What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Powder coat crack?

DHRYCAUK

After changing my oil I was inspecting the FWF with the cowl off and I noticed a crack on my lower engine mount. Not sure if it's just a powder coat crack or the mount itself. I'll probably need to buff off the powder coat to expose the metal, if it's the metal I imagine the repair could be grinding out the crack and fill with weld.

Anybody else have any thoughts?

Last edited:
paint

Maybe just powder coating coming of its put on without a primer check it out and see.
Bob

If it's a real crack, AC 43.13b has repair processes.

You might be able to chip off the powder coat at the crack and expose the metal that way, if it's a powder coat issue.

Dave

Is that the cup that holds the rubber mount on a dynafocal? Hard to imagine a structural crack there. Mounts crack at the welds typically. This is more likely rust under the powder coat.

It sure seems like an odd place and angle for a stress related crack.

I would chip it off then look for a surface defect.

My first thought was a powder coat deficiency, I'll try and flake it off when I get back from vacation in a couple weeks to expose the metal. Hopefully that's all it is.

not uncommon

I found some old threads; seems for a time the freshly welded steel went straight to the powdercoaters, and they did NO prep, just shot & baked.
I have a bit of flaking on my engine mount also, probably a circa 2003 or so.
I chipped and shaved down with a wire wheel, did a close visual inspection, primed and touched up as needed.
Not a permanent fix, but your mount isn't exactly 'out in the weather' so future corrosion seems unlikely.

Rather than chip it off, take some MEK on a rag and rub at it until you can inspect it, or a dab of paint remover will easily lift it. You can then fair the edges in and retouch with paint and you will hardly notice.
I agree with others. Doubtful it is a crack.

Thx for the tips everyone, just enjoying some sun and cerveza's in Mexico for a couple weeks. Will post what I find when I get back.

Back