What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone installed the echo UAT/GRT GPS with a G3X?

AX-O

Well Known Member
I am working on another project and have a question regarding G3X and the echo UAT/GRT GPS.

I am very familiar with the GRT stuff but I came across a good deal on a set of G3Xs. One legacy GDU 370 and one GDU 375. All I have are the screens, no supporting equipment. So I am trying to design the avionic infrastructure.

Has anyone hooked up the UAT/GRT GPS with the G3X system? I have that ADS-B solution on my -4 and like it. I would like to do the same with this project to reduce the design time. Did you use the system architecture as shown with EFIS controller or without EFIS controller?

Also, I still don't understand why Garmin equipment is so ridiculously expensive. Over $500 for a simple OAT probe. Can I use a different OAT sensor with the same type of wires? Thank you.

I think you are asking if you can get adsb weather and traffic to display on the Garmin screens with the GRT adsb setup, the answer is no. If you want to display weather and traffic you must have a GDL 39 or GDL 50. (any variant). Garmin uses a proprietary protocol for this function so you have to have Garmin.

As far as the temp probe, I miraculously found a used GTP 59 for about half the price of a new one, however since I did my install I discovered there are alternatives. I believe in the Garmin G5 manual there is a reference to a few other probes that will work. There is also a pretty good diy solution, see link.

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=175216

One other thing to consider if you have only the screens you will need to get a configuration module for each screen, you will need to go through a Garmin dealer for these.

I think you are asking if you can get adsb weather and traffic to display on the Garmin screens with the GRT adsb setup, the answer is no. If you want to display weather and traffic you must have a GDL 39 or GDL 50. (any variant). Garmin uses a proprietary protocol for this function so you have to have Garmin.

Only the GDL39 will work with the non-touch GDU37X

Congrats Axel on scoring some great Garmin displays for your project!

While there are some lower cost options for the OAT probe (if that is all you buy), you will need some additional parts like ADAHRS and magnetometer to turn your GDU 37X PFD/MFD displays into a G3X system, so you will probably want to buy the K10-00016-14 System LRU Kit which bundles the GSU 25C ADAHRS, GMU 11 magnetometer, GTP 59 OAT probe, and Configuration Module for $1,500.

You only need 1 configuration module (included in this kit) for the whole system. It is installed in the PFD connector backshell.

Here is a link to the pricing list.

As Walt said, you will need a GDL 39 or GDL 39R for ADS-B traffic/weather. The first time you use Garmin Target Trend traffic, you will be really glad to have a Garmin ADS-B receiver to go with your Garmin displays.

Steve

Learned something new, Walt, thanks for clarifying, I did not realize the non touch required the GDL 39.

Steve, this is good advise on purchasing the installation kit. I did not, but I didn’t save enough money to justify the effort scrounging a used temp probe and other stuff.

Back