What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Major milestone! PPL in hand.

agirard7a

Well Known Member
I'm almost finished building my 9a.
so I thought it time to finish up with my
PPL. Man great feeling! Can't wait to be flying
my own home built plane. I wonder if there's
many out there that build before getting a liscense
to fly. If I knew how to do a poll I would post one.

Congratulations. It's a real accomplishment and you should feel good about it.

I didn't start building until after I had my PPL but I did buy a plane long before getting my PPL - mostly because the local rental planes had too many squawks.

FWIW, you'll love the 9A. It handles great, is easy to land, makes cross wind t/o and landings easy work and she cruises like a dream.

Congratulations!!

Congrats on the PPL.

Buddy of mine built his RV 10 before he had a license, took his transition training, came home and took his check ride, and with his freshly minted ticket in hand, did his first flight in the 10.

Can be done-----but be careful, and honest with yourself about your abilities.

Me too

Al,

I did the same as you.

I soloed in college (many years ago) but quit flying because I figured I?d never own a plane. Then along came the RV series of planes. I started building about 6 year ago. I received my PPL about two years ago and I am now about 99% complete with my RV-9. I hope to be fly it in a couple of months.

I am currently flying a friends Piper Cherokee, underpowered, steam gauges, old radio, but cheap. I can?t wait to get in my own plane.

Congratulations Albit!

You did it man. I completed my RV9A before I was FAA certified pilot. When is the party? :D

Congrats, Al! But I thought they built boats in RI. I don't recall there being an airport anywhere around when I was stationed in NPT back in the 80s. Time have sure changed....

Well, I've had my PPL for a while, but does starting my RV-10 without every riding in an RV count? I'm almost done with my instrument ticket with hopes that it will help me get insurance for the -10 when I finish it. Two more years and hopefully my -10 will fly. Although I've been saying that since 2003... Congrats on earning your PPL.

PJ Seipel
RV-10 #40032

Al,

You're not the only one! I've been working on my RV-7A for about 6 years now, and I don't have my PPL yet either. I'm nearing the finish line, though, so I hope to start flying lessons this spring. It would be great to finish it about the time my RV is ready to fly.

I took FAA ground school in college, but that was many years ago. At the time, as a student with no income I couldn't afford to fly. But I've wanted my own airplane my entire life, and the RV was the answer. Can't wait!

Congrats! As a recent recipient of a Private Pilot certificate I know EXACTLY how you feel. I remember being on quite a high of emotion that day.

Thanks

You did it man. I completed my RV9A before I was FAA certified pilot. When is the party? :D

Thanks everyone. Happy to see I'm not alone
In building before being licensed.
Vlad. We're going to party on your birthday at
Block Island!

Vlad. We're going to party on your birthday at
Block Island!

On your boat! You timed it very well Al. I will come with full fuel for you to get some loggable stick time. Your insurance man would love to see extra hours in 9.

Back