What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV 14 VFR day/night panel, feedback please

I shall appreciate feedback/ideas on the proposed panel.
Especially the outlay of the screens and switches. What to omit/add/move.

Setup to pilot from both sides.
Future panel upgrade if mission changes.
VPX for breakers.
Remote transponder.
Two axis auto pilot.
Tosten 4 f(x) stick bought, so limited to 1)trim aileron, 2)elevator and 3)radio flip flop as well as 4)PTT.
Electronic CO sensor displaying on the G3X.

How necessary is an audio panel?
How usefull is a TOGA switch?

https://i.postimg.cc/LXL86vtT/Panel-JPEG-18-Feb19.jpg

Some thoughts:
- Delete the panel compass. Move the G5 (or perhaps a D10A) to that postion.
- As you might want to modify the panel for IFR, consider leaving room high in the center section for a GTN-650. Odds are if you do upgrade you will just buy new aluminum blanks so no worries for now.
- Delete the map box.
- As you note the Tosten grips limit your options. For example the Infinity Grips provide for all that you list plus the flap switch, TOGA button and more important an Autopilot disconnect. For your grips I recommend changing the comm flip/flop button to Autopilot disconnect.
- Make sure you understand the VPX product and follow the install instructions on providing backups.
- The Audio Panel can be deferred until upgrade. I assume the GTR radio has an internal intercom like the Dynon radio, so that will do for now.

Carl

The toga button is used for aborted instrument approaches. You won?t need it unless you decide later to go IFR.

Although you want to fly from left or right side, I would consider putting the start button and master switches on the left side to keep away from other switches.

I assume your starter button and mag switches will be on the left. If that is the case, move the P-mag test switches over there as well. You don't want to risk hitting them in flight.

Same with the Avionics Master, separate it, even a little bit, from the other switches so you don't accidently turn off your instruments at night, on approach, when reaching for the fuel pump or lights.

It is good you have a cigarette lighter power port but I would also add two USB power ports to the right of it and not put in the center console.

Dump the compass. That close to your EFIS means it may never work correctly. Besides, you are also going to have the G5 has your backup. (Think about replacing the G5 with a Dynon PocketPanel as the PocketPanel does not need to be connected to the pitot or static system and being from a different manufacture, a "common" bug won't take both down.)

Good luck, that is one check of a Day/Night panel!

Compass

Small bit of thread creep, but it goes to the two comments to remove the compass. My understanding may be off, but the heading is provided by the magnetometer not the AHRS or G5. If running off the backup battery on the G5 is the last ditch recovery mode, I would think a standby compass would be needed for magnetic heading information. Am I wrong that it wouldn?t be provided any other way while operating solely on a G5 battery with no other power or inputs?

I would recommend moving those switches to the left and right of the panel to free up space in the center radio stack for future use. Ya never know.

Agree with the comments, compass is not needed there. Maps are on an IPad now, lose the map pocket. You will find plenty to fill that panel space.

The GTR 200 has a best-in-class built in intercom. For a two seat aircraft like the RV-14, if you have a single COM, VFR aircraft the GTR 200 cannot be beat for a COM/Intercom combo, except by the GTR 200B which has all the great features of the GTR 200 plus Bluetooth. An audio panel is not necessary.

There are several questions regarding the G5 in this thread. I would like to point out a few things to think about.
  • The G5 was not designed to just be a low cost EFIS, it was specifically designed to be a backup for G3X. Careful consideration was given to using different hardware (processor, sensors, etc) and software algorithms.
  • The G5 can display attitude on the large G3X GDU if there is a GSU 25 failure.
  • The G5 can run the Garmin autopilot if there is a GSU or GDU failure
  • The G5 can have its own backup battery providing over 4 hours of backup attitude.
  • If the G5 loses the GMU 11, it will still display ground track in place of heading. This is arguably more useful than magnetic heading information in the case of an emergency.

Thanks,
Levi Self

RV-14 Panel

This may be an over kill for what your looking for, anyway this is what I did.

Last edited:
RV 14 panel

Thanks for the welcome feedback.
As suggested I dropped the glove box and compass, as well as rearranging the switches a bit.
Moved and changed the avionics switch to a toggle switch with a spring guard type.
Similarly changed the P mags swithes from rocker type to 3 way toggle switches. (off, run, test).
Some tactile differences might lessen the change of inadvertently shutting off some important component at night, as mentioned by Bill.

At this stage I am still keen to keep the G 5 in the centre stack for better visibility from the RT seat. That at the cost of major panel revamping for future upgrading.
Happy to hear the G5 less the GMU 22, could still show you the way home.

Moved and changed the avionics switch to a toggle switch with a spring guard type.
Similarly changed the P mags swithes from rocker type to 3 way toggle switches. (off, run, test).
That will work but I prefer Off / Test / Run.

Off is unpowered and grounded, Test is ungrounded and unpowered, and run is powered and ungrounded. That is unless you get a spring loaded switch that keeps you from running in Test mode.

The one main reason I like this layout better is you know if the switch is up, it is in the correct position.

You will also need an extra switch to apply power while they are grounded do you can set the timing.

There are pictures of my wiring on this page of my website. (I used a stereo plug, hidden on the subpanel, in place of a switch to power my P-mags for setup.)

Last edited:
Hi Kriegler, happy to see the progress towards making use of that test flying course we took this past spring.

I don't have a lot of comments on your panel design, but here are a few. I agree with losing the TOGO switch and definitely with putting the A/P disconnect on your stick rather than the comm flip flop. I've got a map box but it has limited accessibility in flight from the left seat, I can't reach to the back. I don't think I'd put that in next time, maybe 3D print an organizer to sit between the seats.

I see a lot of suggestions to remove the panel compass, and I agree it's not very useful - I never even look at mine. However, I'm fairly certain that in Canada a separate mechanical compass is a requirement. MDRA lists the following required equipment for final inspection.

First Aid Kit;
ELT;
Required Placards;
Portable Fire Extinguisher;
Gascolator;
Carburetor Heat, (alternate air source for fuel injection engine)
Independent Mechanical Compass

There's been a lot of debate on here about the compass (and gascolator), but you may want to confirm with MDRA before removing the compass.

One thing I have left in my panel is my handheld GPS (496, yes it is old) secured with an AirGizmo.

My thinking has always been that with its internal battery, I can navigate, should I have an electrical failure and should I survive a crash landing, I have a GPS to navigate on foot with that does NOT rely on a cell signal to work.

I think you need to answer two questions first.
-1. what do I want?
-2. what will the person who buys my airplane want?

I could be that most extra cost/features in a panel come from addressing (2). I am guilty as anyone!

Nevertheless, there are some important things to address, such as standardized placement of engine controls, switches (including stick grip) and primary electrical system design. Beyond that, it's up to you.

V

Back