What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New (3-25-2014) Garmin G3X Products

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
GDU 460/465 10.6? Touch Screen Displays

We are very pleased to announce G3X Touch and some great new display options. The GDU 460 and GDU 465 displays are state-of-the-art 10.6? diagonal, 1280 x 768 pixel, high performance, infrared touch screen displays designed from the ground up to be the highest quality, best performing, and easiest to use displays in the industry. Link to G3X Touch video.

ACtC-3d0qCLvl5mPh84GjLBFsY1Gleo4wiY2CxoOyVQ8i65kaMtCTetG4Xsjup0aT7TuGEeracJIdnyulNp3sGPunaIgOjFVTk3T4b0nsj4FcP5bOMfnTaaFDztyRUVOFroix432zc246M1vH19BsDDh8fxf=w800

ACtC-3fZYMfKLrJiKYcoXSiPdh5UjKEiydQJEjPFZeOyBhKeqVuh_I9u5tYFqCD0-_isChyYaBfEdEAv_ubyTI5sFFMc96LDfH6QOtICKkiJOJ1hFl9E1rq3BoNVd29p4TsMHzQcyFwhhz8pTqlb-WKPepso=w800

ACtC-3d9drrHdvtPS3KeyGm9t6-Npr2Hjs3ZcWCaNtYfbciJg5DKqgPB1RHbwF0DUf9ktnjNQ7HTxxIaVrjwgaC7aKlkKbPOiYJzzgxhrp72Jdy56A5Bu602To1ikYPKfTyVT6G7iRgS7bypf4e60_Zdivtx=w800

ACtC-3cwPqWjJHvo6WlFbAmyLsRTF6cwdLd6Tsf_0kOK-WvJ6dqnOXoFgCIe_4aox-M2bbQY8W1JTPajuLNIOjcqa8gzpUwafOHmtC-mpPsJMwGOSkfzwWEKP98fV_X7I28MChTVWtVx2NtBUDnxOGw81FjT=w800

The GDU 465 display includes a built-in SiriusXM weather and radio receiver (just add external antenna), similar to the present GDU 375 display. Both the GDU 460 (without SXM receiver) and the GDU 465 come standard with a rear mounted BNC connector to support composite video input capability.

The Garmin VIRB action camera or other compatible video cameras can be connected and the video image can be viewed in a PFD inset window, on a split screen panel, or on the full width of a dedicated MFD.

While we are proud of the user interface on the GDU 370/375 displays, we knew we wanted to significantly change the user interface and optimize for a touch screen, while retaining support for dedicated knobs and buttons where it made sense and where it improves efficiency for the user. For example, in the above image the left dual concentric knobs are dedicated to changing Heading and Altitude even though there is full touch screen support to touch those fields and use the touch screen keypad to edit. Similarly, the Direct To and NRST buttons were retained for user convenience.

While capacitive touch is an excellent user interface for touch screens, we chose a multi-touch (with pinch zoom) infrared touch screen design for a couple of reasons. First, the infrared touch screen can be used even when wearing gloves, and secondly, this design requires no sensing element be incorporated into the LCD assembly which might in any way reduce image quality. Infrared IR touch screen technology is also utilized in Garmin?s GTC 570 touch screen controller which has been used for several years in G2000/3000/5000 equipped aircraft.

We used the same 50 pin connector on the back of the GDU 46X displays that is used on the GDU 37X displays. You can actually unplug a GDU 37X display, plug in a GDU 46X display, turn on the power, configure the display, and it will begin operating with the existing G3X system ADAHRS, engine interface, autopilot servos, and other components.

The GDU 46X displays are also equipped with a wireless interface that we are using to control the Garmin VIRB action camera to start and stop the video and take pictures. You can install a VIRB camera inside your aircraft pointing to the side at your wingman, see the image on your G3X Touch display, and start/stop video recording and take pictures using the video touch control panel on the GDU 46X.

ACtC-3efAsZNCwmL_X_R6PsKCephOdrX8DwnQ2TUJen1IX6J8NRjOSKWvyDsYfdwGN9Ir1EWPabtvB6QiFv_jmEXUCBgz6xoAbd0MIMdYsGn2GcEcWktFBTlOCTAYcalB9H4_dZ8ibMKl111KZHzvbIAb2Ti=w800

This image shows the "Photo Taken" message that pops up after you touch the "take a picture" button on the right. You can take a picture that is stored to the camera SD card at any time, even when recording a video. During video recording, a record time indication is presented in the camera control area.
ACtC-3f-nZB-fROvvpl7t0zrJjDjfDFBmQTpKCEDVn7D9-YiVkTG1OOcZjEbK88YSVBYoLq2fHDBvswPe-gIfP5g0R0OT9QXH-2L9OeUs9rdPiPt8jVvGiKn6e84I6iCRZfcsj7B36MiaEslAu0j6a1FaTDM=w800

GTR 20 Remote 10W COM Radio

We are also pleased to announce the availability of the GTR 20 remote COM radio to be used with G3X Touch systems. The GTR 20 was co-developed with the GTR 200 and has the same specifications (but weighs only 1.2 lbs). The GTR 20 offers pilots an ideal solution for a clear, powerful communication radio and intercom, which is controlled from the G3X Touch display. The 10-watt radio provides advanced features such as 3D audio, 2 place stereo intercom, stereo music input, alert inputs, and standby frequency monitoring. Frequency identification is available on the display of G3X Touch so identifiers such as, ?KOSH ATIS? are displayed as the pilot tunes the frequency. The combination of the remote COM radio and transponder provide pilots the option to fly VFR with everything they need controlled right from the display thus saving panel space.

ACtC-3ejWiscxocKgUsleqHWexQ3570vkKbOBJ9EdQWBBoCXAAVq7gfwseyLiRsxk7Yf94ho1fwk060kpNdmsEUgizSskndWOgIe5a6ElTB1pAnL45egxr_SNvPVZZAoHus-XsgQjlVflYeFhi2U91UFlLnp=w640

Using the radio and stereo intercom from the touch displays is so easy and intuitive you may soon wonder how you ever tuned a radio without a touch screen. In this example, the user touched the STBY radio frequency area at the top of the display to bring up the touch tune panel similar to how this is done on a GTN 750. You can tune the frequency directly using either the buttons on the touch screen or the dual concentric tuning knobs in the lower right.

ACtC-3cNCHiKap889cIhqRkdb7nmj5G67lwqvw2Q1RK5A2ioTWL0ILpB_zFC1cH8EdMt0G_zvoCSs_Em-19eXEiiZSjtqG458F4vlWqfwioO1I98xXJ5qQ9uIIbiut5hdrtrpEkQqKsgEDBfyYjH73pY9PXF=w800

An even better method is to press the FIND button and be presented with frequency choices for Recent frequencies, NRST airports, Flight Plan airports, and User pre-defined frequencies so you just touch and tune. Loading frequencies for your departure or destination airport has never been easier. Of course the frequency identifiers are transferred and displayed in the active and standby windows.

ACtC-3c19G2coak9MSfsCIsWNzw0hiXW7ejD0DPcosU-5amW820OfKYE1L3vGSWpdxsYORyRb1l1arnqO6TIp7WpOuyKMnEGR6Xvy3F_Lo0L1iW7gyDJrj4g6_Pswqeh07eQFooUtufkUJQE1H1iKNCt5Bp0=w800

Good news if you already own a GTR 200 radio. We haven?t mentioned this until now, but every GTR 200 ever built is equipped with the same CAN bus interface (pins 6,7) as a GTR 20 that allows it to easily be added to the high speed avionics bus on a G3X Touch system and be touch tuned from the GDU 460/465. Your choice, use the controls on the GTR 200 and/or touch tune it from the display. You can even mix GTR 200 and GTR 20 radios in the same system if you like. If you want a second COM and don?t have the panel space ? remote mount it.

Dual COM Radio Example
ACtC-3fuDXfJSMLwD8WttcEpHpiiGQwjiC4N_tpKf9gzmxEd102rd6Ndrl5GNChw6LSiLwPixjoIh-sb6_lP7E7DqdlsqsfGh1RNFZzn1I2I63K8iWXGTf08_ntQbUBIPkqNy0C-JWH59EBT449jZ4eBIPx_=w800

Thanks,
Steve

--- Continued in next post ---

Last edited:
New (3-25-2014) Garmin G3X Products (continued)

G3X Touch RV-12

Of particular interest to RV owners is the co-announcement that Van?s Aircraft will be offering both single and dual display G3X Touch systems for the RV-12. Please refer to the Van?s Aircraft press announcement for availability information.

ACtC-3cXUl-bvPCIHV14821F2rKRHrYdOyz7BSMZbneMd4J5KbVMjxWxeAAUps0CqUc102214ERdaJUTsan05m-CMztLKmMpAzfmehnrFyvu4vAEPUsmBo-aQZz7-N3XOuTPJk__NmLnU-fZ5X2E93X5m6Xz=w720

The autopilot option for this system includes GSA 28 pitch and roll servos and a GMC 305 autopilot control panel. The pitch servo in this installation also provides auto-trim support for the pitch trim motor which is a very nice feature. Any time you disengage the autopilot, the aircraft is always in perfect trim which makes a great airplane even better and more fun to fly.

As shown in this image, the GDU 460/465 10.6? displays take up pretty much all available space and the result is pretty impressive! Although these displays are quite sizeable, their power requirements are modest enough that the RV-12?s electrical system can support a dual-display installation.

The GTR 200 10W COM radio and stereo intercom and GTX 23ES remote mount 1090ES transponder are also touch controllable through the displays.

ACtC-3fSIpayNM8FMwk5TtPSkXrNtmGa3OITTVD8FQGnSPBjyhu9-jU6sXQDqU0ouF7ZeJtUYZWhPVVkbXTrPlmpI2iYInAoNSkW26fRv5DOfS3Afm_3jhQT-DpzsjASdhcsOY72lI-lMkxFG2InUaR5-a7Z=w800

Touch screen intercom control
ACtC-3c12X6VR6WqLoYvR8hewjy3lRXDzXURfERdujn41n46HAf1tP9R6ohUcIG4_W1WVp_3C7vsumVOih2MZW7LhRVB767rUdpTmHx0xmpUAG4DKgXTjcQJ9Ok1AbHfAATlVccRQ4nZEFdJS4uy1wKEG9vn=w800

ACtC-3cp7C_RBfUG5cSmjfn-jEV0C39MXdNAVB81wGwx0i06zLKcSntTTsT8be5u_RmnWqDcwUZpKH6ekr5HPO0OXpKM5jeziwAZcWiOrZXYENL4Bw18N-seIbwioYjAe4Dxh026hCnsQL5p4iMBkvjzNG4p=w800

Autopilot Control Panel
ACtC-3eTgKO-CuwGnB1spNxfbwo_Wx3tjfblfeQMoilDvlrlP9FQx7GJ2kvwuxy1-qmUW227bWvpfW6kxVcsgULZmbIhajISSjkHZrA04sSTu3HBi_JoFaoxktjPiF-SrMdVrcTTNyUMpQ6XAfr96BHBIjBP=w800

As mentioned in our press release, we are also proud to welcome five light sport aircraft manufacturers with a total of thirteen aircraft that have chosen this best-in-class new system for their aircraft.

New Backup Battery

We also want to mention that the great people at TCW Technologies have developed another fine battery backup option.

ACtC-3evtFcmW496kwhekwuapI5_30Z11_v2p23zJarkxblZTkRkkr0QPsaR83ILyOHPljc0_x6rr0hNEgRe-hQ1o8RTP2avHm0CMa0tI1yiDfasdf9S6svFLkjUcTaKOOUsprRaxVqrIlk8u0DJ5NWb-err=w559

The brand new TCW IBBS-12v-3ah battery backup system uses a sealed Lithium-Iron-Phosphate (Li-Fe-PO4) battery and is being introduced with a list price of $230. The 3AH system weighs 1.1 lb and the aluminum enclosure is only 7.7" x 2.3" x 1.6", yet it delivers 5 amps maximum continuous current and 10 amps peak for radio transmissions and transient loads.

It has both an alert output that we use to trigger an "EMER BATTERY" alert on the PFD anytime the system is running from the backup battery and it has a battery voltage output that can be used for a full time readout of essential bus voltage on the EIS page. We installed one of these in the G3X Touch RV-12, and are pleased with the result. It is our understanding that Van's will include this system with all G3X Touch RV-12 systems.

New Lower Database Pricing

The new G3X Touch displays support all the charting, SafeTaxi, Airport Directory, and other databases common to G3X, but also add support for geo-referenced VFR Sectionals and IFR Hi/Lo charts.

The new U.S. Lite bundle adds VFR sectionals and IFR Hi/Lo charts used by the GDU 46X displays and will sell for only $149.99/yr. Reductions will also be made to the U.S. Mini (now $49.99/yr, Americas (with Jeppesen Nav Data now $399.99/yr), and Europe Lite (with Jeppesen NavData now $349.99/yr) database bundles.

Great G3X Touch System Pricing

A well-equipped, single display G3X Touch system, which includes synthetic vision, video input, a built-in WAAS GPS receiver, ADAHRS, magnetometer and OAT probe starts at $5,499 and G3X Touch with engine interface starts at $6,099. It actually costs about $400 less to buy a single display G3X Touch system than an existing dual display G3X system.

The GTR 20 remote COM radio is currently available for a MAP price of $995 and the GI 260 will be available for $249.

For those wishing to upgrade an existing G3X system to G3X Touch, the GDU 460 display will sell for a MAP price of $4,300. The GDU 465 display with SXM receiver built-in is $4,900. Keep in mind that this pricing includes mapping, Vertical Power support, and a built-in WAAS GPS that will cost you nearly $1,000 extra on some other systems.

At the present time, the new GDU 460/465 displays are not able to share a G3X system with a GDU 370/375 display due to significantly different programming, so those considering changing to the new displays should keep this in mind. As mentioned above, everything else behind the panel is compatible with the new displays.

We plan to finish up our system testing and begin shipping G3X Touch systems in April. We already have GTR 20 radios and some GDU 460/465 displays in stock.

Come see us at Sun-N-Fun. We have several G3X Touch systems to demonstrate and will be giving a seminar every day to answer your questions. Several Garmin dealers will also be showing G3X Touch and we believe the new RV-12, among other LSA/OEM aircraft will also be there featuring G3X Touch.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Sweet! I knew my life as a professional procrastinator would someday pay off. Now I just have to get off the couch and order a couple.

dimensions

Steve, I could not find the overall size of the screens (outside of frame). Could you post some dimensions ? Thanks Ron

Wow, can't wait to check this out next week at Sun-n-Fun!

I want to do an IFR panel. How will this integrate with one of the Garmin IFR GPS's?

-Dan

Wow, can't wait to check this out next week at Sun-n-Fun!

I want to do an IFR panel. How will this integrate with one of the Garmin IFR GPS's?

-Dan

Hello Ron,

The GDU 460/465 display outside dimensions are 10.85" wide x 7.82" high.

Hello Dan,

Integration with Garmin IFR navigators is just as complete as it has always been with G3X. Flight plans and procedures entered on the IFR navigator are accurately rendered on the moving map, and now the sectional display.

Those choosing to use the GTN series of touch screen navigators will notice a lot of similarity in the user interface.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,
Steve

G3X Touch

Team X - you all knocked it out of the park! Can't wait to see it next week at SNF. I'm about to starting buying for my panel, and you're at the top of the list. Looks awesome.

Dale

Steve,

Will they drive the COMM/NAV on the GTN series as well? I.e. similar to the 200?

Also, how does pricing of a dual screen compare to the three screen G3X?

-Dan

Great job guys. This certainly moves it up a notch (or maybe two or three) I have one year on my three screen G3X system and love it. Given the pace of technology and imagination we need to be comfortable with the fact that there will be wholesale changes in avionics and capabilities every four or five years. Instead of "Moores Law" we will start calling this the "Garmin law of avionics"

sounds awesome!

Will there be a remote radio for us european guys which supports 8.33 kHz spacing?

Since there is wireless capability built in, how about the capability to "push" the route into the device from an iPad app (preferably an open interface so guys like Skydemon, Foreflight, Wing-X etc. could be the source as well)? That would let us complete the flight preparation at the kitchen table (alternatively tent, train or mountaincave) and duplicate it exactly in the G3X in seconds.

Looking forward to see it live...

Mario (almost canoe stage)

Steve,

Definitely getting a system for the new plane!

If I upgrade my RV10, I wanted to make sure the system will work with the GSU73 in the older G3X systems. Also, GTS800 compatible?

Thanks!

G3X touch WOW

Thanks guys, you just made me obsolete! Just kidding. I knew something great was coming. I can't wait to check it out at Oshkosh in a few months. Keep up the good work.

Sorry all you other vendors, the bar has just been raised into orbit!

Steve,

Will they drive the COMM/NAV on the GTN series as well? I.e. similar to the 200?

-Dan

I second this question.

I've been planning on a GTN750 for the certified IFR source and a comm, it would be great to keep the dual comm feature of the G3X. I know it's a long shot, but it would be REALLY amazing if you could use that huge touch screen to enter data into a 650 or 750!

Now, a totally different question. I'm thrilled that you're including video in! Is it possible to underlay the video in place of the synthetic vision, or is the video always in an separate window?

Steve,

Also, how does pricing of a dual screen compare to the three screen G3X?

-Dan

Hello Dan,

The GTN 6XX/7XX doesn't support remote radio tuning from the GDU 46X displays, but they do have their own great touch screen tuning.

You can also install GTN 625/725 navigators without COM radio and install single or dual GTR 20/200 radios and touch screen tune through your GDU 46X display(s).

Please see our web site for GDU 37X systems pricing and GDU 46X systems pricing.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,

Definitely getting a system for the new plane!

If I upgrade my RV10, I wanted to make sure the system will work with the GSU73 in the older G3X systems. Also, GTS800 compatible?

Thanks!

Hello Sean,

Yes, the new GDU 460/465 displays will drop right into a G3X system using a GSU 73 ADAHRS and GTS 800 traffic system and work great.

Thanks,
Steve

Remote GTN

Dear Steve, with Fernando Abasolo we just order the tail kit of a RV-10 and we plan the new g3x system, we think it could be a good future release some gtn remote series so we can have the 3 screen system and a little touch control screen as the g3000 on the cessna TTx. I think there isnt space for a 3 screen plus radio rack in any plane.

Regards,

Hey Steve, with regards to the 2 screen package, does $500 add the GDU 465?

I figure Ray won't get any work done today ;-)

Rick
Southampton, Ont

Way to hit it out of the park TeamX.

Like Danny, I am now obsolete but that is the way of experimental avionics and everyone needs to understand this before they sign up for any system....

Now everyone has a choice, you can go portrait or landscape depending on your choice. Want a touch interface or all buttons and knobs, you now have a choice.

Some cool newly supported features and remote control capability. I can see the video input increasing sales for one of the FLIR cameras.

Last edited:
Compatibility with GDU370

I too second compatibility with the GDU370.
If they had the ability to have both (I have a 2 screen on left system now),
I would move one of the screens to the right side of my panel (where I don't have room for a 10"), and replace the 2 on the left with one 10". That still gives me the 2 screen redundancy.

Not even flying yet (this week!), and already outdated :(

sounds awesome!

Will there be a remote radio for us european guys which supports 8.33 kHz spacing?

Since there is wireless capability built in, how about the capability to "push" the route into the device from an iPad app (preferably an open interface so guys like Skydemon, Foreflight, Wing-X etc. could be the source as well)? That would let us complete the flight preparation at the kitchen table (alternatively tent, train or mountaincave) and duplicate it exactly in the G3X in seconds.

Looking forward to see it live...

Mario (almost canoe stage)

Hello Mario,

We don't have a remote version of the GTR 20 that supports 8.33 kHz spacing.

We do, however, have some great new capability to touch tune a 8.33 kHz GTR 225. You can setup 1 or 2 GTR 225 radios, connected via RS-232, and touch tune them from the top bar of the GDU 46X similar to shown above. One limitation we have with those radios is that we cannot command the frequency swap, so you will need to push the swap button on the radio (or use remote discrete swap) anytime you need to to swap standby/active frequencies.

Who knows, maybe some cool wireless stuff down the road.

Thanks,
Steve

Any chance for a package discount on the GTN 625?

I thought it might be a nice "touch" for Garmin to offer some reduced pricing on the GTN 625 touch screen GPS with the G3X Touch system.

For those thinking about upgrading, how does the size of the panel opening compare between the new "touch" screen and two of the older G3X screens that are side by side?

Q: for g3xpert

By the time I get done typing this in it may have already been asked and answered. Nonetheless?

Q: Autopilot. Text from Garmin website says, "...industry-standard servo mounting kits available ? as well as airframe-specific versions for the popular Van?s RV series (RV-4/6/7/8/9/10 models)." What about servo mounts for the RV-12? Obviously, I've already installed mounts, but they are still easily changeable if necessary.

Q: Checklist library. Did not see any mention of checklists. Advise, please.

Nice work, guys (understatement warning light just came on)!

For those thinking about upgrading, how does the size of the panel opening compare between the new "touch" screen and two of the older G3X screens that are side by side?

Hi Jason,

From what I can tell, if you had the 2 GDU 370's approximately touching, the new cutout for the GDU 46x appears to be just about 1.2" smaller in width, but almost exactly the same height (actually about .010" difference). So, that means this screen should pretty much fit within the area of 2 of the smaller GDU's.

Cheers,
Stein

Steve,
Nice job! With the G3X, the weather can only be displayed on the mfd. Will the WX populate on all screens? I second Brian's statement. Next project is gdu370 compatibility for those of us with three screens.

I did a quick and dirty rendering of how this would look on my panel...

Keep in mind that Steve has stated that it is not possible to have this configuration at this time.

2yuyl5h.png

I really don't expect to be upgrading anytime soon, I just wanted to see how it would fit.

Steve,
Nice job! With the G3X, the weather can only be displayed on the mfd. Will the WX populate on all screens? I second Brian's statement. Next project is gdu370 compatibility for those of us with three screens.

Hello Bill,

Yes, the new GDU 46X displays each have a Bluetooth interface that gives us a new tool to work with.

We can now support direct traffic and weather feeds from a single GDL 39/39R to multiple displays using a combination of wired (to one display) and Bluetooth to the other display(s).

We are doing this in the dual display RV-12 and it leaves one Bluetooth connection to the GDL 39/39R open for a mobile device running Garmin Pilot to use.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,

Can you install dual ADHRS with the new G3X Touch?
Also, if I want the 16W and 8.33hz spacing for comms, do any of the Garmin offerings interface with the new G3X Touch?

Thanks,

Tim

Integration with GTN 750

Steve, congrats to you and the team on a very exciting product.

I will be installing one of these with a GTN 750 for my new IFR panel. I'm very limited on space, and only have space for a 750 if I lose the audio panel. (And even that's only possible because of your remote transponder and new remote GTR 20 COM - awesome!)

So I have this plan to make it work without an audio panel: take the COM and NAV audio outputs from the 750, switch them, and then connect to the G3X Touch's built-in intercom through an audio mixer. Separate physical switch to transfer the PTT from G3X to 750. (The GTR 20 has standby frequency monitoring, so I imagine I'd very rarely use the 750 as a COM anyway.)

1) The dual COM feature you describe - does this involve any form of audio switching? Or does it assume a separate audio panel? (If so, presumably I'd need to turn the volume all the way down to "deselect" the GTR 20 audio.)

2) What are the audio inputs for the intercom - 1 unswitched and 1 switched (music)?

3) Thanks for the information on data pricing. Will we have to pay twice for separate subscriptions for the GTN 750 and the G3X Touch, or does Garmin have any discounts for combined packages?

U96! I recognize that identifier. Cal Black is one of the most beautiful places ive flown into or seen. Nothing there, but that is the point! ;)

With all the glass "candy" or "crack" vying for my attention, i sort of wish i had a piper cub now. ;)

(The GTR 20 has standby frequency monitoring, so I imagine I'd very rarely use the 750 as a COM anyway.)

The GTN650 so has standby frequency monitoring. Stands to reason the 750 does as well. I am not sure however since I don't have one.

I did a quick and dirty rendering of how this would look on my panel...

Keep in mind that Steve has stated that it is not possible to have this configuration at this time.

2yuyl5h.png

I really don't expect to be upgrading anytime soon, I just wanted to see how it would fit.

Hi Jason,

From what I can tell, if you had the 2 GDU 370's approximately touching, the new cutout for the GDU 46x appears to be just about 1.2" smaller in width, but almost exactly the same height (actually about .010" difference). So, that means this screen should pretty much fit within the area of 2 of the smaller GDU's.

Cheers,
Stein

Much like Brian, we've already done a layout drawing to replace the dual 370/375 configuration in our RV-6, and it will fit just fine - but the problem is then there is no room for a backup screen, since the 37X doesn't yet play with the new displays. So we're pondering....

Of course, we have a Gemini which provides actual "backup" for a G3X screen problem, but we always want more, don't we?:D

Steve,

Can you install dual ADHRS with the new G3X Touch?
Also, if I want the 16W and 8.33hz spacing for comms, do any of the Garmin offerings interface with the new G3X Touch?

Thanks,

Tim

Hi Tim,

Yes, as with the existing G3X, you can install up to 3 ADAHRS units in the system.

If you have a dual display system, you can even assign a different ADAHRS to the PFD window on each display and see two attitude/air data solutions at once.

See posting above about interfacing to the GTR 225. The GTR 225B is a 16W radio which supports 8.33 KHz spacing.

Thanks,
Steve

The GTN650 so has standby frequency monitoring. Stands to reason the 750 does as well. I am not sure however since I don't have one.

In this case, I'm trying to avoid using the second COM because it will be awkward to do so without an audio panel. The biggest reason for using a second COM is to monitor ATIS, but that's not necessary since the GTR 20 has standby frequency monitoring.

So do I even need an audio panel?

Two touch screens in my 9.
Two of the new remote mount radios.
GTN(?) for IFR

-Dan

Steve,

Thanks for the reply. I missed the post on the 225. If I go that route, I likely would just leave the G3X Freq change off since I still need to switch frequencies on the 225.
I am still a year a away but this is very cool.

Tim

Welcome to VAF!

Christian, welcome to VAF.

Wow, 2 guys who have lurked for years brought out by this thread :D

Last edited:
it will be available at SFN? I was about to bolt my brand new G3X on my panel, but i just closed my tool box and going to let everybody knows

FS. Brand new G3X Display only on sale!!!!!

Mike, thanks for the welcome. I am finishing a Berkut, expecting first flight this winter. VAF is the best forum for experimentalists.

Steve, congrats to you and the team on a very exciting product.

I will be installing one of these with a GTN 750 for my new IFR panel. I'm very limited on space, and only have space for a 750 if I lose the audio panel. (And even that's only possible because of your remote transponder and new remote GTR 20 COM - awesome!)

So I have this plan to make it work without an audio panel: take the COM and NAV audio outputs from the 750, switch them, and then connect to the G3X Touch's built-in intercom through an audio mixer. Separate physical switch to transfer the PTT from G3X to 750. (The GTR 20 has standby frequency monitoring, so I imagine I'd very rarely use the 750 as a COM anyway.)

1) The dual COM feature you describe - does this involve any form of audio switching? Or does it assume a separate audio panel? (If so, presumably I'd need to turn the volume all the way down to "deselect" the GTR 20 audio.)

2) What are the audio inputs for the intercom - 1 unswitched and 1 switched (music)?

3) Thanks for the information on data pricing. Will we have to pay twice for separate subscriptions for the GTN 750 and the G3X Touch, or does Garmin have any discounts for combined packages?

Hello RotorBailey,

It sounds like you probably have this figured out. A single GTR 20/200 takes care of everything including the 2 place intercom, but installing dual COM radios does require an audio panel to deal with MIC and audio switching between radios.

The GTR 20/200 each have one stereo music input and two unswitched mono alert audio inputs, but these are only useful for the single COM installation where the GTR 20/200 is performing the intercom function.

Your best place for database bundle pricing is www.flygarmin.com. There is a bundle that supports a G3X system with a GTN 6XX/7XX.

Thanks,
Steve

Tim, welcome to VAF:D

In that year you know these things will change ---------and change---------and change.................

Mike,

Thanks for the welcome. I expect some changes over the next year but not to much. I would expect a lot of changes over the next two-three years. :D
Reason for the delay, I need to sell my Aerostar then decide path forward.

Tim

Back