What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pulling the trigger on Dynon HDX system

papamike

Well Known Member
I'm ready to order the Dynon back-end components and the VPX Sport for my RV7 . Just to save money right now I'm not going to order anything yet that goes directly in the panel.
I have an RV7 slider with an AeroSport IO360-M1S and the Hartzell CS blended prop.

Have a couple of questions:

1. Does anyone have photos of their layout of the boxes on or near the sub-panel, with the VPX? Not sure about how to efficiently locate everything as far as wiring is concerned. I do plan on having two Coms.

2. I was thinking about putting the ADAHRS and the transponder in the Van's shelf (or something like it) just aft of the baggage area. My transponder and ADSB antennas are behind the baggage area. Any thoughts yay or nay?

I'm sure there's something else I'm forgetting to ask, but these are my big questions.

Thanks

Mock ups

I'm ready to order the Dynon back-end components and the VPX Sport for my RV7 . Just to save money right now I'm not going to order anything yet that goes directly in the panel.
I have an RV7 slider with an AeroSport IO360-M1S and the Hartzell CS blended prop.

1. Does anyone have photos of their layout of the boxes on or near the sub-panel, with the VPX? Not sure about how to efficiently locate everything as far as wiring is concerned. I do plan on having two Coms.

2. I was thinking about putting the ADAHRS and the transponder in the Van's shelf (or something like it) just aft of the baggage area. My transponder and ADSB antennas are behind the baggage area. Any thoughts yay or nay?

I'm sure there's something else I'm forgetting to ask, but these are my big questions.

Thanks

I spent an evening making mock up cardboard boxes. The next day I was suprised.
I fabricated two shelves. They are mounted with hinges fore and aft between the panel and sub panel. They can swing down either way or completely removed easily.

Check out the pictures on my website. Link below. Many pictures of how I laid out the components.

Look at the Advanced Flight AdvancedPanel installation manual https://www.advancedflightsystems.com/advanced-panel-support.php It shows some recommended locations for the remote components, substituting the VPX for the ACM should get you close.

Dynon makes a tray that fits behind the HDX screen that they use for certified installations. It is shown in one of the recent virtual booth visits that are archived on youtube. The tray adds some flexibility if needed.

Terminal blocks mounted to the subpanel work well for connecting the dynon EFIS harness to each of the components, especially if you have a 2 screen system.

I don't know the answer, but if you mount the ADHARS and transponder on the same tray, will that cause issues with the magnetometer in the ADHARS (unless you are planning on using the remote magnetometer)?

Here's a way to defer buying the LRUs until later.

Make mockups of all the LRU's out of foam and use double sided tape to figure out where to put them.

You can make up your wiring harness with these in place before you spend the bucks for the components.

panel6

Last edited:

Thanks

I am building a RV8 so my avionic space is different than yours. I found the Dynon avionic equipment are very compact. I was able to fit all the transponder, radio, adsb-receiver, EMS, 10" efis, backup efis, and the various avionic equipment right behind the panel. The ADAHRS is the only equipment that is located at a distance to mitigate any magnetic interference. Also, by locating most equipment together, my wiring runs are easy to assemble, and easy to debug. The Dynon equipment communicates on the serial bus so longer wire runs may cause noise issue, but I haven't seen it yet. These digital equipment need a lot of wiring so plan out how to run your wiring looms if you locate your equipment far away from the main EFIS.

PM your email and I can send you my setup pictures.

3d print

I was thinking it would be cool to do a quick SolidWorks sketch of the remote components. Then 3D-print those buggers.

You could even get the mounting holes dead-on so the holes or nutplates could be ready to go when you pull the trigger.

Anybody tried that yet?

Back