What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oshkosh 2022

jamcgee1978

I’m over the pond in that there Scotlandia , currently booking leave for my first Oshkosh next year in 2022. Now I can either arrive at the beginning of the week or before 23/24th but would have to leave mid week around Thursday to be back on shift by Sunday. Or arrive at Osh mid week and stay till the end.

My question is what period of the week is favoured by most ?

Thanks

The vast majority of homebuilders are there from the first weekend until mid-week, so if community is what you want….early is better.

Homebuilt parking gets pretty deserted by the final weekend.

I'd arrive early before all vendors and presenters are worn out. For many years I've been arriving early and leaving on Thursday.

The only caveat is if you arrive in an RV after about the Friday before, you may have less choice in getting a nicer camp site. In that case, you may be better arriving on Thursday and taking the sites people like me leave. In either case, you might consider a bike to get up to the site unless you are willing to wait on the bus schedule.

One thing I noticed this year (first time staying the whole week) was that airshows got significantly better starting at about midweek. This of course is opinion and I generally love watching modern fighters more than anything so take it as you may. Of course this doesn't matter if you aren't the airshow type either.

As Paul mentioned, most of the RV’ers arrive the weekend before and depart mid-week. It really depends on your goals and objectives for attending. Unfortunately, the forum schedule is only posted a week or two before the show starts.

One thing I noticed this year (first time staying the whole week) was that airshows got significantly better starting at about midweek. This of course is opinion and I generally love watching modern fighters more than anything so take it as you may. Of course this doesn't matter if you aren't the airshow type either.

That’s really the way its designed. The first part of the week, its a mega-gigantic aviator social event/fly-in, and the end of the week, its an airshow for the general public. So the shows build up all week long.

Wow

That’s really the way its designed. The first part of the week, its a mega-gigantic aviator social event/fly-in, and the end of the week, its an airshow for the general public. So the shows build up all week long.

This explains a lot.

Sounds like either way you'll be there for the Wed Night airshow, which is usually good to see.

Monday has a band in the evening, some have been, shall we say, better than others. Not sure if the evening entertainment is high on your list.

People start leaving Thursday, so if smaller crowds appeal to you, that's the way to go.

I've been 3 times. I arrive Sunday and leave Saturday.

I wondered if that was the case, makes sense. No complaints here, just pointing out it would be disappointing if a guy left on Tuesday. Haha.

I was just talking to someone today that said the airshows weren’t his thing. My brain simply did not compute! :D

Thanks for all the responses were just trying to put plans in place at moment , so I gather now that early on is a proper aviator flyin and then from say mid week it’s a full blown air show with all the bells and whistles .

One more question is whether or not to bring the kids (lad is 8 , girl will be 6) , is there enough to keep em going for say 4 days or will they burn out by the first day, trying to see if we can make a road trip work .
:D

Thanks

Thanks for all the responses were just trying to put plans in place at moment , so I gather now that early on is a proper aviator flyin and then from say mid week it’s a full blown air show with all the bells and whistles .

One more question is whether or not to bring the kids (lad is 8 , girl will be 6) , is there enough to keep em going for say 4 days or will they burn out by the first day, trying to see if we can make a road trip work .
:D

Thanks

Plenty of activities for the kids. They is a dedicated area just for them. Take a look at the Kidventure pages on the Airventure web page. There is also a hands on area in the EAA museum for kids as well.

There is usually plenty of static aircraft displays that you can take a tour of the insides. The government also has displays the kids may enjoy, like the canine demonstrations.

They’ll enjoy the Wednesday evening air show with all the pyrotechnics too.

There used to be a craft tent for the spouses, but I haven’t kept up with that recently.

I don’t know the age restrictions on the helicopter and other aircraft rides.

The bottom line is that there is plenty to kept them busy.

To be fair, it is a full blown airshow all week, and an even bigger show toward the weekend. The crowd is the biggest change as some people who flew in leave, and more general public types come for the bigger airshows.

So, if you want to sit in one spot and watch a show, come later. If you want to meet with lots of pilots, homebuilders, restorers, etc, come early, and there will still be a show too.

Plenty of activities for the kids. They is a dedicated area just for them. Take a look at the Kidventure pages on the Airventure web page. There is also a hands on area in the EAA museum for kids as well.

There is usually plenty of static aircraft displays that you can take a tour of the insides. The government also has displays the kids may enjoy, like the canine demonstrations.

They’ll enjoy the Wednesday evening air show with all the pyrotechnics too.

There used to be a craft tent for the spouses, but I haven’t kept up with that recently.

I don’t know the age restrictions on the helicopter and other aircraft rides.

The bottom line is that there is plenty to kept them busy.

And with some work that is underway, we anticipate there being a LOT more stuff for the kids next year.

A friend rolled into the Osh camp ground the Saturday before Osh opened and said it was tough getting a spot. Other campers I talked with said campground was packed solid. Lots of RV (ground based) sales occurred over the past year so you may need to take availability into consideration.

Camping

Going this year, never been before. I will be camping in a travel trailer. I would like to camp in one of the electric/sewer sites but have no idea if I'll be able to get one or how fast they sell out?? Advice please.

Thanks!
Mike

Going this year, never been before. I will be camping in a travel trailer. I would like to camp in one of the electric/sewer sites but have no idea if I'll be able to get one or how fast they sell out?? Advice please.

Thanks!
Mike

Better to reserve early if you know you're going. Bring a bicycle to get you up to the gate.

https://www.eaa.org/airventure/plan-your-eaa-airventure-trip/eaa-camping-and-lodging

Also, Camp Scholler has mobile sewage trucks available. I'm not sure what the prices are, but if you end up without a water/sewer site, you can call the truck and they'll come pump out your holding tanks. They don't offer drinkable water refills, but they can top you off with non-potable water for showers and what-not.

Last edited:
Sounds like either way you'll be there for the Wed Night airshow, which is usually good to see.

Monday has a band in the evening, some have been, shall we say, better than others. Not sure if the evening entertainment is high on your list.

People start leaving Thursday, so if smaller crowds appeal to you, that's the way to go.

I've been 3 times. I arrive Sunday and leave Saturday.

No concert Monday night. Bummer- my wife always looks forward to seeing it. I guess it’s SOS for evening entertainment.

Early is better

Of course with the cost of fuel and gasoline, I'm wondering if the attendance will be down? Last year, after having 2020 off, the attendance was off the graph. Friday was like what Sunday usually is. Camping areas were packed early. Not sure that will be the case this year.

No concert, but SOS Brothers always has good entertainment. Sunday night social in the Home Built pavilion, Monday RV social and others....

For those looking for something to do Monday night, it is going to be a celebration of Van’s 50th at Theater in the Woods - I think starting at 1900. Dan is going to kick off the RV Social early so folks have time to imbibe and social and still get to hear stories from Van and the gang….

It’s up to you to convince the spouse that it is a substitute for a concert! ;)

Back