What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LED Cowl lights

Janekom

Well Known Member
Patron
We all know that the wing tip lights means nothing while taxiing at night. Someone else recently posted his solution and at the time I have mentioned that I am also working on something. Well it is done and I am happy with the outcome. At this stage I have two type MR16 (38 degrees) in there that gives a quite a big spread, but I can also change it and try narrower angle lamps.
rv10_100.jpg

The picture below sure pretty much all the parts I had to make.

rv10_101.jpg

The next two shows the wiring - it is taped in with foil tape. I use the same as heat shields in the cowls.

rv10_102.jpg

rv10_103.jpg

And then a close up. Picked up one problem in that the RH one is very close to the alternator. If I do it again, I will lower it by about 1 inch.

rv10_104.jpg

Nice

Looks good.
I am lookin for a solution like that. Just didnt feel good cutting holes in the wings. Keep us updated. Will be very interested how it handles, heat,vibration and amount of light.

Very nice work.

The One from Aerosport looks really nice as well.

BUT - I have lost a bit of sleep thinking about those holes that I have to cut.
I I had to cut this huge hole I would even have lost more sleep :)

I have also thought about symmetry and me and Rudi have discussed it at length. I have also given the prop blanking it somewhat when at idle. Maybe I am wrong but with two small holes the prop only blanks one at a time. In the end the two small hole won :D

I guess the end result will be almost the same.

Lights

I saw a Kitfox years ago with a light nicely faired into the front of both wheel pants (taildragger). I always thought that was a neat look, and our wheelpants are plenty big, especially on the -10.

I have also considered the wheel pants at some stage, but making a lens might be a problem.

Mine is 5W with a 38 degree angle.
Telling you where I found it will not help you - I am in South Africa.

I guess your closest home depot will have similar.

5W MR16 LED's

Hallo Jan,
How well do they illuminate the runway/taxiway? In lumens they are not very high. I see a 9W is also available.
Groete.
Johan

Back