What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lord Mounts for I(O) 540

vic syracuse

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Mentor
Has anyone figured out the correct Lord mount part numbers for the IO-540 on an RV-10? I searched here and coudn't find them.

Thanks.

Vic

Lord Mount

Vic,
I have the Lord mounts that came with Van's FWF kit. I have not yet installed the engine, so I am not positive that they are the correct ones.

The markings on the box are

Mounting Kit
MGF by Lord Corp 76005
Cure Date: December 2005
FAA/PMA Gulfstream 500,
Piper PA-23-250, PA24-260,PA-25-235,
PA-25-235, PA25-250
Siai Marchetti Model S-208, SF-260
SF-260M, SF260W
Lord Ref: Batch No: 0010337245

Lord Corporation
1-877-ASK-LORD

Hope this helps.

Larry Rosen

Larry, when did you get your kit? I have never seen Lord mounts in the Van's kits. They have always been Barry mounts and I just had them deleted from the kit. :(

Vic

Larry, when did you get your kit? Van always used the Barry mounts, and I just deleted them from the FWF kit. :(

Vic

I ordered it in December of 2005,
The markings on the box have a cure date of December 2005.

WOW, I sure have been slow building. The parts have been sitting around for 3 years.

Larry

I talked to Paul at Lord today. Here's what he recommends:

I'd suggest using our J-3804-28 mounts for the IO-540 engine with the small ears, (4) kits per engine. This kit includes our "LM damper" silicone-filled spacer to reduce motion at start-up and shut-down.

Vic

I am curious what is wrong with the stock mounts that come with the kit. This is the first discussion I have seen on this. I just mounted my engine a couple of weeks ago. Or is this just a personal preference.

Thanks Geoff

Nothing really wrong with them. The Lord mounts have an extra dampener in them to help with start up and sutdown shake, and could seem to be a little smoother.

Vic

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, so now you've got me worried. How do I know if I have the right mounts vs the wrong ones? I'm not keen on taking the engine back off again. I installed the mounts that Van's sent me.

PJ Seipel
RV-10 #40032

Okay, so now you've got me worried. How do I know if I have the right mounts vs the wrong ones? I'm not keen on taking the engine back off again. I installed the mounts that Van's sent me.

PJ Seipel
RV-10 #40032

I wouldn't worry too much, especially if they fit the engine and the mounts. The 1st 2 sets Van's sent wouldn't even accept the bolts.

I got the correct ones

I sent an email out to Van's over the weekend and I got a response back from Rob that the mounts I have are the correct ones for the 540 engine.

Larry

Before I place my order for the Lord mounts for my -10 from Van's Monday, has anyone found a cheaper source for these? I am finding that Van's price is a lot better than the usual suspects but it doesn't hurt to ask.;) Thanks.

Before I place my order for the Lord mounts for my -10 from Van's Monday, has anyone found a cheaper source for these? I am finding that Van's price is a lot better than the usual suspects but it doesn't hurt to ask.;) Thanks.

When Vans shipped me three sets and back ordered the fourth, I ended up getting one from ACS. I think it was a little less expensive, but it wasn't significant. Note that some places will price match.

My FWF kit has just been delivered and the boxes with the mounts in are marked "Lord". I can't comment on the part numbers etc as I am away from home.

Van's still sells them for $125.00, Aircraft Spruce's are now 192.99 and Skygeek's price is $271.99! :eek: Looks like I will order from Van's today before they get wind they are selling them too cheap!

Van's still sells them for $125.00, Aircraft Spruce's are now 192.99 and Skygeek's price is $271.99! :eek: Looks like I will order from Van's today before they get wind they are selling them too cheap!

ACS will price match, or at least they used to......

Which ones are you looking at from SkyGeek? These are the ones I have: http://www.skygeek.com/j3804-20.html

-Rob

No, the J-3804-28 isolators. I am probably comparing apples to oranges here as Vic suggests using the -28's and there is no real info in this thread as to which one Van's is supplying,,,,the -20'sor -28's? I'll see when they arrive as I placed my order. They probably do not come with the internal isolators but I will be OK with the per-plans parts.

Last edited:
ACS will price match, or at least they used to......

I always try to purchase from the vendor that has the best advertised price up front. I only do a price match purchase if there is a really compelling reason to do so. Thanks for the reply's!

No, the J-3804-28 isolators. I am probably comparing apples to oranges here as Vic suggests using the -28's and there is no real info in this thread as to which one Van's is supplying,,,,the -20'sor -28's? I'll see when they arrive as I placed my order. They probably do not come with the internal isolators but I will be OK with the per-plans parts.

Hopefully they're shipping the ones in the plans (which were the -20s at least when I did mine).

-Rob

Just an update on the Van's motor mount isolators. Mine arrived today from Van's and they are Lord's J-3804-20 and do not come with the internal vibration shocks as do the -28's so that is why the big difference in price.

resurrecting old thread

... in light of my current research.

Mothership held my order for isolator mounts to inform me they are changing vendors from Vibration Isolation Products (now owned by Desser) to Barry. Price will change from $125/mount to $140. They have three pcs of old stock remaining and don't recommend mixing them - what would I like to do?

Got online and learned that the VIP # for the equivalent of the Lord 3804-20 is a VIP 50804-20. I found those for sale at Spruce:
08-07108 VIP ENGINE MOUNT 50804-20 $114.75

Assuming these are in fact a suitable substitute, I will be ordering and installing them - and reporting back here. I still plan to get the bolt kit from Van's - eliminates uncertainty and seems to be competitively priced.

I wanted to help out any other -10 builders looking for isolation mounts.

On a semi-related note regarding pricing, I'm told by B&C that the four genuine Lycoming studs they sell as part of their alternator/oil filter adapter spacer kit cost them $80 each. :eek: :eek: :eek: If so, they're not making much on the $360 kit price. Makes one wonder if someone besides Lycoming makes an airworthy stud for this application.

Aaaaaaand... they're showing no stock at East or West. I guess we'll see how long this takes. Can't afford too much delay here as I'm almost out of things to do besides cowl and baffle/FWF.

Last edited:
Lord vs VIP

A couple of my RV-10 lord mounts looked like they needed to be replaced at about 900 hours. I was able to get good info from Lord regarding inspection criteria including allowable eccentricity (sag), and minimum allowable thickness. Here's the sheet:

https://www.wagaero.com/media/pdfs/LordMountApplicationGuide.pdf

According to Lord tech support, J3804-20 (kit number) includes two isolators, part number J3049. So we are to use the J3049 entry in the sheet.

I called VIP tech support and asked for similar inspection/airworthiness guidance (eccentricity, thickness) for the VIP product. VIP told me they bought the product line from somebody else, and they were never able to give me any inspection/airworthiness criteria.

So I bought more Lord mounts (J3804-20). It seemed worth the price difference to buy from a company that knows their product.

Last edited:
VIP 50804-20 mounts arrived today drop-shipped from the factory. They fit perfectly and bolted up snug.

Had a little problem with the Van's-supplied bolt lengths - needed a little relief filing in the nut castellations in order for the cotter pin to pass through after bottoming out on the spacer and reaching max torque. A thinner washer would have solved the problem but I had none on hand.

Engine mounting went very quickly with an engine hoist and helper - no special tools required, "bullet" bolt guide not used.

I can't attest to the performance of the mounts since I'm still building, but the fit is fine, and the price is right. $114.75 ea at Spruce.

Last edited:
Old thread

So are there any updates to the engine mount thread? Are Lord preferred to whatever Van's is selling now? What about price? ACS is listing the price at for one of the mounts in this thread, J-3804-28, at $282.95.

-Marc

Last edited:
Lord mount

As reminder there are two options- with the dampener-28
Without the dampener- -20

I just replaced mine since they were showing cracks and Vics seminar encouraged me to do it. I used the 3804-20 and my plane is as smooth as it was with the original -28
Spruce sells the lords -20 for about $191 Each. You need 4 as they are sold as a pair.

I have four original sets that came with my kit circa 2013.
These were used for approximately 200hours and then pulled in 2016 due to a prop gov fail inspired engine pull and were replaced with new. They had a slight set when pulled but are now normal and perfect.
$150 plus shipping for the lot.
myron@kitplanes

New PIREPs on Barry vs. Lord engine mounts?

I see posts here from several years ago about Lord engine mounts. I'll be installing in the next few months and wondering if there are new PIREPs for either.

Vans RV-10 FWF kit currently has "EA DYNA VI I(O)-540 BARRY" for $140 per pair.

I see Lord Elastomeric Engine Mounts "J-3804-28" for $394 per pair at Spruce.

Opinions on whether the upcharge is worth it?

Thanks!

Back