View Single Post
Old 12-01-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmr View Post
In fact as I've practiced aerobatics in Pitts I've been purposely practicing removing power anytime the nose is pointing below the horizon (after attaining entry speed) and putting power in after the nose crosses above the horizon.
Depends on what you're trying to get out of the airplane. Even flying Sportsman level acro, I pretty much fly my Pitts using two throttle positions - wide open and fully closed. The only time it's closed is for spins. Pitts' are very draggy. I don't exceed Vne, but don't bother looking at the tach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmr View Post
I tried to listen to any power changes while you were doing your loop and didn't notice any. By any chance did you notice your airspeed on the way down and did you ever get close to Vne?
There's no need to make power changes through a loop. If anything, you can add full power on the way up and return to your entry setting on the way down. Or you can do a loop from cruise power without touching a thing. In any airplane, as long as you enter and exit at about the same altitude, you'd need to break some laws of physics to exit with significantly more airspeed than what you entered with. There is also no need to pull more G on the backside compared to what you intially pulled with. Airspeed will only get out of control if you are very tentative pulling through the backside, and end up well below your entry altitude. Severe overspeeding on loops is like blown aileron rolls- it's generally only going to happen if you botch it up during your initial learning attempts. This is what instructors are for. It's very quick and easy to get past this stage and to the point of safely (but not necessarily beautifully) performing the basic figures.

Last edited by sandifer : 12-01-2014 at 12:07 PM.