What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder stiffeners not lining up

thoma015

Well Known Member
I am having trouble with my rudder stiffeners lining up. It seems like to me that the holes in the stiffeners are uniformly spaced, but the holes in the skin aren't.

The skins are older from a older kit i bought from a guy and the stiffeners are new from Vans (the kit didn't come with them).

The stiffeners holes are more widely spaced than the holes in the skin, could i flute the stiffeners to get them in line?

Fluting

The holes are off lenthwise. Fluting won't change that.
Try moving them to other places or starting clekos in the middle.
I don't think the holes changed. That looks like a mis punched part but I am usually wrong. Experts here will know.

You can buy blank stiffener angle from Van's, cut them to length yourself, and drill them yourself, just like us RV-3B builders do. Takes a little time but it isn't a big deal.

Dave

If I recall, it took me several iterations to figure out the proper placement of the stiffeners. Just keep looking at it, you'll see how they fit. And as already pointed out, if you goof up your stiffeners in the process, you can buy more from Vans.

The -7 rudder changed a few years back didn't it? Maybe the stiffeners are from the newer rudder while the skins are from the old one.

Seems like I remember if you turn them the other way they will line up. You may have to try different stiffeners in different locations but eventually they will line up...and you'll have one of those DUH moments. 😀

They are all cut at a notch in a long piece of AL that is pre punched. You need to cut them apart, then find the correct location where the holes and length line up, Then the ends are tapered accordingly. I think everybody gets a little confused over these.

Roberta

Back