What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SB 00007 - The Missing SB !

mike newall

Well Known Member
Sponsor
This relates to the service letter 00033 from February this year about cracks to WD-1021 and the replacement with a new design part.

There are currently 2 failed aeroplanes in the UK, one has been fixed, the other is about to start.

I am surprised that there doesn't appear to be any reference to this on here, nor are the required parts seeable on a store search on the Vans website.

How many people have checked and are in process of replacing the main gear structure ?

We preemptively did the replacement a couple of weeks ago on our under construction RV-10. We will operate off a grass strip and would much rather do the replacement now versus on a flying airplane.

Van's estimates 30+ hours to complete the SB for a flying airplane, but in our case - we were north of 40 hours on a partially completed airframe with no wings attached. My son and I did the SB. We were very slow and deliberate, given that we were drilling holes through the spar - so it's possible that more skilled folks could do it quicker.

I believe that Van's is evaluating on a case by case basis whether or not they will sell the parts for the Service Bulletin. We had to ask and plead our case in order to buy the SB parts, since we had not yet flown the airplane and obviously were not seeing any cracks as referenced in the Service Letter.

Last edited:
Interesting - thanks for that.

I also see that the weldments are $1200 !!!

We will operate off tarmac, so I am thinking we will be careful :D:D

A little more information -

I only learned of the existence of SB-00007 when a slow build RV-10 fuselage kit showed up at Synergy Air South. The crate contained all of the parts, templates and instructions for this SB.

The builder still had to modify the fuselage and spar sections IAW the SB, but it was much easier to do with the parts on the workbench.

I assume that at some point, the fuselage kit will be pre-drilled for the new components.

A recently arrived QB fuselage had the new parts installed, but surprisingly the forward floor pans were still of the old style. The new weldments do not have the forward angled brace.

I saw the new mounts on these planes at Synergy South on Wednesday while doing some interesting stuff on Krea's RV10. (Public thanks to Krea for the round trip flight in his beautiful 7A! MUCH better than driving--almost like a 'Beam Me Up Scotty' experience.)
This weldment is a robust piece!

Tom

Can one of you care to elaborate on this issue?
What is it about? Is there a link to it?
Pictures?

SL-00033

Read the Service Letter SL-00033 REV 1 on Vans Website, if you have the cracks mentioned in the letter they will offer a more "Robust Weldment" replacement as mentioned by Tom. I think there is a limited supply available and its a lot of work to replace them.

Apparently, this is an unpublished SB and is sold when noticed by owners.

I am assuming this only has affected a few aeroplanes with high hours when operated off unprepared strips. 2 in the UK thus far.

We build on and will operate from hard surfaces, so will take care I guess.....:D

I'll be based on a grass strip. Has this new part been incorporated as standard? I think I may need to call and verify before my fuselage gets crated.

I contacted Van's as soon as the SB came out, as I was at the appropriate point in the fuselage assembly. They firmly recommended that there was no need to pre-emptively replace these parts on an under-construction airframe.

I'll be based on a grass strip. Has this new part been incorporated as standard? I think I may need to call and verify before my fuselage gets crated.

I received a RV-10 standard build fuselage in November 2021 and I had the new landing gear mount included. Not all parts or plan were updated at the time, so I did have to complete some steps in the SB, which confused me at first, but everything necessary was included in the kit and it ended up working out fine (at least so far!) -- see here for more info: https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=203866

Alex

Back