What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming update - 10 months lead time

Just a public service announcement

I ordered a Lycoming IO-390 Thunderbolt through Vans April 2019.....was told at that time delivery would be Oct 2019 but "lead times are coming down and expect it possibly by the August or September".

update this morning "Currently we have your engine to ship in early January. We are decreasing our lead times though and I am hopeful we will be able to ship it earlier than that."

For those of you building plan accordingly......
build on......until you can't.
Mark

PS. Anyone looking for the 72" 2 blade Hartzell, I may have a new one in box for you. Toying with the idea of changing my propeller selection. Get ahold of me if interested. Minnesota.

Just a crazy question for those that know: Is the lead time problem a parts production issue, or not enough builders to to the assemblies?
Just asking---

Tom

I'd hazard a guess that high numbers of RV-14 builds and the XP-382/400 debacle is pushing demand over what was anticipated a year ago. Hard to ramp up production a bunch in a short time.

Thanks for the info

I need to start thinking about this....

When during the build is it best to install the engine. I?m in the early stages of the fuselage kit.

Thanks for the info

I need to start thinking about this....

When during the build is it best to install the engine. I?m in the early stages of the fuselage kit.

After you complete the canopy, in my opinion. To me (QB), that was the largest task to complete before installing the engine.

delays

the engine delay has been problematic for some time now, for me, i installed all my avionics and electrical systems to gap the delay = no building down time, but it was close. :D

I'm interested in the prop.

Rgds
BW

I ordered the engine and a Hartzell prop at Oshkosh and the prop arrived 2 weeks ago. Scared now to find out when the engine will. Doing the canopy now so I?m thinking we may be doing the avionics as well while we wait.
This has been an issue for over a year now, you?d think they?d have got a handle on this by now and started reducing the backlog.

Kerry

A possible workaround for this delay

I was advised to create a dummy engine to do all my firewall forward work. This avoids a situation where you've invested tens of thousands of dollars on a lump of metal that will be sitting on the front of your project for a year or more while you finish. By the time you finish your warranty maybe expired. You also don't have to worry about the dummy engine rusting while it's just sitting there. Between scrounging from friends and the local aircraft engine rebuilder, I've been able to piece together most of the parts of an IO-360. The fuel and ignition parts are the items that I will eventually use on the real engine. Doing this has several advantages. Number one it keeps a fair amount of money in your bank account and not hanging needlessly on the front of your project. Number two, it allows you to do all the firewall forward and cowl installation work before you actually make that big engine purchase. If you have an engine rebuild shop within driving distance I would suggest you go visit them. Be sure to explain to them exactly what you want to do. You only want red tag parts. The crankcases I'm using have a 3-inch hole in them and the crankshaft was broken in two. It's best to install all the parts so that the engines weight will be correct. If you leave any large pieces out, the dummy engine may not have the correct motor mount sag. That will affect the mounting of the cowl assembly. Just a suggestion and worth what you paid for it.

Charlie

lead time for non-Thunderbolt Lycoming

Could folks share what have been the recent lead times of their non-Thunderbolt Lycoming orders for the RV14(A)?

Thanks,
Alex

Non Thunderbolt IO390

I ordered mine end of July. I received a projected Dec 20 ship date. My plans were to see it actually in Q1 2020. Vans requested final payment mid Dec. The engine shipped last week and ready for delivery this Monday. Looks like 6 months may be the right planning number - knowing it might also show up a month early.

I ordered at Sun & Fun last year

I ordered the Thunderbolt 390 for our RV14A at Sun & Fun last year. And when I emailed last week they said (dated December 23 19') "We should be starting the engine in about 2 weeks. I am hoping we can ship it before end of January."

Larry

Just a public service announcement

I ordered a Lycoming IO-390 Thunderbolt through Vans April 2019.....was told at that time delivery would be Oct 2019 but "lead times are coming down and expect it possibly by the August or September".

update this morning "Currently we have your engine to ship in early January. We are decreasing our lead times though and I am hopeful we will be able to ship it earlier than that."......

Ordered our IO390 Thunderbolt engine 10/29/19. Was originally told to expect a July ship date (9 months). That was updated this last week to September (11 months). It looks like the lead times are going up, not coming down.

We will definitely be waiting on the engine.

I ordered my IO390 Thunderbolt in mid-Nov 2019 and was told by Jeff at that time that I should plan for delivery in a year. I'm assuming 10-11 months is a reasonable lead time estimate which should work well for my build.

I ordered my standard IO-390 Aug 9 and just received my letter from Vans to have final payment by Feb 17 with shipment to follow

Thanks - it seems that the standard engines are taking about a half a year, and the Thunderbolts are creeping toward a full year. I appreciate the responses!

_Alex

To AlexC:
My RV 7 Lycoming YO-360-A1A was ordered from vans 2/21/2019 invoice date 7/3/2019, shipping Date 7/2/2019 departed on 7/3/2019 arrived in Denver 7-3-2019 went to South Holland, IL 7/4/2019 back to Denver, Co then to my hanger on 7/9/2019
It came with a Avstar AV10-4164-1 P/N 61C26047 carburetor instead of a
MSA carb which Van's said. The Starter is a Hartzel-31A28861-Y H-T021229 which was also differant than i was suppose to get,(couldn't find any info on that). The grey paint on the engine wasn't as good as it should be as some was peeled off. The lower engine cap for carb install was leaking the preservative and it is real sticky stuff, I'll have to ask them how to clean that out of the engine as I didn't understand what they had in theirr info that was with the engine. The engine came with no engine manual or any drawing of oil line connections etc. just some info of what i shoud do before running it. I'll have to call them for more info and maybe get a manual etc.

Thanks for the help Carl N: I did call their support and they gave me those same manuals by email.

UPDATE: Ordered the T-Bolt April 2019 and got word today it should be shipping this week! Roughly 9 month lead time.....pics to follow when it arrives.

As far as the propeller I was toying with an idea of selling, $$$ says I keep the one I have. But for my next airplane............

Build on.
Mark

UPDATE: Ordered the T-Bolt April 2019 and got word today it should be shipping this week! Roughly 9 month lead time.....pics to follow when it arrives.

As far as the propeller I was toying with an idea of selling, $$$ says I keep the one I have. But for my next airplane............

Build on.
Mark

What color did you go with for the engine? And the copper/brass covers?

Haven't ordered mine yet, but I have it on good authority from my children that red is the fastest color.

Build on.
Mark

Mark, why are you considering selling your prop? Which one are you installing? I'm expecting my prop to arrive next week but the power plant not until mid-year, probably right after AirVentures.
Marty

Color - deep blue case with green jugs. I know sounds odd but matches the airplane paint scheme

Prop - I was considering it as I wanted a 3 blade. My reasoning was that spending the extra on a t bolt would be wasted somewhat by putting on a 2 blade. I just can?t put the extra cash on a 3 blade at this time.....and I talked to my local prop guy and he thinks with the discount I wouldn?t lose that much selling it later with 300 hours on it

Lycoming T bolt lead times

All,

I ordered my Thunderbolt engine in November. Jeff tells me that I should expect a late September delivery, but hope fully sooner. Nine- ten months seems to be the norm, so plan accordingly.

a long time

Ordered mine from Jeff in person at Sun & Fun 2019 and it came last week 1/24/2020. But still excited as can be! It's red. The build took longer so it worked out well.
Larry

FYI I ordered my stock Lyc 390 and prop on 10/31/19 and received my engine on Feb 13. 3 1/2 months is not too bad

Just one data point, but here is an update on the backlog at Lyc -

I ordered my Thunderbolt -540 in August. Was told there is about a 9 month delay. Got an email today that I should expect it around the end of the year.

So, looks like the wait list is down to about 5 months, at least for my type.

Lycoming lead time

We ordered our engine through Vans on 24 March 2020 and it rolled up the driveway 16 July 2020.

Update from Van's - Lycoming says they are shipping my 540 on Jan 20. I ordered it in the first half of August. So, more like a little over 6 months than the 5 I said above.

Just got word that my Thunderbolt IO-540 is on the shipping platform. Another month sooner than expected.

Time from ordering to shipping was 4.5 months. Was told 9 months when I ordered it. Clearly they are bringing the backlog down rapidly.

Engine lead time

Odered t bolt 390A model Jan 2019 changed to the exp119 , received the engine in Oct. the catch being you have to wait for FWF kit, baffles,exhaust, cowling conversion. Could be in January more than likely February. Definitely a waiting game. The biggest lesson learned from building is patience.
Merry Christmas
Dave

Update on EXP119 Lead Times

I ordered my Thunderbolt EXP110 on 19 Oct 2020 and it arrived today. Jeff was honest with me and kept me informed of the progress (and the not progress). When I ordered the engine in October, Jeff said the lead time would be about six months, so they didn't go over by much.

Back