What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us a pic of your FINISHED RV-7/7A!!!

Smoking fast build for a standard build kit!! Nice looking plane... the RV7's look so good with that long sleek 320 cowl install. :) You will love the 320/Catto combo. Congrats

N954MM Before Paint

zjvvgm.jpg

N954MM after paint

After I taxied back in from a local flight, saw one of our company Falcon 2000's parked on the Atlantic ramp at MKC. Thought it would be a nice photo op. I've flown the Falcon since 2005, and what an outstanding aircraft. Just recently got typed in the Bombardier Challenger 350. Flying business jets is a great way to put food on the table, but for fun, nothing beats an RV!

n3b0v6.jpg

Smagnusum looks great!

If I recall correctly you showed me around your plane and explained how you made those awesome windscreen fairings, inspired me enough to try making my own!

Smagnusum looks great!

If I recall correctly you showed me around your plane and explained how you made those awesome windscreen fairings, inspired me enough to try making my own!

Hope the conclusion of the build was painless. Did you actually do the aluminum escutcheon? Don't remember when we met, was it at MKC? I'm thinking about marketing the paterns.

How did you make that windshield fairing?? Beautiful! Is that one piece? It curves in every dimension but time (though I'm sure there was a good deal of that involved as well). If you make, I would love to buy! Your plane is beautiful... very tasteful paint! Congrats! - Mark

Thanks Mark for your kind words. The faring is actuall composed of four pieces for the front of the windshield and two for the top. I saved my patterns and plan on making them available along with instructions. I am on the road for the next two weeks, but if you have time I will make a set of patterns for you to try when I get back. The fiberglass method will always provide a more smooth appearance, but I liked the idea of being able to replace the windshield in the event of damage (bird strike).

While fiberglass may give a smoother appearance, I personally think your fairings show real craftsmanship and look terriffic. The ability to replace plexi without tearing up the front of the plane makes it a slam dunk. Will look forward to connecting with you when you get back. - Mark

Finally Complete!

Picked up the RV this past weekend from Jonathan McCormick (Plane Schemer) in Gadsden Alabama. I could not be happier from the work that Jonathan did and his attention to detail is unlike anything I've ever experienced. Thanks also to Mo and the team at International Jets for turning Jonathan's plans into reality!

Best Regards,
Mark

10d8nmf.jpg

6pqp7r.jpg

The paint looks great! Jonathan's been a pleasure to work with for us as well, although I'm still at the drooling over pictures stage.

Received my airworthiness certificate from Mel yesterday.

Paint scheme is used with permission from Randy Pflanzer (f1rocket).

DSCN240020164_zpstbnjuafu.jpg

MyRV

Started construction August 2009 and finally received my Phase 2 Certificate of Airworthiness 7th Oct 2015.
RV-7A with IO-360-MIB with Dual P-Mags, VP-Pro, Full Classic Aero Design upholstery, Dual Dynons with OzRunways/PocketFMS mapping.
Interior and exterior design and colors by my talented wife. The Peacock Blue is a deep metallic that really shines in the bright light.
Flies like a dream!
Phase%202%20007%20sml_zpsre8jygpb.jpg

Phase%202%20008%20sml_zpskfezw9lv.jpg

Phase%202%20009%20sml_zpsb8yw4rez.jpg

Painting%20053%20sml_zpsb6tjvwvw.jpg

My sincerest thanks to all the VAF community for the invaluable information
and support!
Cheers from Downunder

Just got her wrapped

Finished the RV7 end of April and have 95 hours on the airframe. It was time to put colour to it.

DSC05993-2_zpsziwdboeb.jpg

DSC06015_zpsiz2ehyj6.jpg

i-P4Lr7MJ-XL.jpg

Finally painted after 3+ years and 300+ hours of flying. As my son put it, my plane is finally finished. Except, since it's a homebuilt and my eternal project, it isn't...

i-P4Lr7MJ-XL.jpg

Finally painted after 3+ years and 300+ hours of flying. As my son put it, my plane is finally finished. Except, since it's a homebuilt and my eternal project, it isn't...

that is nice! how did you layout the stripe so perfectly?

Very nice Lars!

Mine is still naked and just about the 200 hour mark. Regular life just keeps getting in the way.

Thanks Mark for your kind words. The faring is actuall composed of four pieces for the front of the windshield and two for the top. I saved my patterns and plan on making them available along with instructions. I am on the road for the next two weeks, but if you have time I will make a set of patterns for you to try when I get back. The fiberglass method will always provide a more smooth appearance, but I liked the idea of being able to replace the windshield in the event of damage (bird strike).

Hello;
I admire your perfect metal job on the windshield , I've a tip-up canopy and I'd like ,me too , know some more info maybe pic or instruction to build a so nice metal fairing.

thanks in advance
Regards

LC

that is nice! how did you layout the stripe so perfectly?

Very nice Lars!

Mine is still naked and just about the 200 hour mark. Regular life just keeps getting in the way.

Beautiful!

someday.......... :rolleyes:

Thanks, all. I found a photo of an RV-7 with a similar stripe that I used as inspiration. I gave it to the paint shop (Matthews Aviation in Yerington, NV) along with some sketches I'd made on the "official" drawings in the back of the RV-7 build instructions. I showed them beforehand a few spots where I knew I wanted the stripe to land, and they nailed it.

Kelly, it was painful to be away from my airplane, but the shop turned it around in 3 weeks. It actually wasn't too disruptive apart from the hit to my bank account.

Just got the final C of A paperwork back from the feds last week. The first passenger ride went to the "Boss". She approved it too...100%. :D

Bevan

vxp9cg.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Larry. It's the best picture I got but I gotta say it looks even better in real life and flies better than it looks. SOOO happy. "Keep pounding those rivets!"

It feels good to be able to say that.;)

Bevan

ZU-JRV

So on Friday 26 February 2016 I have put another RV7A in the air. It is a QB that someone no longer with us started (RIP) and I have finished it in 14 months.

The panel is dual Skyview and the engine is a Superior XP-IO-360 with a Hartzell CS at the sharp end.
JRV_01.jpg

JRV_02.jpg

No snags during the maiden flight and four further flights were done. As you can see it was quite hazy and a lot of low cloud around, but at least not as hot as during the previous few days. It flies straight and fast like any RV should :D. The paint scheme is based on a F86 sitting in Seattle in the Museum of Flight.

JRV_03.jpg

JRV_04.jpg

The RV GRIN :D
JRV_05.jpg

This is the sixth RV project for me. I wish the three owners many years of RV adventures.

Painted!

I am THRILLED to say our RV-7 is COMPLETE (at least mostly complete :D) now that she has a paint job. The fine folks at ArtCraft paint in Santa Maria, CA did a wonderful job turning our vision into reality!
First flight was in May 2015, which gave us a little over a year to work the kinks out before painting.
Build log updated with pictures of the painting process.

Side.png

Top.png

Last edited:
That looks nice, those swoopy lines are not an easy thing to do, I tried but aborted due to lack of an artistic hand. So, is she faster with that sleek paint?

Very nice! I plan to fly for a year before painting as well (and save up for a quality job).

That looks nice, those swoopy lines are not an easy thing to do, I tried but aborted due to lack of an artistic hand. So, is she faster with that sleek paint?

Tony, the layout artist and painter at ArtCraft, is a real pro! I'm amazed at how nice the curves are and how symmetrical both sides are.

Our TAS was the same (165KTAS) on the flight home as it was on the flight down, but I had my father with me, so I need to go fly solo at cruise alt to see if we gained any speed. I'm also looking forward to weighing it to see how much the paint added. ArtCraft estimated 15-18 lbs.

Last edited:
JRV_01.jpg

I like the panel! I'm planning on a very similar arrangement. Dual glass screens, ASI and ALT steam gages in the middle, along with radios, etc. below.

Have you had any issues with this setup?

So on Friday 26 February 2016 I have put another RV7A in the air. It is a QB that someone no longer with us started (RIP) and I have finished it in 14 months.

The panel is dual Skyview and the engine is a Superior XP-IO-360 with a Hartzell CS at the sharp end.
JRV_01.jpg

JRV_02.jpg

No snags during the maiden flight and four further flights were done. As you can see it was quite hazy and a lot of low cloud around, but at least not as hot as during the previous few days. It flies straight and fast like any RV should :D. The paint scheme is based on a F86 sitting in Seattle in the Museum of Flight.

JRV_03.jpg

JRV_04.jpg

JRV_05.jpg

This is the sixth RV project for me. I wish the three owners many years of RV adventures.

Man, I love this panel! Clean!

What size are those Dynon Skyviews? I have been considering 10" models but wasn't sure how much panel space they'd eat up.

JRV_01.jpg

JRV_02.jpg

JRV_03.jpg

JRV_04.jpg

JRV_05.jpg

Finshed! (mostly)

Haven't yet flown due to weather here in GA/SC. Had a great experience with Lewis Blackwell (DAR) out of Charleston, SC for the inspection and paperwork.

Planning to paint after phase I, wheel pants and a few minor tweaks.

WbAYbYAh.jpg

10" SV1000T
fsvUAOnh.jpg

Last edited:
What size are those Dynon Skyviews? I have been considering 10" models but wasn't sure how much panel space they'd eat up.

Those look to be 7-inchers; I was doing some layout with the 10-inch paper mock-ups, and there is no way you'll get that much space in the center area with 10-inchers.

Very nice panel!

Dynon Skyviews 10" models

WJB

Those are 10'' Skyviews...Look carefully at the picture and you will see that each screen has 3 screws per side to hold them in place...The 7'' in my -4 has only 2 per side...

Bruno

Ray,
What's under the hood? Do you have the SJ plenum to go with the cowl? My 6A has the SJ cowl and plenum - along with AFP fuel injection...I needed turbo vents to go LOP with that setup... Let me know if you have questions on that....

Back