What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Eagle's Nest Projects - Travis Senft - 1st Solo on his 16th Birthday

Special Delivery

Well Known Member
Eagle's Nest Projects - Central High School (WI)
July 4th, 2019

Travis Senft completes 1st Solo Flight on his 16th Birthday

"He can't drive... but he sure can fly" -Mickey Ferguson, CFI

IMG_1720-L.jpg

July 4th, 2019, a beautiful day in southern Wisconsin and a perfect day for Travis Senft to celebrate his 16th birthday in the airplane (Van's RV-12) he and his classmates at Central High School recently completed. Travis is no stranger to building RV-12s; he helped his dad, Jim Senft, build the family RV-12 and he was a student-builder on both of Central high school's Eagle's Nest Projects RV-12 builds. "He can't drive... but he sure can fly", said his flight instructor, Mickey Ferguson, CFI.

Aside: I'll never forget the feeling of 'independence' I had as a teenager the first time I drove the family car all by myself; made the turn at the end of the street, parents now out of sight, Waaahooo... I'm free! Seeing that Travis doesn't have a driver's license and probably hasn't taken the family car out for a joy ride, I can only imagine what he was feeling when he expertly demonstrated three solo take-off and landings in an airplane he helped build. On second thought, I really can't imagine because nothing trumps flying an airplane, especially one that you helped build!

Congratulations, Travis, your personal accomplishment. Keep up the great work!

Last edited:
Not bad....Eagle?s Nest student..... and Eagle Scout.... first solo on his 16th birthday.... on the 4th of July. Thanks to Mickey Ferguson.... you?re awesome.

Back