What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Doug's new gyro camera mount

NYTOM

Well Known Member
Well I just changed my background from the monthly calendar to Doug's demo picture of Danny King's "Beautiful Doll". I can't wait to see what Doug comes up with for next month's wallpaper. I can see a new career on the horizon here for him, this stuff is really good.
Anybody know what those silver square patches are on the wing tips of "The Beautiful Doll"?
I don't remember seeing them on there at Sun N Fun but then again I was overwhelmed with RV drooling.
NYTOM
Tom Norwood
RV-6A 24058
N822PM (res)
TMX 0-360 FP
Still pounding

"Doug's new gyro camera mount"

I'm not allowed to reply to this thread? I got a message that I did not have authorization... ?

In any case, the silver things are the access for the long range fuel tanks.

T.

I tried to reply to the original post as well but it was locked out. Sure is a sweet gyro. They are a little pricey at about $2900 but well worth if you can afford one.

Beautiful pic's....never saw the tape until it was mentioned....new fangeled technology??? ;) Takes the human "tracking" factor out of the equation? :eek:

So Doug jest flys along side and a laser track and aligns his target based on a few small strips of aluminum foil? :p worth every penny, leave it to a Texan to figure out how to fly and take great photos without lettin of of the reigns :)

I too am jealous of this mount. I do quite a bit of bird photography (as well as the newsletter photos for our EAA chapter) all requiring hand held shooting. The new Nikon VR lenses are great on my D2H, but the gyro mount would be awesome. One thing Doug didn't mention is what he intends to use as a shooting platform. If I knew someone here that would be willing to fly me around with the door taken off a Cessna, I'd be in the same part-time business also.

More on the new toy...

Sorry about the delay in responding...just saw this thread :eek:. I shot that out of the back of Ron Grover's 'Hot Stuff' with a standard old Digital Rebel (and the gyro mount of course). Here's a link to a few more from that morning (not at full size): http://www.vansairforce.com/images/A2A/index.html. Picasa kinda muddies up the pic when it resizes it for the gallery - the originals are in (mostly) sharp focus.

Now for the new news.....my new Canon EOS-1 D Mark II N camera body arrived today. I've been saving nickels for a LONG time to buy this baby (and the gyro) and I'm pretty jazzed - I'm also about to start selling some avionics that I don't use <g>. This weekend or early next week I'm hoping to get some more test shots...I have some technology I need to come up to speed on.

The camera, 300mm lens and gyro weigh about 10lbs.

The hope is to be able to do poster size professional RV photography.

1d_mkii_n_586x225.jpg

Last edited:
I'd say 1/60th. I found that if I bumped the side of the fuse or touched the canopy or wasn't smooth with the camera I'd introduce a little fuzz into the image. I took 109 pictures and I'd say about 25% were 'keepers'.

Before the mount I'd be lucky if (3) were keepers - out of 100.

It does help, but it's not point and shoot. There is some technique, but nothing that can't be mastered quickly (if I can do it...).

b,
d

Point and shoot is definetly out using a gyro - as well as panning the camera to follow action as the gyro is trying to hold everything steady. Is it true that the mount takes 5-10 minutes to come up to speed? And not that it matters in an aircraft, but how much noise does it make - say in a quiet place like your living room? I'm wondering how useable it would be for wildlife photography...

DeltaRomeo said:
Now for the new news.....my new Canon EOS-1 D Mark II N camera body arrived today. I've been saving nickels for a LONG time to buy this baby (and the gyro) and I'm pretty jazzed
Man, you do get all the good toys - congrats! I'm still trying to get all I can out of my 20D. It's a better camera than I will ever be photographer.

Must ... not ... get ... jealous ... ;)

Doug

Baja_Traveler said:
snip.....Is it true that the mount takes 5-10 minutes to come up to speed? And not that it matters in an aircraft, but how much noise does it make - say in a quiet place like your living room? I'm wondering how useable it would be for wildlife photography...
Yep, it takes 5 minutes to come up to 22,000rpm. The noise is noticible, mostly because I think it's in your hands and your holding it right there in front of your face. Noisy if you were thinking about deer....but birds from a distance would probably be OK.

Danny couldn't hear it in the front seat of the cockpit.

b,
d

Last edited:
davidkarlsberg said:
snip...but at work when we use a stedi cam there are usually 2 gyros on it....snip.
Would 'at work' include actors and actresses? I see from your profile you're in Los Angelas..... RVators and their day jobs and all that.....

b,
d

Gyros

I used to shoot for UPI, AP and several regional rags. I used the KS-4 version on my Nikons while shooting air to air and aerial. Acceptable results were acheived at shutter speeds down to 1/30 sec. on a non image stabilized camera. Doug is corect that technique is critical in using this wonder tool. You cannot touch the airframe while shooting or the airframe vibrations will transfer through your body to the camera. The product is worth every penny it cost. I believe it does have two gyros in it, spinning in different attitudes.

Good luck Doug.

FWIW

I suddenly find my schedule open Doug - let me know where you guys might be "practicing" this weekend, and maybe I can meet you there!

I want to see this new-fangled technology in action...

Paul

Use the '6' if you're using larger lenses, was what I researched. I'll be using up to a 300mm IS lens (never smaller than 200mm).

[ed. Side note: Here's a reason you can get in trouble when there are two 'Doug Reeves' in the same forum.....I saw this post and decided to add something I forgot. Trouble was....I didn't start this reply <g>. I added my text and hit save. Sorry about that 'other Doug'.
b,
d ]

Hard Knox said:
snip...why the KS-6?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why the 6?

Other is 100% correct. The use/limitations of the 4 and 6 models are based on weight. With more weight of a larger lens, the 6, or larger model works more effectively in limiting mvement and reducing external vibration. When shooting F-16s, F-15s, A-4s and other jets, the vibrations could be controlled with technique and shutter speed(1/500). When shooting E2Cs or and rotorcraft, the Kenlab was essential in controlling vibrations while trying to keep the shutter speeds low to show blade movement. The best platform I ever shot from was a KC-135. Comfortable and effective. I have extensive experience with the Kenlab/Kenyon products. If anyone has questions, feel free to ask.

the_other_dougreeves said:
[ed. Side note: Here's a reason you can get in trouble when there are two 'Doug Reeves' in the same forum.....I saw this post and decided to add something I forgot. Trouble was....I didn't start this reply <g>. I added my text and hit save. Sorry about that 'other Doug'.
b,
d ]
No worries, as long as the credit card bill for the KS-6 doesn't accidentally make it to my mailbox (although your new EOS-1D Mk II certainly can) ;)

Doug

plans for a gyro

Guys a year or so ago a guy was selling plans to build a gyro camera mount on ebay. You could buy his plans and buy most of the parts off of ebay. Old or surplus gyros from military components. He has since stop selling the plans and I can't find them anywhere on the net. I've spent a lot of time looking in a lot of camera forums and doing general searches. I wish now I had bought the plans. If anyone comes across them please post the info here. I to have done some air to ground photos and can't spend the big bucks for the off the shelf model, but I can run a lathe and mill well enough. Just thought someone might have bought the plans or know someone who did. Keep the pictures coming Doug...
Eric
www.justrvparts.com

Fabulous Results!

I know that Doug is still working at getting the results he wants, and that he has to hold back some of the photos so far because he's waiting to hear from Van's, but I gotta tell you folks - the pictures I have seen so far are stunning!

The only thing more interesting than the photos themselves was closing up on Danny King's wing at 9,000', and seeing Doug in the back seat of the Doll, sitting BACKWARDS taking the pictures! Even after all the time I spent in awkward postions back there while building my plane, I don't think I'm flexible enough to get in that position in flight, with the canopy closed....

It must be that he's married to a Yoga Instructor! ;) :D

Thanks again Doug!

Paul

Back