-limited for the production (or future support) of the GPS 400W. Expect both to continue for many years to come.

4. If I install a G3X system with a GDL39 (ADS-B In), GTX23ES (ADS-B Out), and GPS400W (certified WAAS position source for GTX23ES), do I receive the traffic and weather benefits of a participating ADS-B aircraft?
Yes. As mentioned in other posts, the software in the GTX23ES and GPS400W will require updating later this year to be fully "V2" ADS-B compliant for 2020, but you will immediately receive the benefits of ADS-B traffic and weather with the current "V1" software.

5. If I have an Aera 5XX or GPSMAP 69X providing NMEA Out (Fast or Slow) to an external autopilot or other device, won't I lose that capability if I connect the GDL39 to the serial port on the portable GPS?
No. When you have a GDL39 connected to the serial port of one these units and configured for Garmin Data Transfer (which is required for the GDL39), a second serial port configuration option will be presented to allow you to configure a second function for the port of NMEA Out (Fast or Slow). The GDL39 will forward this NMEA data out a second serial port on the bare wire cable to the external device. This setup will be explained in the Pilot's Guides for these GPS products.

Last edited:
Old news, Stein beat you to it:D

At least the GDL 39.....

But, what do you expect for only $.02??

Last edited:
Steve,

On the GTX-23ES xponder, what are Garmin's plans for making it meet the version2/tso-166b standard required for the 2020 mandate? Also when and how do you expect Garmin will bring the panel mount navigators up to the standards required for ADS-B position sources.

Exciting stuff! Can't wait to hear the next announcement!

Edit, found the answer to some of the questions on the Garmin News, still curious on the GPS's:

"New certification for the GTX 330/33 ES meets ADS-B compliance standards
Garmin also announced that it expects to receive the FAA’s TSO-C166b authorization for the GTX 330 and GTX 33 transponders with Extended Squitter (ES) transmission capabilities. The new certification allows these Mode-S transponders to meet current ADS-B compliance standards as a certified ADS-B Out solution, when paired with a compatible WAAS position source. The GTX 330/33 ES broadcasts on the 1090 MHz ADS-B frequency, making this an ideal solution for aircraft that fly at any altitude or outside of the U.S. where it will be required to broadcast on the 1090 frequency band. For experimental aircraft equipped with G3X, the GTX 23 ES is also available as an affordable path to compliance.

This is also an easy and affordable option for any aircraft already equipped with a GTX 330, GTX 33 or GTX 23 series transponder. Customers with a standard GTX 330/33 transponder can purchase an ES upgrade from a Garmin Authorized dealer for $1,200, available in Q4 2012. For aircraft owners that already have a GTX 330 ES, GTX 33 ES or a GTX 23 ES, a free update will be available through Garmin Authorized Dealers. Garmin expects to receive the new Technical Standard Orders (TSO) certification in Q4 2012. The GTX 330 ES and GTX 33 ES are expected to receive the FAA’s Approved Model List Supplemental Type Certification (AML STC) in Q4 2012 and it will be approved on a broad model list covering most Part 23 fixed-wing aircraft."

Last edited:
GDU-375

I've got a GDU-375 but it is not set up as a G3X (I'm using it as a "panel mount" 696). Does any of this (particularly the GPS-400W) work with a "plain" GDU-375?

Thanks!

"when and how do you expect Garmin will bring the panel mount navigators up to the standards required for ADS-B position sources."

Brian,

Now that the dust has settled on the "V2" ADS-B Out requirements, Garmin is working to update and re-certify the software in transponders and IFR navigators to be compliant.

New software is planned to be available later this year. Information on upgrading will be provided at that time.

Note, however, that you can still receive most of the benefits of ADS-B air-to-air and ground uplinked traffic (and of course weather) with the present software. You just won't be 2020 compliant until the software in these units has been upgraded.

Dan,

The standalone GDU 375 will indeed work with a GDL39 to receive and display traffic and weather. It will also interface to a GPS400W and show the flight plan entered into that unit, but can't be used to fly IFR (without additional equipment) since it doesn't have an HSI to provide the required navigation guidance like the PFD on a G3X system.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
The GPS400W is a GNS430W with the comm and nav section stripped out; it will not be sold after this year. Unfortunately.

$4K for a G400 represents a huge price reduction. I'll be they sell a ton of them, enough to keep them in production for a while longer.

Will they sell at that price to non G3X people?

Steve,

The vendors are saying selling the GDL39 ADSB as compliant with the 396/496 as well. Is that true? You didn't mention it. Thanks

If you go to the site Stein linked in his post on the units, then click the tab for "Compatible devices" there is a chart that explains it.

As I recall, the 496 will show traffic, but not weather.

$4K for a G400 represents a huge price reduction. I'll be they sell a ton of them, enough to keep them in production for a while longer.

Will they sell at that price to non G3X people?

As I understand it, since Garmin produces the GPS themselves they can keep these going for a long while. I'm not 100% certain on availbility to whom, so I'll let the Garmin boys comment on that or wait until OSH! :)

Cheers,
Stein

Stein (and all),

I just got this from Steve:

2. Who may receive the special pricing for the GPS400W?
This special pricing is currently only available for new and present G3X customers.

3. How long will the GPS400W be sold and supported?
At this time, we are not life-limited for the production (or future support) of the GPS 400W. Expect both to continue for many years to come.

I had checked yesterday at a reseller and their website indicated the GPS400W would be discontinued after this year. I sure would like to get this pricing for those of us that have AFS,Dynon, or GRT installed. But if I need to replace my AFS hardware it isn't anywhere near as attractive. And it is too bad, because I have an empty slot all prewired for a 430/420/400. I could use it right now.

I consider this unfair competition. Garmin is pretty much the sole source for TSO approved GPS for GA. It's like they're willing to take a loss on the 400W to drive the other EFIS makers out of business. Is this legal? Can they offer a box to some people for one price, but refuse to sell it to others for the same price?

Not unlike when TCM got the FAA to issue an AD for non VAR cranks, then offered to rebuild engines with no charge for a new crank. Drove some independent overhaulers out of the business.

This stuff happens all the time all over the place in just about every type of business you can think of.

FAQs
1. Can the GDL39 antenna(s) be remote mounted?
Yes, the top mounted antenna uses an SMA connector. This antenna can be remote mounted with a Garmin 010-11825-10 extension cable (8 ft.), or you can use a SMA to BNC adapter and run a standard BNC coax cable to a blade or dipole style transponder antenna. It works best to mount this antenna on the bottom of the aircraft since the ground stations are below, but other locations can also work well. As mentioned above, the unit comes with a clip-in mount to support remote mounting. You will also need a Garmin 010-10157-00 GA25 MCX GPS antenna (8 ft RG174A/U cable) to remote the internal GPS antenna if your remote mounting location doesn't support receiving a GPS signal..

Garmin Expert - so if I currently have a standalone GDU375 only using it for map and XM weather, I can add the GDL39 and get WX and traffic? Also, I get GPS data using a GA57x antenna, can I get rid of that and use the GDL39 to give my GDU375 GPS position?

Thanks,

Use GDL39 with GDU375 MFD?

Hello John,

Yes, you may attach the GDL39 to a serial port on the GDU375 (port 1 or 2) and use it to receive ADS-B traffic and weather.

The new GDU software has three selections for weather: Auto, XM, or GDL FIS-B.

In the Auto mode the GDU will prefer XM over FIS-B when both or available, but you can manually force it to use XM or FIS-B if you have a preference for one over the other. Using XM for weather while using the GDL39 for just traffic is supported if that is your preference.

While it is true that the GDL39 has an internal GPS that is important to its operation, it is not a replacement for the GPS built into your GDU375 display, so please keep your existing antenna. Besides, it is nice to be able to optionally power or remove the GDL39 and not affect the operation of the GDU375.

Thanks for your interest,
Steve

With a 696, do I get to keep my XM tunes?
and another thing:
Can I buy one of these at the Garmin both at Osh
and is it a plug and play? Will I be able to see traffic on my way home that evening?

Last edited:
With a 696, do I get to keep my XM tunes?
and another thing:
Can I buy one of these at the Garmin both at Osh
and is it a plug and play? Will I be able to see traffic on my way home that evening?

Hello Alton,

XM radio is not affected by adding the GDL39 to any product.

Garmin doesn't sell products directly, but there should be many places at Oshkosh where you can purchase one. We don't want to alarm anyone, but there is a limited supply at this point and we see them for sale online already, so you might want to shop early if you want to be assured of flying home with one.

It is very plug-n-play with the 695/696 cable that comes with the GDL39 package you will need (Garmin P/N 010-11689-01). This cable plugs into the side of the 696 and then has connectors to attach both the GXM40 XM receiver and the GDL39. A single cigarette lighter adapter plug powers everything.

You will need a software update for the 696 to use the GDL39, which you will be able to download online next week, but we will also be providing those free software updates at our G3X tent at Oshkosh for anyone that comes by with their portable GPS. We look forward to seeing those smiling faces coming in for their software upgrades! :)

Steve

Can I get a 796 cable version next week or will the Bluetooth firmware for the 796 be ready?

Can I get a 796 cable version next week or will the Bluetooth firmware for the 796 be ready?

Hello Brian,

As much as we wanted to be able to offer the BT connection between the GDL39 and the Aera 795/796 for this initial release, we just weren't able to get the development and testing to a point where it was ready for customers.

The Garmin P/N for the GDL39 with an Aera 795/796 cable is 010-11689-05. Reducing cables is nice, but when you take any length trip you are going to want the GDL39 and the Aera 796 running on aircraft power instead of battery anyway, so that cable will probably come in handy.

Hope to see you at Oshkosh,
Steve

G3 Expert

Steve,
Are you limited to displaying the GDL 39 weather and traffic only on the MFD, such as is the case with XM, or does it populate on all three (if you have them) displays?
Bill

Steve,
Are you limited to displaying the GDL 39 weather and traffic only on the MFD, such as is the case with XM, or does it populate on all three (if you have them) displays?
Bill

My personal wish is ADS-B input from some of the new receivers.

Hi Bill,

We took the liberty of pulling this second quote from your posting back in May. You got your wish!

GDL39 FIS-B weather is indeed handled like XM weather and is shown on the MFD. GDL39 Traffic is similarly handled like TIS-A and GTS800 traffic and is shown on the map, traffic page, and on the PFD when operating with synthetic vision enabled.

Thanks,
Steve

Hello Brian,

As much as we wanted to be able to offer the BT connection between the GDL39 and the Aera 795/796 for this initial release, we just weren't able to get the development and testing to a point where it was ready for customers.

The Garmin P/N for the GDL39 with an Aera 795/796 cable is 010-11689-05. Reducing cables is nice, but when you take any length trip you are going to want the GDL39 and the Aera 796 running on aircraft power instead of battery anyway, so that cable will probably come in handy.

Hope to see you at Oshkosh,
Steve

Hello Steve,

Thanks for the reply.

I have another question....since I have my 796 hardwired into my ship with the bare wire cable for the 796, what options do I have for connecting up the GDL39 to that setup? I assume the cable you mention above is for a portable type install.

Ok, with a G3X dual screen system (370 & 375), how many GPS antennas do I need to find a place to mount with the GPS400W/GDL39/GTX23ES combo, remote mounting the GDL39 and using a dipole ant on the bottom of the plane? I'll use an SL30+40 combo for comm/nav/ils.

If I'm going to ditch XM WX for ADS-B, is there any reason to install an XM antenna? Could I still run XM Music and have ADS-B the sole source for all other info?

Hello Steve,

Thanks for the reply.

I have another question....since I have my 796 hardwired into my ship with the bare wire cable for the 796, what options do I have for connecting up the GDL39 to that setup? I assume the cable you mention above is for a portable type install.

Hello Brian,

We should have caught that since we knew you had a hard wired Aera 796 installation.

The various portable unit Pilot's Guides are going to show how to use the bare wire GDL39 package (Garmin P/N 010-11689-06 - same as G3X) to connect the RS-232 interface on the GDL39 bare wire cable to the RS-232 interface on the portable bare wire cable. If you need any advance information, just let me know.

In summary, anyone using any of the supported products with a bare wire installation should purchase the 010-11689-06 package which includes the GDL39 bare wire cable needed to connect to the bare wire cable already in use with your panel installed portable.

Of course there is also an option to purchase the portable GPS specific cable with cigarette lighter adapter if you also want the option of being able to use the GDL39 and portable in other airplanes.

Thanks,
Steve

In summary, anyone using any of the supported products with a bare wire installation should purchase the 010-11689-06 package which includes the GDL39 bare wire cable needed to connect to the bare wire cable already in use with your panel installed portable.
Steve,
I have some similar questions as others have voiced concerning connection to my existing 695. However, as similar as my question(s) may be I have not read any information yet on my particular issue.

I have a 695 panel mounted with the Zaon XRX traffic display hardwired to the 695 with the appropriate cable. The Zaon and 695 are powered by the ship's power and the XRX feeds traffic data to the 695. The 695 audio function is fed to a PM3000 intercom for audio traffic alarms.

So given this setup could I continue using the XRX and the GDL39 together on the 695? Would the 695 receive traffic from both units and display correctly? If I can connect both the XRX and the GDL39 how would that cabling function? Is there a cable that would allow both the XRX and the GDL39 to be powered by ship's power and be connected to the 695 at the same time?

One last question, will the GDL39 work with the Foreflight app on the iPad or must I use the Garmin Pilot app?

Thanks,

Ok, with a G3X dual screen system (370 & 375), how many GPS antennas do I need to find a place to mount with the GPS400W/GDL39/GTX23ES combo, remote mounting the GDL39 and using a dipole ant on the bottom of the plane? I'll use an SL30+40 combo for comm/nav/ils.

If I'm going to ditch XM WX for ADS-B, is there any reason to install an XM antenna? Could I still run XM Music and have ADS-B the sole source for all other info?

Hi Sig600,

Minimum GPS antennas (considering you plan to remote mount the GDL39)
1 for one of the G3X displays (a 2nd is optional)
1 for the GPS400W
1 for the GDL39 GPS

Yes, you can still run XM music and have the GDL39 ADS-B In cover the traffic and weather, but you would have to keep the XM antenna (for the music).

Plastic airplane guys sure have it easy. I have XM and GPS antennas and even a complete GDL39 with antennas attached located in the nose of this G3X plane and I have received ADS-B ground stations over 140 nm away and always have great GPS and XM reception.:)

N53SNose.JPG

Steve

Steve,
I have a 695 panel mounted with the Zaon XRX traffic display hardwired to the 695 with the appropriate cable. The Zaon and 695 are powered by the ship's power and the XRX feeds traffic data to the 695. The 695 audio function is fed to a PM3000 intercom for audio traffic alarms.

So given this setup could I continue using the XRX and the GDL39 together on the 695? Would the 695 receive traffic from both units and display correctly? If I can connect both the XRX and the GDL39 how would that cabling function? Is there a cable that would allow both the XRX and the GDL39 to be powered by ship's power and be connected to the 695 at the same time?

One last question, will the GDL39 work with the Foreflight app on the iPad or must I use the Garmin Pilot app?

Thanks,

Hello Steve,

The questions keep getting harder, but we haven't run out of answers. :)

It is easy to connect lots of serial devices (like the Zaon) to G3X systems since each G3X display has 3 serial ports. Since the 696 has only one serial port, the story gets a little more complicated.

The GDL39 has 2 serial ports. The first is used to communicate bi-directionally with the display device and provide the normal traffic and weather data. The second serial port is used to help us recover some of the functionality lost for the single serial port portable when the GDL39 was connected to that single serial port.

As mentioned in FAQ list on the first posting in this thread, we currently have 2nd serial port function support for NMEA Out (Fast or Slow). This gets a large group of devices previously connected to the 696 serial port going again (like autopilots), but doesn't provide a connection for devices like the Zaon or even an SL30/40.

We plan to expand on the choices available for this second serial port function, but don't have a firm date for this. At this point you would lose Zaon support if you connect the GDL39 to the single serial port on the 696, but we hope to add support back in for the Zaon (and other TIS-A compatible products like the GTX330) in the future.

Since the Aera 795/796 has 2 serial ports, you could connect a GDL39 to one port and a TIS-A device like the Xaon to the second port and have a choice of traffic systems.

One additional piece of information related to the Zaon. TIS-A devices like the GTX330 change traffic status as you fly in/out of TIS-A coverage, so we are able to allow the display to auto-switch to TIS-A when in TIS-A coverage and back to ADS-B when you fly out of the TIS-A service area. The Zaon, however, is always reporting it is in a traffic service area, so the only way we will auto-switch over to ADS-B traffic is if you turn off the Zaon. Just something to keep in mind.

Garmin Pilot is currently the only tablet/phone app that is able to use the GDL39 (via BlueTooth connection), and it does a nice job of displaying this traffic and weather information.

Let me know if I missed something, but since your 696 doesn't currently support both GDL39 and the Zaon at the same time, I skipped the details about how you would connect these.

Steve

Last edited:
Garmin is pleased to share some of our Oshkosh announcements with our portable and experimental aviation customers on VAF.

GPS400W IFR Navigator for G3X

As everyone is no doubt aware, the FAA is currently requiring a certified WAAS GPS source for ADS-B Out. To complete our ADS-B In/Out capability for G3X, we wanted a more affordable way for customers to provide that data to the GTX23ES extended squitter Mode S transponder ? and this is it.

G3X customers can now purchase a GPS400W IFR navigator for $3,995 street price and not only will they have the required position source for ADS-B Out, they can also fly IFR enroute and thousands of LNAV, LNAV+V, LNAV/VNAV, and LPV approaches to make this an exceptional value.

ADS-B In/Out Solution for G3X

With G3X you can start small with a complete single display system for as low as $5,995 or a complete dual display system for as low as $8,570 and then add on affordable components to achieve full ADS-B In/Out capability and even IFR navigation/approach capability.

Add GDL39 ADS-B traffic and weather receiver: $799
Add GTX23ES Mode S transponder with 1090 ES ADS-B Out: $2,199
Add GPS400W IFR navigator for GTX23ES position source and IFR approaches: $3,995

Equipping for the ADS-B mandate and receiving the benefits of free ADS-B traffic and weather couldn?t be simpler. With G3X and the GTX23ES you have a single 1090 MHz extended squitter transmitter and you enter your transponder code and flight ID right through the PFD.

P.S. Stay tuned - another announcement coming later this week! :)
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I'm sure the GPS400W is a fine unit, but as a VFR pilot the only use that I would have for it is it's ability to be used as a position source to comply with the ADS-B "out" regulations. Besides that, I would have to rework my entire panal just to accommodate it. So, with all that in mind, it still looks like it's going to cost thousands of dollars and a lot of work to truly be 2020 ADS-B compliant. Is there anything else on the horizon that's similar to the GDL39 that will be plug and play for my G3X system that will make me ADS-B "out" compliant?
Thanks,

Well, I'm sure the GPS400W is a fine unit, but as a VFR pilot the only use that I would have for it is it's ability to be used as a position source to comply with the ADS-B "out" regulations. Besides that, I would have to rework my entire panal just to accommodate it. So, with all that in mind, it still looks like it's going to cost thousands of dollars and a lot of work to truly be 2020 ADS-B compliant. Is there anything else on the horizon that's similar to the GDL39 that will be plug and play for my G3X system that will make me ADS-B "out" compliant?
Thanks,

Hello Mark33,

Great comment. Many in the industry share your concerns with the cost of equipping VFR aircraft to meet the 2020 mandate.

While it is technically possible for us to send position data from our excellent built-in G3X WAAS GPS(s) to the GTX23ES transponder, it is our understanding that FAR 91.227 doesn't permit this - perhaps not now, and certainly not in 2020.

We notice that another vendor is stating that a certified position source is not required. We will try to learn more about this and determine if there are indeed allowances for this that have not been visible to all of us that have studied the FARs carefully with regard to the ADS-B mandate.

Thanks,
Steve

Hello Mark33,

Great comment. Many in the industry share your concerns with the cost of equipping VFR aircraft to meet the 2020 mandate.

While it is technically possible for us to send position data from our excellent built-in G3X WAAS GPS(s) to the GTX23ES transponder, it is our understanding that FAR 91.227 doesn't permit this - perhaps not now, and certainly not in 2020.

We notice that another vendor is stating that a certified position source is not required. We will try to learn more about this and determine if there are indeed allowances for this that have not been visible to all of us that have studied the FARs carefully with regard to the ADS-B mandate.

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks Steve for your reply. I have a three screen G3X system along with the GTX23ES mode "S" transponder; so I'm loaded for bear....now all I need is easy to install, cost effective way to transmit my position to be fully ADS-B "out" compliant. Also, can the other "certified" GPS units such as the 430/530 and 650/750 be used as the position source? The reason I ask is that when the time comes, and if no one has came out with a viable solution for us VFR pilots, and if I have to re-work my panel anyway to accommodate another GPS, I would probably install a 650. Even though it cost more than twice as much as the 400W, I think the utility the 650 brings with it along with the modern touch screen design and the added value that it would also bring to airplane in general, it's actually a better value than the 400W....but hopefully you guys will come out with a better option for us VFR pilots to be compliant.
Thanks again,
Mark

Repost

Steve,
I have some similar questions as others have voiced concerning connection to my existing 695. However, as similar as my question(s) may be I have not read any information yet on my particular issue.

Thanks,
Steve, not sure you saw my post earlier. Can you comment on my questions?

Thanks Steve for your reply. I have a three screen G3X system along with the GTX23ES mode "S" transponder; so I'm loaded for bear....now all I need is easy to install, cost effective way to transmit my position to be fully ADS-B "out" compliant. Also, can the other "certified" GPS units such as the 430/530 and 650/750 be used as the position source? The reason I ask is that when the time comes, and if no one has came out with a viable solution for us VFR pilots, and if I have to re-work my panel anyway to accommodate another GPS, I would probably install a 650. Even though it cost more than twice as much as the 400W, I think the utility the 650 brings with it along with the modern touch screen design and the added value that it would also bring to airplane in general, it's actually a better value than the 400W....but hopefully you guys will come out with a better option for us VFR pilots to be compliant.
Thanks again,
Mark

Hello Mark,

You are indeed loaded for bear!

Sorry that we didn't make it clear that the GTN 650/750 series of navigators (along with GNS 430W/530W units) can also be connected to the GTX23ES to make your system 2020 compliant. Any of those will work in addition to the GPS 400W. The G3X installation manual shows how to connect the GTN series navigators to this system.

There have been many thread discussions on VAF about the desire for a low cost IFR navigator, and the GPS 400W $3,995 pricing was created to address that need, but the newer GTN series touch screen navigators are very popular for good reason.

Let us know if you have additional questions,
Steve

Let me know if I missed something, but since your 696 doesn't currently support both GDL39 and the Zaon at the same time, I skipped the details about how you would connect these.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am interested in knowing some details on how the Zaon and the GDL39 could work on the 695 together. Can both devices be wired to the one serial port in parallel and I would have to turn off the Zaon if I wanted traffic from the ADS-B? If this is the case, would the weather stream to the 695 from the ADS-B at the same time the traffic would be coming into the 695 from the Zaon?

I do have quite a few questions on the functionality and configuration of this arrangement but if it is too detailed to discuss on this thread I understand. I will be at OSH and plan to have these discussions with whomever is available at the Garmin booth.

Maybe we can get a briefing at Osh

I am getting a headache :confused: trying to figure out the various options, pricing, panel upgrades etc with all this. I am sure I would not be alone if we could organize some form of primer/briefing at Osh for us RV guys who are looking to :
1. Be legal
2. Fly VFR
3. Currently have XM weather but want to save money (to buy more gas to go places)
4. Would like traffic
4. Assess affordable options for panel/portable upgrades/enhancements for those of us with legacy panels (In my case D100/120/HS34/ADI II/496 etc)

There will be a bunch of us at Osh, my betting is any objective briefing would be oversubscribed.
My current plan is to follow Steve around:D

I am getting a headache :confused: trying to figure out the various options, pricing, panel upgrades etc with all this. I am sure I would not be alone if we could organize some form of primer/briefing at Osh for us RV guys........There will be a bunch of us at Osh, my betting is any objective briefing would be oversubscribed........My current plan is to follow Steve around:D

Paul Dye and myself have a forum for this very topic during the week. It's on Thursday at 1:00, and yes it's usually pretty packed full. We usually spend an hour discussing the above topics.

You can also spend time at our booth playing with all of the goodies right next to each other if you'd like, and I know various mfgr's are also having some of their own presentations.

Cheers,
Stein

I am getting a headache :confused: trying to figure out the various options, pricing, panel upgrades etc with all this. I am sure I would not be alone if we could organize some form of primer/briefing at Osh for us RV guys who are looking to :
1. Be legal
2. Fly VFR
3. Currently have XM weather but want to save money (to buy more gas to go places)
4. Would like traffic
4. Assess affordable options for panel/portable upgrades/enhancements for those of us with legacy panels (In my case D100/120/HS34/ADI II/496 etc)

There will be a bunch of us at Osh, my betting is any objective briefing would be oversubscribed.
My current plan is to follow Steve around:D

Hi Dave,

You are welcome to follow me around, and if you come through KC on your way to Oshkosh from Tulsa on Sunday you can start by following my Long-EZ up there (if you throttle your RV back) :), but there might be more value to attending our "ADS-B Academy: Portables Solution (GDL39)" every day at 1:00 in Garmin Seminar Tent #1 just north of Hangar D.

See you there,
Steve

FIS-B Weather (part 1 of 2)

We've received some questions about what FIS-B weather data you get from the GDL 39, what it looks like on the display, and how it compares to XM weather data. So, I thought I'd post a few screenshots that I took this morning. These are from a G3X system, but the GPSmap 695/696 and aera 5xx/7xx depictions of FIS-B weather are very similar.

Here's the Data Link Information page showing signal strength and weather timestamps:

datalink_info.jpg

NEXRAD radar from FIS-B is a little different from what you are used to if you've used XM weather data before. Within a few hundred miles around your aircraft position you get what's referred to as Regional radar data, which updates every few minutes and has a detail level comparable to what you get with XM. Then there is a separate set of lower-resolution CONUS radar data which covers the entire lower 48 states

and typically updates every 15 minutes. So as you fly along you usually have a "bubble" of high-resolution radar data around your position, with lower-resolution data for the rest of the country. On the map page this data is combined into a single unified picture:

radar_map.jpg
fisb_nexrad2.jpg

On the dedicated weather page you can see the same combined NEXRAD radar image, or you can choose to see only the Regional or CONUS data separately. Areas of no radar coverage are indicated in a distinct color, so you can see where the boundary of radar coverage lies:

radar_regional.jpg
radar_conus.jpg

METARs are displayed on the map, color-coded to flight conditions. You can view the METAR and TAF data for any airport in either the original raw form, or in the more friendly human-readable form. Looks like Bob Collins is enjoying a cool morning today:

metar_flags.jpg
metar_taf.jpg

PIREPs are also displayed in both raw-text and human-readable form:

pirep.jpg

The map and weather pages display both AIRMETs and SIGMETs in a graphical form, and you can also read the AIRMET/SIGMET bulletin text:

sigmet.jpg
sigmet_text.jpg

(Continued in next post...)

Last edited:
FIS-B weather (part 2 of 2)

(Continued from previous post...)

Winds aloft data should look familiar if you have used XM weather before. One unique thing about FIS-B data is that we now get temperatures aloft too. For you turbine drivers, temps up in the flight levels are depicted along with difference from ISA:

winds.jpg
temps.jpg

NOTAM data is another unique feature of FIS-B weather that hasn't so far been available from XM. NOTAMS are shown for the airport of your choice, and are decoded into plain text. Looks like they're tearing up the runway at KIXD:

notam.jpg
20120716_122728.jpg

FIS-B data includes TFRs, which are shown in both graphical and text form.

tfr1.jpg
tfr1_text.jpg

I'm glad there are so many VIPs travelling around the country this summer, it makes for a nice demo of FIS-B TFRs. Also notice that FIS-B TFRs include the blanket sports stadium TFR and power plant advisory.

tfr2.jpg
tfr3.jpg

Hope that helps you get a better idea of all the great free weather data you can have with the GDL 39 and compatible Garmin portable, the G3X system, or the Garmin Pilot app. Any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Or, stop by and say hello next week at Oshkosh! I'll be the one sweating in the tent outside Hangar D. :)

- Matt

See you at the briefings

Leaving Thursday so cannot do the 1:00:(
Will come by the Steinair booth and do the Garmin 1PM in the tent.
Hope to leave with some idea of what to do next:)

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am interested in knowing some details on how the Zaon and the GDL39 could work on the 695 together. Can both devices be wired to the one serial port in parallel and I would have to turn off the Zaon if I wanted traffic from the ADS-B? If this is the case, would the weather stream to the 695 from the ADS-B at the same time the traffic would be coming into the 695 from the Zaon?

I do have quite a few questions on the functionality and configuration of this arrangement but if it is too detailed to discuss on this thread I understand. I will be at OSH and plan to have these discussions with whomever is available at the Garmin booth.

Hi Steve,

Sorry, but it probably wouldn't work to parallel wire the Zaon and GDL39 onto the same port and just turn one off or the other. Even if the electrical wiring of the unpowered unit didn't interfere with the powered unit (or you used a switch), you would need to go into the interface page and change the interface selection each time you did this so it wouldn't be convenient.

We look forward to seeing you at Oshkosh and answering any remaining questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Why is the GDL39 a dual band receiver?

We receive a lot of questions asking why the GDL39 is dual band. It obviously would have been simpler to make this unit single band (978 MHz receive only), but we chose instead to develop a dual band unit that can receive on both 978 MHz and 1090 MHz. Perhaps this discussion will help everyone understand why Garmin chose to develop a dual band ADS-B receiver and the advantages of such a device.

Some Basics of ADS-B
In the U.S., aircraft transmitting ADS-B Out data are required to transmit this data on 1090 MHz in class A airspace (above 18,000 ft), and may transmit on either 1090 MHz or 978 MHz in all other airspace.

Simply stated, each aircraft is transmitting ADS-B Out data on one of these two frequencies, so the U.S. system (unlike Europe) is a dual frequency system.

So how do single band 978 MHz ADS-B receivers receive any 1090 MHz traffic data?
They get help from the ADS-B ground stations.

ADS-B Out data sent from the aircraft to the ground station identifies the type of ADS-B receiver (978 MHz, and/or 1090 MHz, or None) that is onboard the aircraft.

If a ground station is serving an aircraft that only has 978 MHz receive capability, it helps that aircraft complete the traffic picture by re-broadcasting any 1090 MHz ADS-B data received from aircraft in the vicinity of that aircraft on the 978 MHz link. This is called ADS-R (re-broadcast) data.

So far, so good. As long as an aircraft with a 978 MHz only receiver is able to both transmit to and receive from a ground station, the traffic picture can be fairly complete. There is also the TIS-B component that requires help from the ground station, but both single and dual band receiver systems are equal in that regard.

So when are single band 978 MHz receivers not as good as dual band receivers?
In the real world.

Aircraft can receive data from ADS-B ground stations over great distances, but only when the station is within line-of-site. Terrain, distance, and altitude (among other things) affect line-of-sight and largely determine when an aircraft is able to communicate with a ground station.

It is common for aircraft on the ground at an airport to not be able to communicate with a ground station (unless one is located there), and each aircraft will have to reach an altitude above the airport before communication is established with one or more ground stations.

Remember also that ground stations only transmit traffic data to an area that contains a known participating aircraft with a need for that data. If a ground station hasn?t ?heard? from a 978 MHz receive only aircraft needing 1090 MHz data re-broadcast to it, it will not be sent for that area.

Once a descending aircraft gets below the line-of-sight altitude for the nearby ground station(s), it is on its own to receive air-to-air traffic over 978 MHz and/or 1090 MHz. Aircraft with only a single band 978 MHz only receiver will only be able to ?hear? aircraft air-to-air transmitting on 978 MHz, so they are at a serious disadvantage when they descend to a point where they are no longer getting help from a ground station.

An aircraft with a dual band receiver, on the other hand, will continue to receive air-to-air data from ALL other ADS-B Out aircraft in the area all the way to the ground.

As we get closer to 2020 and more aircraft are equipped with ADS-B Out, the advantages of a dual band receiver are even more obvious.

When all or most aircraft have ADS-B Out, the dual band receiver can operate totally independent of a ground station because it continues to receive all traffic in its vicinity all the time. This is also important in areas of the U.S. where there is no ground station coverage even at significant altitude above the ground. The dual band receiver will ?see? both types of ADS-B Out traffic nearby, while the single band 978 MHz only receiver will always be ?blind? to 1090 MHz traffic.

When you can own a no-compromise dual band GDL39 ADS-B receiver for $799, we hope the choice is clear.

Thanks,
Steve

Lower Prices for Aviation Databases

Here is the additional announcement we promised.

Lower Prices for Aviation Databases

We are very sensitive to the fact that sport aviation pilots like to keep their re-occurring costs low. We are pleased to announce that Garmin is now offering U.S. FAA AeroNav navigation data (in addition to Jeppesen) for G3X and many of our portable products at attractive prices.

An annual subscription ?U.S. Mini? database bundle that includes AeroNav navigation data, obstacle data, and terrain data is only $99.99.

An annual subscription ?U.S. Lite? database bundle that includes everything in the ?U.S. Mini? bundle plus U.S. SafeTaxi, U.S. Airport Directory, and geo-referenced U.S. FliteCharts is only $249.99.

This bundle provides 100% coverage of all six databases used within G3X which we believe is the lowest-cost US data package with geo-referenced charting currently available on any portable GPS or experimental glass cockpit system.

We expect changes to the FlyGarmin.COM website to be complete before/during Oshkosh to support purchasing these new database bundles. You can purchase updates for G3X and GPSMAP 695/696 now. Please visit our website for details. New Database Prices for G3X and Portables.

Thanks again to all our great customers for their support,
Garmin Portable and Experimental Aviation Team

New Map Pricing

Looking at the price list, if I have a G3X system with a GTN650 and want the minimum subscription to fly IFR GPS approches (NavData?) It looks like I would still need the PilotPak Standard for $800+ even if I don't care about sectionals, approch plates, safe-taxi or anything else.

From what I could tell VFR pricing now looks great, even basic IFR is still expensive...

Hopefully I am wrong, but that is how I am reading it.

Back