What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

List of all mods

AndyWAUS

Hi all,

I’m still at the beginning of my build project currently working on the elevator. Initially I thought I would just build the standard plane per Van’s instructions. By reading a few threads here I realized that there is a way to save some build time by purchasing preassembled parts, such as an instrument panel or the wingtips with reinstalled lights and wiring. I also found that there are supposedly better variants for standard Vans options, like the brakes or door seal.

All of it is some spotty knowledge I accidentally come into here and there. I wonder if there is a compiled list of all available third-party options for the RV-10. Or a list of the manufacturers. So far I know about these two:
http://iflyrv10.com/
https://www.aveoengineering.com/

Thanks!
Andy

Upd: hope I’m not breaking forum rules by posting links. I’m not affiliated with either of the two companies.

Last edited:
No simple answer

Hi all,

I’m still at the beginning of my build project currently working on the elevator. Initially I thought I would just build the standard plane per Van’s instructions. By reading a few threads here I realized that there is a way to save some build time by purchasing preassembled parts, such as an instrument panel or the wingtips with reinstalled lights and wiring. I also found that there are supposedly better variants for standard Vans options, like the brakes or door seal.

All of it is some spotty knowledge I accidentally come into here and there. I wonder if there is a compiled list of all available third-party options for the RV-10. Or a list of the manufacturers. So far I know about these two:
http://iflyrv10.com/
https://www.aveoengineering.com/

Thanks!
Andy

Upd: hope I’m not breaking forum rules by posting links. I’m not affiliated with either of the two companies.

One of the benefits of EAB is the ability to customize your build. However, that flexibility to build as you please does bring with it some challenges. Is the desire to "save some build time" your overriding priority? If so, that probably limits the mods you will want to do (and there are dozens you could do).

Very few of the mods I have done so far on our RV-10 build have actually saved build time. Ordering quick build fuselage and wings (I did slow build for skill building and customization) probably is the number one time saver, although with the lead times from Van's reportedly approaching 10 months - that may not work with your schedule.

Cee Bailey windows fit better with less work than the Van's transparencies. You can get tinted windows from Cee Bailey, as well.

The Showplanes cowl has better fit and finish.

A panel from SteinAir, Aerotronics or Advanced will save you months of work.

A full interior from Aerosport or SFSA is available.

Edit - Pre-made lines from TS Flightlines/Aircraft Specialty - definitely a time saver

If your budget and schedule allow, one of the build assist centers (there are several in the PNW) will dramatically speed up your build, provide you with the technical resources you might need, allow you to see and prioritize some of the mods you might want to do and provide oversight for a high quality build.

Last edited:
Krea, thank you for your detailed reply. Will include the mods you mentioned to my to-consider list. For now it’s hard for me to tell whether I want a particular 3rd party option vs the standard. Like the Showplanes cowl you mentioned or a composite tailcone skin the same company makes. I guess I won’t really know until I get to that particular step of the build.

Saving build time is a strong driving factor for me. Because of that I will probably forgo many of the mods mentioned elsewhere - there is an endless list of them, it seems, and most add to build time rather than saving time. On the other hand I am very interested in the panel that you say saves months of work.

At least currently I can’t dedicate more than a few hours a week to the project, and unfortunately also can’t dedicate an uninterrupted stretch of time for assisted building. I would really love to work with synergy air as you recommended before. I came to this project with zero skills, so assisted build would be ideal for me if only I could take that time off. :)

I’m gathering info for future consideration as I’m still building the empennage. But I have come to a conclusion building it for the past 8 months that at the current pace, if I ever want to fly, I should really get a QB wings and fuse and also save time by getting a premanufactured panel, wingtips, and whatever else I can find. Initially I wanted to do all slow build, but underestimated how much there is to do.

Andy

Look at myrv10.com. Some of the data is dated, since Tim finished building his 10 quite awhile ago. However much of it is still pertinent and good advice.

I'd bet that a number of the mods are intended for other purposes than saving you time. If time is the most critical thing, buy a flying RV-10. Otherwise carefully consider what your flying needs will be and what the added weight will be of any mods.

My own non-RV-10 experience is that any change costs time. Sometimes much time.

Dave
RV-3B now on the canopy

Mods

I’ve spent all of my build time over the past week fabricating and installing access panels in the rear seat and baggage floors as well as running conduit. None of this was in the plans, and definitely took much more time than I expected. Much easier to follow instructions than trying to figure it out yourself.

South Florida Sport Aviation in Del Ray Beach Florida provided the entire interior for last year's AOPA Sweeps RV10. They are wonderful people to do business with. I purchased my RV9A seats from them. The quality and customer service is unmatched.

Back