What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Filling Cabin/ Fuselage Junction RV-10

rv6ejguy

Well Known Member
I'm getting close to start filling and sanding the area between the aluminum fuselage and fiberglass cabin top on my RV10. How are people prepping the aluminum to make sure the filler stays stuck?

I'm using Aeropoxy Light which I've had good results with before.

Aeropoxy is pretty good, but i have had the best results with West System. Dries faster, and is stronger.

We use West Systems or Jeffco (now Rhino) epoxy, or Superfil for minor areas. I'm not a fan of the Aeropoxy Light... it's harder to work with and I have doubts about the adhesion...

Brad Simmons
Airframes Inc.
Milan, TN

Ok, might switch fillers but what works best for prepping the aluminum parts to make sure the filler stays put?

I roughed it up pretty good with 100 grit sandpaper, then cleaned it really well with MEK or acetone.

Vic

RV-10 joints

We used 2" fiberglass clothe over all joints and outer windows to prevent future cracking after paint.

Joints between windows, top and fuse - fiberglass ?

Any feedback 10 yrs in on need to use fiberglass when cleaning up the joint between the windows (rear, door, front) and the cabin top and cabin top and fuselage? Should I lay strip or 2 in there? Any cracking if just using filler and would glass bubbles be the medium? Was thinking a clamshell look might be in order as I’d like to cover up the glue line on the windows

Any feedback 10 yrs in on need to use fiberglass when cleaning up the joint between the windows (rear, door, front) and the cabin top and cabin top and fuselage? Should I lay strip or 2 in there? Any cracking if just using filler and would glass bubbles be the medium? Was thinking a clamshell look might be in order as I’d like to cover up the glue line on the windows

What Vic and Vern stated above.......

Just sand and clean.

I used micro balloons to fill any gaps or voids, then two strips of fiberglass, then more micro to blend in the edges. I also did something similar with the window joints, except that I used a lighter weight glass and didn’t apply any micro to fill the glass side. It’s been flying for over seven years with no cracking at any of the joints.

Back