What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DIY Jack Stands

dsmithlib

Well, it was supposed to be so easy!
Jack Stand Photos.......
https://plus.google.com/photos/103453237458744117565/albums/6081938896336413537

After my last RV7 Condition Inspection I vowed to improve my jack-ability. I reviewed all the posts and then had a few requirements of my own.
build without machining
be able to take apart for storage
use the harbor freight ram
I was able to order all of the parts from Speedy Metals and had very few cuts. There was a fair amount of drilling, grinding and cleaning. Welding was done with TIG tacking and MIG welding - it could have all done with either.

One of the critical dimensions using the HF ram is height. So this was done with flat stock on the bottom. At the top, the receiver is merely a collar that goes about an 1" over the top of the ram to receive my carriage bolt in the tie location.
It was fun. However, the only way to claim that I saved any money would be if I valued my time @ 3 cents per hour. Pretty much like the entire airplane build.

DMS

Well, it was supposed to be so easy!
It was fun. However, the only way to claim that I saved any money would be if I valued my time @ 3 cents per hour. Pretty much like the entire airplane build.

Dave, those are very nice.

It's such a pleasure to see a builder who does things just so.

Nice work Dave! Between the jack stands and the GSM hangar controller you've been busy!

Jack

If anyone ever says you don't know jack, they will be very mistaken :D

Nicely done. What was your all in cost?

Great Work! Could you possibly share the part numbers

Dave,

I've purchased the slave cylinders from Harbor Freight and am preparing to fabricate the mounting frame. I looked at the Speedy Metals website but don't know one piece from another. Could you possibly share the part numbers, sizes, etc. I'm sure many others would appreciate it also.

I have a friend with MIG welder who can weld it together.

Thanks

BOM for Jack Stands

I posted my bill of materials as a jpeg in the photo library.

Plus the following.....
For the base material, let Speedy send you the correct sized pieces. Order 2x24 and 4x9.5

Add some angle tab material to hold the base in position. It is not in my BOM.

Dave

Dave, your Google photos link is broken... Any chance of an update to move the content to your Blog page instead?

Back