What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First ride in an RV

IFlySlow

I had caught wind of a special day that had been planned by a member of EAA Chapter 240 at New Garden Airport (N57). One of the older members, Jim (whose last name escapes me at the moment, but he's a gentleman and a scholar!), had arranged to have a P-51D visit the field to give rides to the first 10 (which turned into 12) people to get their names on the list. Before you get the wrong idea about where this story is headed, I was not one of those 12! In fact, that's not what this thread is about really (although seeing the -51 in such a low-key, uncrowded environment was every bit as cool as you think it was!).

Actually, my story is more about the RV-7A I spotted on the way past the main hangar to the ramp. Now, I've been going to this airport since my Dad started taking me as a kid back in the 70's, and as soon as I got my driver's license, this was the first place I wanted to go with my new-found freedom. But I got older, got married, got divorced, got re-married, blah blah blah...so years of "other responsibilities" kept me away until, over the last few years I found myself drifting back to N57 every time I had a few spare hours on a Sunday (my only day off, which is usually reserved for family). Anyway, I digress...

There I am, walking past the open hangar, in which normally resides an odd assortment of planes, ranging from a brand new Pipistrel Alpha LSA trainer (weird thing...looks like a bug), A Fairchild 24 that's immaculately restored, a PT-22, an L-2, a couple of Golden Age biplanes whose makes I can never remember...all of these I've seen and photographed plenty of times. But today there was something different. An RV-7A was tucked in there on the far side, and I was immediately drawn to it (yes, the P-51 was directly in front of me, gassing up at the pump, and I ignored it for the RV...I am truly infected in a sad way.

Noticing that I was smitten (and possibly trying to prevent me from drooling on the plane), a stranger walked over and we started talking about RV's...this one wasn't his (he owned the aforementioned L-2, but he wants an RV-8)...however he knew the owner, and promised to point him out to me if he showed up. This he dutifully did, and that led to more RV talk with Dave Hagerty, who had recently purchased this particular 7A from a gentleman in Kansas. One thing led to another, and I finally admitted that although I've been a fan of the brand for many years, I'd never even sat in one. You know what came next...one minute I'm testing out the left seat, babbling like a kid in a candy store, and the next thing I know, Dave is off in search of some Dave Clarks because he wants me to get a little air time.

Not too long after that, we were airborne. I don't need to tell you guys and gals what a rush I got from the first surge of power, but let me at least say it was just shy of a religious experience for me. I mean, I've flown spam cans with similar horsepower, but I've never felt anything quite like the acceleration this 180hp motor was making me feel in this smaller, lighter airframe.

It was hot, humid, and hazy today, but I really didn't care. We didn't have chutes, so no acro, but some steep turns showed off the responsiveness of the plane. And then Dave said, "Ya wanna try it?" Does a bear fart in the woods? Is the Pope Argentinian? Is that horizon virtually indistinguishable? YES PLEASE!

Two fingers and a thumb (yes, from the same hand, thank you very much) were all that was needed. My turns were less aggressive than Dave's, but the immediate response to every input was so unlike the Skyhawks and Cherokee's I'm used to (again, I know I'm preaching to the choir here). Initially, the sight picture in Dave's tip-up was a little disorienting, and I found myself gaining 500 feet when I thought I was staying pretty straight and level, but once I got used to it, holding altitude got easier. I may need about another 2...make that 2000 hours in the type to get used to it, but if it's the last thing I do, I will find a way to get me one of these things!

I know this was a lot to read, but I suspect there are a lot of wannabe's (and likely as many "already are's") like me here on VAF who understand why I still can't wipe the RV Grin off my face (no pic of that, but trust me, it's there!). Sorry my words were inadequate to express the joy that short flight brought me, after so many years of letting my license collect dust (due to all the usual suspects). I've never lost my love for aviation, but as the dream seemed to be slipping away, I needed this reminder to rejuvenate the passion, and remind me that all the other cr*p life throws at me is worth it if I can somehow end up an RV owner.

Once again, to Doug Reeves, and all the regulars here at VAF, thank you for inspiring guys like me, and showing that it can be done if you want it bad enough. And finally, thanks to Dave Hagerty for his generosity and kindness to this airplane nerd from way back. I am forever grateful, even if it does turn out to be the most expensive free ride I've ever taken! An extra mid-year donation to VAF has been entered in Dave's honor.

(Here's a pic of Dave's gorgeous RV-7A to wrap up this dissertation)

IMG_1060_zps5872aa51.jpg

Last edited:
Great story!

You're ahead of where I was in the RV experience vs ownership curve. I sat in one, but had never flown one before putting down a deposit to buy.

I'm very happy I bought my RV-6, it's been a great experience so far and the fun has just started!

Doug

Just wait until you fly the one you build, that feeling of amazement multiplies to levels you think dont exist. I have only been flying mine for a week now but I'm close to 20 hours already, I think its safe to say I am addicted.

Yep

Now you realize why there are around 8,000 RV's flying and probably close to that many under construction.:)

Best,

Related?

David you do not know me but we are related I think.:D I gave Dave a ride in my 7A two months ago at New Garden. I then received a phone call two weeks later to tell me his ride was the most expensive ride he has ever had. He had purchsed his 7A! I think that makes us related! Great story. Now it is your turn.

More RV to ride in

David you have an invite for a ride in a 12, email me. I am sure Scott (RV8) would also take you up. You can knock off 2 more models this upcoming weekend. :D

Maybe add a 9A too!

Not to be shown up by David (12) and Scott (8), you can hitch a ride in my 9 as well:) KPTW or KOQN - or even better at EAA240 Pancake breakfast this weekend . . .

Magic

I started my 6 1/2 year RV-8A without having flown in an RV. Decision for the -8 was made when the wife told me she'd never fly in the thing, so fighter-like tandom won over side-by-side togetherness. At the time I had 7200 hours of flight time - mostly in Navy jets, but zero tail dragger time. Lived in the boonies in the Mojave desert so decided a tail dragger endorsement was too difficult logistically and opted for a nose dragger. Random high winds here in the High Desert makes that decision seem like inciteful brilliance - although there is a loss of "cool" compared to a taildragger -8.

Never flew in an RV until I showed up at Mike Seegar's for transition training. Now havew 320+ hrs on my -8A and am still overcome by feelings of amazement everytime that sucker lifts off. Warning: the RV fun factor will lead to an amazing number of FACIT flights - "Fool" Around and Call It Training - that turns $ into engine noise for no other reason than the pure joy of flying an RV.

Jeff, You have the 7A that's white with kind of a green trim, right? Dave H. told me about you, so your fame precedes your comments! He basically said the same thing about his ride with you. I have a few pics of you taxiing by yesterday. If there are any good ones (like, say, you're not picking your nose or something), I'll send them over, although I'm sure you have plenty of others! All of that said, if and when I finally get one of these for my very own, I'm committed to passing it forward as you and Dave H. have done. Thanks for checking in!

...but some steep turns showed off the responsiveness of the plane. And then Dave said, "Ya wanna try it?" Does a bear fart in the woods? Is the Pope Argentinian? Is that horizon virtually indistinguishable? YES PLEASE!

Two fingers and a thumb (yes, from the same hand, thank you very much) were all that was needed. My turns were less aggressive than Dave's, but the immediate response to every input was so unlike the Skyhawks and Cherokee's I'm used to (again, I know I'm preaching to the choir here).

Ha, he's hooked! Pretty cool huh? I had the same reaction to my first RV ride.

A couple of weeks ago I took up an RV newbie; he's a share owner in an old West Houston based 7GCAA Citabria but has the bug for an RV-8. He's done his research and has a set of preview plans, yet he's not been up for a ride nor even sat in one. So he sits in the front seat to see if it fits... meanwhile I'm plugging a spare headset into the back seat. Wanna ride? His response was the same as yours; YES PLEASE! When I let him fly it, it took all of about three seconds for him to start giggling and laughing, tossing the ship from left to right, marveling at the handling and the visibility, even from the back seat. I think I ruined him financially; after landing he wanted to throw rocks at his dump truck Citabria and start looking at TaP and Barnstormers for an RV-8!

IAt the time I had 7200 hours of flight time - mostly in Navy jets, but zero tail dragger time. Lived in the boonies in the Mojave desert so decided a tail dragger endorsement was too difficult logistically and opted for a nose dragger.

Different strokes: similar situation, but I traveled from the East coast to the boonies in the Mojave just to get my tail dragger endorsement! Jet time not totally wasted, Bubba said I seemed to know what the rudder pedals were for, must have been all that high alpha time with my pipper on a Viper. :D

Now if I can just get the RV to use it on . . .

Last edited:
Build vs Buy

Great story!

You're ahead of where I was in the RV experience vs ownership curve. I sat in one, but had never flown one before putting down a deposit to buy.

I'm very happy I bought my RV-6, it's been a great experience so far and the fun has just started!

Doug

I think I'm much more likely to follow your lead on this matter...I really DO get the value and satisfaction builders derive from knowing every rivet in the plane they built, but I suspect I'm more likely to let life get in the way again if I go down that path. Maybe I'm wrong, but time will tell.

Just wait until you fly the one you build, that feeling of amazement multiplies to levels you think dont exist. I have only been flying mine for a week now but I'm close to 20 hours already, I think its safe to say I am addicted.

I have nothing but awe and admiration for builder/fliers...just think I'm more the latter half than the former!

David you have an invite for a ride in a 12, email me. I am sure Scott (RV8) would also take you up. You can knock off 2 more models this upcoming weekend. :D

I just KNEW you were gonna pop in here! Dave, I'm determined to take you up on your offer, and I hate to seem like I'm putting you off! Your -12 is such a beauty and I can't wait to experience her too! I know I sound like a broken record, but the only reason I don't get to the Heritage chapter's events is that they're usually on a Saturday, and I can't escape my work obligations that day without major headaches. That said, I may be showing up with a migraine! Again, thank you for your continued kindness and offers. You can't know how much I appreciate the consideration you've shown me since I first ran into you at the RV-1 Day.

Not to be shown up by David (12) and Scott (8), you can hitch a ride in my 9 as well:) KPTW or KOQN - or even better at EAA240 Pancake breakfast this weekend . . .

Mark,

Your -9 is stunning. I had the pleasure of wearing out some grass around it when you had it out for the RV-1 visit last year, and it sort of set the standard for the -9A I'd hope to own one day. Thank you for the kind offer, and for exemplifying (as have Dave V., Dave H., and others) the values that have attracted me to RV's and the RV community from the beginning.

Why do I suddenly feel like a kid in a candy store?

Ha, he's hooked! Pretty cool huh? I had the same reaction to my first RV ride.

A couple of weeks ago I took up an RV newbie; he's a share owner in an old West Houston based 7GCAA Citabria but has the bug for an RV-8. He's done his research and has a set of preview plans, yet he's not been up for a ride nor even sat in one. So he sits in the front seat to see if it fits... meanwhile I'm plugging a spare headset into the back seat. Wanna ride? His response was the same as yours; YES PLEASE! When I let him fly it, it took all of about three seconds for him to start giggling and laughing, tossing the ship from left to right, marveling at the handling and the visibility, even from the back seat. I think I ruined him financially; after landing he wanted to throw rocks at his dump truck Citabria and start looking at TaP and Barnstormers for an RV-8!

It sounds a lot like Dave Hagerty's experience...it was cool to see someone still getting to know his plane but loving every second of it. That's what I really love about all the RV owners I've met so far...none of them seem jaded about flying, as so many do who fly other makes. It seems an RV has the ability to take someone who is truly passionate about aviation and recharge that passion each time they fly it. Nothing saddens me more than talking to people to whom flying has become "just another job", or some kind of hobby with a cool factor (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I'm talking about the kind with no deeper, burning meaning).

And I almost forgot...

I can't believe my comments made it to the Home Page! I'm almost as psyched about that as....well, the RV-7 ride was definitely way cooler still, but.....I MADE IT TO THE HOME PAGE!

I think I'm much more likely to follow your lead on this matter...I really DO get the value and satisfaction builders derive from knowing every rivet in the plane they built, but I suspect I'm more likely to let life get in the way again if I go down that path. Maybe I'm wrong, but time will tell.

David,

Don't be too quick to write-off the building experience. Just as you were so pleasantly surprised to find out how well these airplanes fly, you may find similar joy in building one! I have enjoyed the building experience more than words allow. It has been the most rewarding thing I've ever done. Order a tail kit, go to a workshop, give it a whirl before you say no. Now that you know what's in store, you'll find more motivation than you thought you had. You can always sell the tail kit if you don't like it, with little at risk. There's always the quick-build option, too.

"Try it; you might like it!" :)

Hello All, This is my first post. (I hope the attachments work)?

I have been enjoying all the information on VAF.net for a few years now.

I was looking to contact a VAF member, David Kilmer, and came across this post that is one year to the date about me and my plane. So many kind words? I am truly appreciative.

I have to say this plane is so much fun to fly and enjoy sharing a ride with others. This weekend I will be again offering rides for our EAA Young Eagles at N57. The line is long to get a ride in the RV !

If you are close to N57 by Philadelphia, please consider stopping by this weekend. It is a jam packed fly in weekend and we see a lot of RVs and homebuilts. There is an EAA pancake breakfast and lunch. Free rides for the Kids, A live band and so much more. I personally would like to meet some more RV owners. (Mike Bullock I think you are close to N57?)

Please see the attached event list for this weekend and if possible can an administrator repost this to let other RVers know about this fly in weekend event.

http://www.newgardenflyingfield.com/

http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=44ec142cff8cc27761996886e&id=d2b58277bb&e=2de35e6dd3

9b4b8797-5bab-404e-83d2-b17814678b98.jpg

Saturday June 14th OPEN HOUSE
ANTIQUE CAR CRUISE
EAA Chapter 240 Pancake Breakfast
EAA Chapter 240 Hamburger and Hot Dog Lunch
FREE AIRPLANE INTRO FLIGHTS
LEARN TO FLY
FUTURE AVIATORS FALCON FLIGHT SIMULATOR
LIVE BAND
SNOW CONES
MOON BOUNCE
DISCOUNTED AIR SHOW TICKET SALES

SATURDAY NIGHT AVIATION CAMP OUT UNDER THE STARS
Aviation camp out under the stars at the airport. (Fly in and camp under the wing of your plane) (Bring your tent or RV) (NO CAMP FIRES) (NO RV HOOKUPS)
RV / Motor homes please preregister to confirm available space.
NIGHT FLYING- NGFC INSTRUCTORS ON SITE TO GET YOU NIGHT CURRENT
AVIATION MOVIE
POTLUCK COOKOUT (BRING SOMETHING TO SHARE AND GRILL)
R/C FUN FLY

Sunday June 15th P-51 MUSTANG DAY

Back