What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cracked canopy repair

firemanken

I'm New Here
My partner and I purchased a built RV6A 7 years ago and have enjoyed it with no problems in that time.
Now we have encountered our first big problem! When we were last at the hanger we found a CRACK in the canopy. We have a slider, the crack runs behind our heads in center of canopy. The crack runs approximately 8" on each side of the center metal strip.
Researching this as best we could, we understand this happens quite frequently in RV's.
We would like to have it repaired, (even if it leaves a scar)
My question , can we have it repaired locally (Ohio) or if that is not possible , where can we find step by step instructions on how we can repair it using the proper products.
Have been grounded for 2 weeks now. :-(
Thanks for any help, firemanken. (Retired now so I guess I'm X- firemanken)
RV6A bought built 10/2010

Canopy Repair

Firemanken,
I had a similar crack in my canopy back in 2011. I repaired the crack and posted the information on what I did here on VAF, just search for canopy crack. The links to the pictures no longer work. They are now on Google Photos here: https://goo.gl/photos/G3bErwBwVy3XSSLp8

The Repair is holding up just fine. I do plan on replacing the canopy someday but just have not done it yet. Other than looking like a Frankenstein scar :eek: when standing on the wing, I hardly notice it anymore. :)

You could call the company that made the canopy for Vans Aircraft (Airplane Plastics) - in Tipp City, OH and get their advice:

Phone: 937-669-2677
Address: 9785 Julie Ct.
Tipp City, OH 45371
8a.m.-4p.m. Mon-Fri
Airplaneplastics.com

You will probably need to start with stop-drilling each end of the crack or cracks with a plexiglass drill bit. If done properly, and as long as the crack isn't a gaping crater, you should be able to fly it. I have two small cracks in my canopy on my RV4 that we're stop drilled by the previous owner 9 years ago and have held up fine. Yours, being on top of the canopy, you'll probably want to fill the crack to prevent rain water leakage while parked outside, and that's where Plane Plastics can help. You may even be able to fly it over to them (after its stop drilled), and have them seal it.

I have also called LP Aero Plastics in Pennsylvania for canopy installation advice when I was building my RV6. Even though it wasn't their product, they were very helpful with advice. They can answer your questions about products that are safe to use on sealing plexi:
724-744-4448.

The theory is that you should be able to do an invisible repair by opening the crack up and introducing the correct 'perspex' product.

Look at what the warbird guys do on old glazing. I saw a repair on a shattered canopy repaired back to as new.

It will depend if you can get a suitable polish-able material that is compatible with the parent material. As previous guys said - contact the manufacturer and see what material they used. Sure smells like 'perspex' when you are cutting it.

Back