What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator Trim Motor Wires

AboveMSL

Well Known Member
I'm wondering if the elevator trim molex connector, near the motor, needs to be fastened/secured inside the motor bay or if it just floats freely in there?

Thanks,
Greg

2i9idrp.jpg

10msc5v.jpg

Wow. That was quick

Thanks for the quick reply Mike. I'm a first time builder, may I ask what technique you might use to secure it? My first thought was a dab of silicone.

cable tie mount

I like to pop rivet a small cable tie mount to the structure inside if able; otherwise a self-stick cable tie mount can be used. There are also other ways to keep wires from moving around such as tying to another bundle of wires; it depends on what else is nearby. I make sure that wires cannot chafe on anything and not get caught on any moving parts, especially control pushrods, etc.!

I wouldn't glue the connector; I'd use cable ties on the wires, close to the connector, both sides. No wires should be flopping around, anywhere.

Thanks for the quick reply Mike. I'm a first time builder, may I ask what technique you might use to secure it? My first thought was a dab of silicone.

Here is how I did the trim servo connectors on my 10. I used Deans connectors, but that doesnt matter----look at the tie down method. You can also see the black lacing cord I used to make sure the two halves of the connector will not separate accidentally.

No problems at 235 hours :D

You might try some self adhesive Velcro material?????

P4190044.jpg

P4190046.jpg

Last edited:
I used Velcro on mine too (and to secure the magnetometer as well, augmented by a couple of velcro straps around the unit and mount).

Mike, those Deans plugs are great. I've used a few here and there. A tight-fitting, quality connector with gold-plated contacts, available at hobby shops everywhere. Lacing cord is great; you can also put heat shrink around the whole connector, and cut it off with an X-Acto if removal is necessary.

Mike, those Deans plugs are great. I've used a few here and there. A tight-fitting, quality connector with gold-plated contacts, available at hobby shops everywhere. Lacing cord is great; you can also put heat shrink around the whole connector, and cut it off with an X-Acto if removal is necessary.

And, they are available up to 6 (or maybe more?) pin units, and all are polarized so you cant put them together wrong.

In the photo above, I modified a three pin so I could de-polarize it, and used that for the motor wiring, just in case I needed to reverse the trim tab direction. The polarized three pin unit is for the feedback pot wires.

Back