What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone else with interesting neighbors?

docsuresh

Yesterday my neighbor and I pulled out our airplanes at about the same time to go fly. I sure live next to some big boys! :)

MyneighborandI.jpg

I do have an award winning Lancair in the hangar next to mine. However, more remarketable is the fact on my street in a residential area (i.e. not an airpark) there are two RV-10 builders and a flying RV-7.

At first when I started building, I got the typical responses from folks about building an aircraft in your garage. By the time the third one came around, it's kind of the neighborhood norm. Now that all three are at the airport, the kids who used to stop by occasionally (and their curious parents) ask about the status. They'll be ecstatic when the RV-10s start flying Young Eagles next year.

My most interesting "neighbor" is the lone remaining ag sprayer in the area - an older gentleman who still flies AgCats with PW 1340s. He is based about 3 miles away but he uses my farm as one of his transit paths to fields in the area. I'm still "that kid who runs outside at the sound of a round engine".

As for that Corsair pilot, I bet he envies your fuel burn :D

20080711-054523-1.jpg

Last edited:
My neighbor's wife got drunk, mounted a horse and tried to ride it in my pond..... at 3 am. :eek:

Does that count? ;)

Glad I am not the only one with visions of Lady Godiva in their head!

:D

We did have this turkey loitering around the flight school for a while.

Alpha One Turkey.JPG

:cool: CJ

Perfect

To quote Arthur Carlson, "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly", for those who remember WKRP :D

Glad I am not the only one with visions of Lady Godiva in their head!

:D

We did have this turkey loitering around the flight school for a while.

Alpha One Turkey.JPG

:cool: CJ

My hangar neighbor has an RV-10, just as I do - and, they're consecutive builder numbers (and that is pure coincidence!).

My neighbor is a meteorologist, hockey player, pole dancer and ballet dancer. His wife is really embarrased when he tells people he is a pole dancer. What do male pole dancers wear when they are dancing? Not sure I want to know.

Jim Berry
RV-10

In my prestigious row of the newest hangars only one (us) house airplanes. ALL others are rented to businesses. I am lucky to have a well connected buddy to share hangar with. I came from a long trip yesterday night and discovered 5 U-Haul truck dropped off by people along the row no way to get plane in :D Barely could get car out good thing MINIs are small :D

Vlad, that's sacralidge. Our local airport requires hangars are rented for airplanes. Pease New Hampshire had a similar requirement even for the condo hangars.

At Hampton Airfield, most of the neighbors would be called "interesting" ... all would be called characters ;)

Glen actually our airport is very good and businesses around us have deep respect and cooperation. Yesterday was Sunday and UHaul trucks were dropped off by customers after hours. There was a box with keys on one of hangar doors but it would require a good load of TNT to get keys out :D

To quote Arthur Carlson, "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly", for those who remember WKRP :D

I thought Les Nessman said that. And yes, apparently I AM old enough to remember watching Johnnie and Venus. In fact, the software company I worked for used to have an annual Herb Tarlek golf tournament with prizes for the best "Herb" get up :D

I don't know if this counts more as frightening than interesting, but my wife just had a conversation with the guy two houses down. His whole clan has been living in that house for three generations, all The-Hills-Have-Eyes style, and he told her a couple of days ago he once caught one of the local thieves stealing his golf clubs out of the back of his truck.

He chased the thief down and gave him a rather severe beating (my neighbor is 5'8 and 110lbs soaking wet), the whole time yelling "don't come back, Crow!" Crow being the thief's nickname. As a result of the thrashing, Crow fell backwards and bashed his head on the concrete sidewalk, and went to the hospital in a coma. He eventually awoke, was released, then five days later, he died. My neighbor was up on manslaughter charges, but they were dropped, since Crow was released from the hospital when he passed on. "All I had to do was pay the lawyer and that was it," was what my neighbor said to my wife.

I don't know what's more disturbing, the fact that my neighbor knows all the local scumbags by nickname, or that he essentially beat one of them to death and got away with it. I take comfort in the fact that it may not be true, since he strikes me as the consummate BS artist, but we won't be having them over for coffee and cookies any time soon.

Sport Aviation 1937 Cessna

My hangar neighbor has a 1937 Cessna on floats that was featured in a Sport Aviation article last year. Glen Larson, retired Northwest pilot owns her and commutes between Minnesota and Florida with the ship. I thought my 87 yr old mother would like her photo taken in front of it.

55jksl.jpg

Last edited:
Used to be hangar neighbors with Scott Crossfield. He'd stop to chat whenever I had the hangar door open. Most people that talked to him had no idea who he was.

Also used to be near Bob Schumaker - most don't know the name but a clue was the retired Navy sticker, Star sticker on the bumper, and POW license plate.

Don't know if it was true but was told he came up with the nickname "Hanoi Hilton".

He now flies a nice Glassair...

More here:

http://collections.mdch.org/cdm/compoundobject/collection/saac/id/10882/rec/8

this may push the "neighbor" thing a little, in early 80's when i was crewing FIFI, B29, at a Tx airshow, i had finished what i was doing and walked back to the bench we had in front of FIFI where we sat to watch the show, i sat next to a guy who i didnt reconize, all i said was Howd'y neighbor, he turned to say hi and all i saw was his name tag, and all i could do was to try and say Hi Col Tibbets.

Mine

Here is what I have. There is also a Zero fighter in the hangar. I will get it's photo next time it pokes it's snout out.

AT6.jpg

Beaver Buddy

While based at Livermore, Ca (LVK) for a work project, I subleased a hangar next to a hanger full of nice airplanes. One day they were cleaning the hangar floor and moved everything outside. I could not resist the urge to get a pic with my 6A under the Beaver's wing. You might have noticed the P-51D behind the Beaver and that was only two of the four planes kept in that hangar. Livermore has a lot of interesting aircraft and it is an active place. I enjoyed my stay.

1z2nkgn.jpg

Last edited:
Back